Splatoon 2 |OT| HIGHTIDE ERA IS THE BEST

So how's the online service going? more or less disconnections? more stable?

i miss my salmon run plays but i'm enjoying the time out from the game for a bit.
it's literally the exact same
Yep, this. Nothing changed about the netcode or matchmaking, and at least for now it hasn't seemed to affect player behavior at all yet either.

In other news, I'm still blown away that my weapon with the highest turf war freshness is the Glooga Dualies. That should not be possible. Not sure if it speaks more to Gloogas being slept on or if I'm really just trash with all my real mains.

i miss my salmon run plays but i'm enjoying the time out from the game for a bit.
On weekdays it feels the same (as in "pretty good" - I hardly complain about my online experience connection-wise), but I felt like this Splatfest wasn't the shitshow it usually is. Very few matches with someone disconnecting, and got connection errors on the result screen only twice.
We'll never know if paid online had something to do with it though, especially with free week being a thing.

Some Splatfest thoughts:
- I'm surprised Modern won popularity. I chose Retro and there were several occasions where I fought against Retro peeps.
- I'm still not convinced by the Clout system. I played more than 50 battles, my last ratio was 35:15 and only once I got a 10x fight. Never participated in a 100x battle. The Clout system makes it possible, however unlikely, to lose the most battles and still earn the most clout at the end. I described my issues in this post: https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=12653112#post-12653112

it's literally the exact same
Netcode is the same but I got so many connection errors on the result screen (at least 10 during my last 50 matches).
Also, it seems to take longer to find a match and it constantly kicks me out of the lobby because not enough players joined or were found. It was very frustrating.

The Clout system makes it possible, however unlikely, to lose the most battles and still earn the most clout at the end. I described my issues in this post: https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=12653112#post-12653112
I suspect that is almost the entire point of the change. Before, there was generally an obvious team which would have fewer players, and more skilled players would use this to go to that team. Prior to the change, 9 of the last 10 splatfests in NA were won by the less popular team, same for EU, though I think some of these splatfests were shared, 8 of the last ten were won by the less popular for Japan. The more popular team was practically guaranteed to lose more battles because of how the game matched you with the other side if it could.

Now, even if you do get a big enough imbalance in the team skill levels, the victories of the less popular team aren't worth as many clout points as a straight 1 win - 1 loss , because of the way the game giving priority to battling the other team if possible, they'll get more (relative to the team size) battles that are worth clout, but each battle will be worth less clout, probably.

Got to wait and see if it has the opposite effect and causes the more popular team to almost always win/.

People were not joking about Octo Expansion's difficulty. This thing pushes mastery of all the mechanics to the max and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Enjoying the heck out of it though.

- I'm still not convinced by the Clout system. I played more than 50 battles, my last ratio was 35:15 and only once I got a 10x fight. Never participated in a 100x battle. The Clout system makes it possible, however unlikely, to lose the most battles and still earn the most clout at the end. I described my issues in this post: https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=12653112#post-12653112
https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=12653112#post-12653112

I don't see how it's possible for a much less popular team to win a Splatfest under the new rules. Losing teams usually still manage win rates of around 48%, so if one team has 70% of the players and the other 30%, the former has the normal mode wrapped up just on account of painting so much more unless the less popular team is impossibly blessed with 10x and 100x modifiers. For that matter, I don't understand how the Retro vs Modern percentages for normal mode were as close as they were, so maybe I'm missing something.

The calculations for Pro mode are more complicated, but as long as the 100x battles don't put a huuuuge thumb on the scale, it's just a matter of whether the less popular team loses 0-3 or 1-2.

Aside from those problems, I don't like the new system on principle. It's convoluted where Splatoon is simple elegance. On top of that players who never get into any x100 battles can feel like they had no impact on the outcome of the battle whereas the 4 vs 4 battles are build around every player mattering. I'm already looking forward to Splatoon 3's attempt to get the Splatfest rules right, because this ain't it again.

Welp, now I know the specific time after midnight by which my brain has stopped working. That's obviously the obvious thing I was obviously missing, thanks.

Then the only advantage I could see the more popular team have is that it's easier to match teams for synergy bonus if there are more players in the pool, but that advantage would show up in the percentages eventually. In the Retro vs Modern Splatfest the win rates were absolutely closs across both modes.

I suck at the game and I can't beat octo expansion and that makes me sad.
Don't feel too bad about it, I would say multiple parts of Octo expansion are among the hardest things first party Nintendo has ever put out. Personally, I wish Nintendo would make games of that difficultly more often, but I also could understand why they wouldn't make a campaign that really pushes the player often in the base game.

I've gotten so much better!

I was getting shredded at S+0 every time I've gotten there and now I'm doing the shredding! Not a single crack!

Yessssssss just got to S+1 finally!! I think I'll stop for now cuz I'm scared lol!

Been using this. Working super well.

machine translation said:
Details of a new special weapon "nice lumps" have been found. You'll accumulate power, make chunks of ink, throw them out, and make a big explosion. If you send a "nice" signal or send it to a friend, it will be quick and powerful. The fellow who sent the signal seems to increase the special gauge only a little in the reward.
Spirit ink bomb incoming?

Finally got good at Salmon Run. I was hanging out at Profreshional 200 for ages until I did my research and learned the ranking system. Got to 300 by applying the best strategies for dealing with bosses for each weapon. And it all just tanked today due to poor teammates. I know the dynamo roller is a bit tough to use, but it can be super useful. Hopefully I can get back up to 300 on another shift, cuz I dunno if I have the motivation to climb back up from 215 when it took an hour and a half just to get my two super bonuses. At bare minimum I expect my teammates to use "This Way". Lol

Pretty much! Official western post:

So... you booyah to enhance your booyah bomb, and teammates get special charge themselves by booyahing.
I seriously wonder if this could be used to troll hard with a Goku reveal for Smash.

That is such a spirit bomb.

Next Direct/Smash Direct: show the Booyah Bomb being charged. All of a sudden it's Goku/a Spirit Bomb.

You'll have an easier time getting out of S+0 if you switch weapons to fit the map/mode. Sticking with the aerospray is really gonna hold you back, it's easily one of the worst weapons in the game.

it's easily one of the worst weapons in the game.
What? Nah. I love it, it's my favorite so far. And I love the ball special. If you get in close then most weapons don't stand a chance.

I already got out! I got to S+1 last night after a solid session. Not a single crack, only 2 losses. I was doing really well. Huge improvement from the last times I was at S+0.

What do you recommend? I also like Blasters. I'm pretty decent at everything except for Chargers which I seriously suck at. I'm a great sniper in all other games I play but I just can't get it in Splatoon. I definitely bring the whole team down every time. Better suited being something more useful.

I mean, ultimately you gotta find what you're most comfortable using. The aerospray is weak because it's one of the shortest ranged weapons in the game with no way to get in. And once you get in, you have to land five shots - which all suffer from some pretty bad shot deviation. It's too bad too because the gold one has an amazing kit too.

If you like baller weapons, definitely give the Slosher Deco or the new Kensa splat dualies a try. They're both really solid weapons and don't have nearly as many weaknesses as the gold aerospray.

What? Nah. I love it, it's my favorite so far. And I love the ball special. If you get in close then most weapons don't stand a chance.

I already got out! I got to S+1 last night after a solid session. Not a single crack, only 2 losses. I was doing really well. Huge improvement from the last times I was at S+0.

What do you recommend? I also like Blasters. I'm pretty decent at everything except for Chargers which I seriously suck at. I'm a great sniper in all other games I play but I just can't get it in Splatoon. I definitely bring the whole team down every time. Better suited being something more useful.
The Aerospray kits are great for laying down ink and using specials. Sure, there are probably better options available, but you can definitely make them work (especially with gear). Depends on the objective and your playstyle. I used Aerospray mostly during Turf War and Splat Zones, where the objective plays to the strengths of the weapon. If the objective of the mode has you in more direct confrontation with others, though, you're gonna want something that can help you in a fight, which Forks seems to be focusing on. There are definitely better options than Aerospray for Rainmaker and Clam Blitz.

Finally a special weapon for me, now not booyahing back really will cost you the match. I've been telling people for years of booyah's sacred powers and finally it is truly manifesting itself in Inkopolis. But what happens if you mash This Way! instead? I think it should be an antihype thing and make the booyah bomb weaker

It looks like it works like an inkstrike but with high vulnerability for the user and requiring teamwork, I assume it must have a somewhat limited range so you can't jump back to spawn and toss it at the far end of the map

And October's map rotation, some good picks in there, I'm glad that Goby Zones seems to be in every other month. Sadly it looks like the hammer won't be coming until next month, they must really be spacing out these last updates.

Last edited:
Why are blasters still able to splat you from around corners and when you're behind things? This needs patched out. It's basically an exploit.
lmao

Alright, so it's like fighting a grappler in a fighting game. If they get in, they have command grabs. So the goal is to win neutral and get the offensive.

The goal against Blasters is to outpaint them and only take favorable conditions.

I only get kinda salty about rapid and clash, 'cause they throw away the high-skill reward of vanilla blaster in exchange for an easier time at everything.

lmao

Alright, so it's like fighting a grappler in a fighting game. If they get in, they have command grabs. So the goal is to win neutral and get the offensive.

The goal against Blasters is to outpaint them and only take favorable conditions.

I only get kinda salty about rapid and clash, 'cause they throw away the high-skill reward of vanilla blaster in exchange for an easier time at everything.
Well I wasn't doing a stand-up routine, but if I'm behind a bricked corner, I shouldn't be able to be splatted. I'll be better off fleeing the scene next time. Good advice though, so thanks.

I could accept that more if the material wasn't meant to be made of brick and could be broken, etc, but if this is their purpose then at least I now know.

6. Support your team mates. I think of it sometimes as babysitting. Sometimes your teammates are good, sometimes bad. If you stay close to them you can get easy kills from them OR have a chance to save their life which keeps your overall team numbers up and helps prevent team collapse.
Personally, I felt the other way around is better. Spreading out means more ink coverage.

I think it's kinda weird when a match starts and then everyone follows the exact same path. Then at the end of the round, the spawn point is half inked and nobody has a lot of points because there's not much to ink if you're following someone who's already inking lol.

To save my life I always have a special on hand (splashdown is my fav, the bubble shield is a close 2nd) and I get a lot of specials when I split up from my team and ink, so I don't have to worry much about encountering enemies without one on hand.

Maybe I'm wrong and sticking together is a better strategy, but from my observation I feel like I started being #1 on my team in points much more often when I started to purposely not follow anyone.

I could accept that more if the material wasn't meant to be made of brick and could be broken, etc, but if this is their purpose then at least I now know.
When I started playing Splatoon 2 blasters kinda infuriated me and I felt the same way. They also destroyed me. However there are so many weapons with different strengths and weaknesses eventually I just learned to identify which weapons I'm weak against (blasters, snipers, bloblobber) and always check tthe enemy team's weapons loadout during match start, then I focus on splatting those particular players like an assassin. It's part of the reason Baller eventually slipped into my special rotation more than tentamissiles, easy to push through most opposition with 2 mains of special up + artful baller movements.

Personally, I felt the other way around is better. Spreading out means more ink coverage.

I think it's kinda weird when a match starts and then everyone follows the exact same path. Then at the end of the round, the spawn point is half inked and nobody has a lot of points because there's not much to ink if you're following someone who's already inking lol.

To save my life I always have a special on hand (splashdown is my fav, the bubble shield is a close 2nd) and I get a lot of specials when I split up from my team and ink, so I don't have to worry much about encountering enemies without one on hand.

Maybe I'm wrong and sticking together is a better strategy, but from my observation I feel like I started being #1 on my team in points much more often when I started to purposely not follow anyone.
I don't disagree with you! Hehe. At the start of Turf War matches I prefer teams which instantly split apart in order to ink 80% of spawn while simultaneously moving quickly towards mid and regrouping to strike together with specials. It sucks to lose a match later because you eventually have to focus on painting a dry spawn area while the rest of your team loses a furious 3v4 fight BUT it also sucks when your team gets wiped and you dont have any easy/uncontested areas (like spawn) to paint and start refilling your special on the way back to mid. For ranked matches it is not usually so important to paint spawn unless you get pushed back as a team and they camp you.

My point about babysitting team mates depends on their skill level. Splatoon 2 matchmaking can be a little random, lots of times my teams are skilled and I have quite a few turf war videos on my Switch of me dancing/sharking alone at mid the last minute of the match while my team ruthlessly slaughters the enemy repeatedly in their spawn. However I made it a personal goal early on in this game to win 70+% of my turf war matches and sometimes your team mates suck and you have to carry them. In Halo I would just kill the crap out of everyone to mass numbers, however Splatoon 2 has the added element of painting for map control so I could not afford to let them die while I win personal glory. Now I always start matches by #1 scanning the enemy team's weapon loudouts, then #2 observing my teams first minute of play to check if they suck and I need to aggressively babysit. Basically some team members aren't useful for helping me splat the enemy but can paint well and... often serve as effective distractions/bait for the enemy before I ambush said enemy :)

Ranked can be a little less like that? Maybe? I usually focus extra hard on splatting and carrying in ranked because I hate getting cracks and try to win at all costs.

I was prepared to be extremely pissed after losing multiple Splat Zones and Rainmaker games in a row but somehow we pulled this overtime victory out of our asses.

And then a second victory right after to actually climb to S+1 in Rainmaker. Almost makes up for resetting AGAIN to S+0 in Splat Zones. Almost. Fucking Anchovy Games bullshit.