Star Trek Discovery |OT| To Boldly go into the new streaming era

Just because it came from the Starfleet charter doesn't mean they themselves are Starfleet. At least not what I consider obvious Starfleet.
The Starfleet charter is literally the document that defines what Starfleet is and what their scope is. By their own words in the 24th century they are an autonomous part of Starfleet.

They are not 'obvious Starfleet' because they are secretive. They are not 'obvious Starfleet' because they don't uphold the values of Starfleet we have come to know and love. They may not be Good Starfleet. Even if the operate under the letter of Section 31 of the charter, they can still be doing it wrong.

None of that means they aren't part of Starfleet.

Every bad captain that was the enemy of our good Captains was still a part of Starfleet.

Thanks for the link Himynameischris I assumed they were section 31 of the Federation constitution or something. I guess I forgot. In theory, as an entity under the Federation, they should be bound by it's laws. A lot of people say they want to see a Section 31 show. I think they want a spy show. A more interesting show is Section 31 fighting for it's survival as the Federation tries to hold them to it's evolved value system.

I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with them being actual Starfleet... a subsection that doesn't report to Starfleet and is completely autonomous is not what I consider Starfleet, no matter what the charter says, without accountability

The whole Tyler/Voq thing was some dumb shit.
They just need to gin up some excuse.

Like human scanners fucking sucked at scanning Klingons until this exact issue got them to sort it out and thats why by Kirk and the Tribbles stuff happened they just had to scan that one dude to find out he was a Klingon

I thought Discovery was a classified experimental ship what only a few Captains and brass knew about.

Section 31 could operate more openly since the crew would also be sworn to secrecy.
This. I think I said said something similar before. The ship itself has a lot of secret projects going on that not everyone would have access to or even know about. The Spore garden for example is locked to all but a few people. So you could easily have Section 31 basically walking around in plain sight and people have no idea what the black badges means. To them it's just another secret project that is taking place on the classified ship they're serving on. Or people could automatically assume they're apart of Starfleet Intelligence and you don't go around questioning intelligence officers if you aren't one. Add that your own captain is kinda shady already.

I still think hiding in plain sight is something Section 31 did. Use normal Starfleet's resources while doing your own thing on the side. Maybe the badges are there for captain's in the know to recognize them. Even if the truth about Lorca wasn't known he did enough stuff that would put him on their radar. Look at all the shit in his lair. I'm looking forward to that book coming out. There is a lot to mine there.

I don't think those were the three stories, however. The entire season was very tightly integrated. It was just done poorly in some regards. I spoke to a published author I know and he says the Klingons were slightly over developed, and over developing your antagonist is a very rooky mistake. But the entire season was one complete story arc with foils and mirroring.

• The prologue was Burnham trying to survive ("I'm trying to save you") at any cost. In other words, survive by methods that go against Federation ideals.
  • The spore drive was Lorca doing whatever it takes to survive, against Federation ideals.
  • The mirror universe was about the Empire doing whatever it takes to survive or Lorca doing whatever it takes to grab power, against Federation ideas. It was to show what the Federation could become if all it believes in is survival. It's about the darkness in all of us.
  • The Klingon War (post mirror universe) was about the entire Federation doing whatever it takes to survive against Federation ideals. (Doomsday device.)
The through line was the antagonists: the Klingons. They were doing whatever it takes to assure the survival of their race and their culture. That was the start an the end of the Season 1 story arc. It initiated itself by having Burnham agree with them, and ended when Burnham realized that it's more important to stick with Federation ideals, even if they make things more difficult.

I think it was poorly done at times, but the entire season is very tightly integrated along the story arc of sacrificing your ideals and values to ensure your survival at any cost. The Federation is about living for your values. Without that, the Federation doesn't deserve to live, and therefore violating those values is not allowed, even to ensure your own survival.

(You can replace 'Federation values' with 'Star Trek values.')
I completely agree with you, but what you call to be plotlines, I would call themes. For me, plotlines are what the character stories and the thematic elements relate to. They're the backbone that get you from Point A to Point Z. I know it comes off as pedantic, but I just wanted to show where I was coming from with my comments while also saying that I agree with what you're saying, just from a different angle.

I hope that makes sense.

I already pre-ordered from Best Buy, wonder if it'll get changed automatically or if I'll have to order again.

Amazon has the blu-ray for a few dollars cheaper if you don't care about the steelbook.

So...the new novels for Disco aren't canon right? Because I'm reading the first one and
Michael and Spock talk about their childhood and they are basically strangers, they didn't really grow up together at all
So I wonder if that's going to spill over into season 2 since we know Spock will be in it.

So...the new novels for Disco aren't canon right?
Right, Star Trek novels have never been canon.
However, the novels were written with foreknowledge and approved content. So, it's very possible that they are accurate enough that they will mesh with Season 2. It's also possible they changed it up. Since it's the same show runners that planned out Season 2 that Bryan Fuller brought on right at the start, I could see it easily going either way. Those novels would likely have been based on the show's bible and so details about past relationships were probably sketched out ahead of time to inform the writing of Season 1.

The whole Tyler/Voq thing was some dumb shit.
Everything related to a twist in this show is dumb shit.

When they gotta solve a problem it's "Let's use the power of science" with some explanation. When it's a twist is "Shocker!? Please don't look at the details of it".

The Mirror stuff...why did the mirror Discovery travel to the 'prime' (but not really) universe? That not how things work, people/ships aren't exchanged when intentionally traveling over. In TOS there was a transporter accident, but the other 7 or so times it happened it was just travelling over with no exchange. Knowledge of it meant to be banned too so Mirror Discovery shouldn't be trying travel over. Then is the eye thing which again, doesn't match up with rest of Mirror appearances, done purely for the twist.

USS Discovery was spore jumping, so ISS must have been spore jumping too. Spore Jumping seems like a good enough substitute for transporters and a decent enough explanation for why ISS and USS swapped.

The eyes thing really doesn't make sense.

I just had a thought the other day that it would have been better if USS Disco traveled to MU but MU Lorca switched with PU Lorca and came back with USS Disco, leaving PU Lorca behind and keeping MU Lorca in the PU, without telling us though so that they could have revealed it at a later time, would have been nice have Jason for longer than a season.

I don't recall anyone saying the Mirror Universe Discovery swapped places with it. I don't recall them saying they found Discovery in Federation space. Are we assuming it did a swap? Or do I not remember something?

Wasn’t it mentioned that debris was found which was why Starfleet thought the Discovery had been lost? I always took that to mean the mirror universe Discovery had been destroyed.

I don't recall anyone saying the Mirror Universe Discovery swapped places with it. I don't recall them saying they found Discovery in Federation space. Are we assuming it did a swap? Or do I not remember something?
Klingons blew ISS up apparently.

I don't think ISS was jumping as the tech being used very differently in MU and the MU guy who navigates it wasn't on ISS Discovery.

Klingons blew ISS up apparently.

I don't think ISS was jumping as the tech being used very differently in MU and the MU guy who navigates it wasn't on ISS Discovery.
Yeah. The research and tech that was used to make the Spore Drive was being used to create the power source for the ISS Charon in the Mirror Universe. The ISS Discovery itself wasn't a mirror of the USS Discovery technology wise.

The first Short Trek will premier next month with a new one each month!

* “Runaway” (Thursday, Oct. 4) — “Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.”

* “Calypso” (Thursday, Nov. 8) — “After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.”

* “The Brightest Star” (Thursday, Dec. 6) — “Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.”

* “The Escape Artist” (Thursday, Jan. 3) — “Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship — just in time to try out his latest con.”
https://tvline.com/2018/09/20/star-trek-discovery-short-treks-premiere-date-cast-cbs-all-access/

Last edited: