Star Trek Franchise |OT| To Boldly Go.....

I really hope they move the Shorts idea beyond Discovery. If we won't get full on new series then I want check ins with previous crews. Let's see Kira running DS9, Admiral Janeway leading the exploration of the Delta Quadrant, Archer having to navigate the political landscape as Federation President.

I really hope they move the Shorts idea beyond Discovery. If we won't get full on new series then I want check ins with previous crews. Let's see Kira running DS9, Admiral Janeway leading the exploration of the Delta Quadrant, Archer having to navigate the political landscape as Federation President.
This would be the absolute best. Well. Second best, anyway. The real best is full series based on all that.

I’m over the hump in Enterprise (early S3) and really enjoying it. Like Voyagers characters and Sisko, it just takes time to grow on you. I will say though, Extinction in S3 almost knocked me off the Enterprise train. That was seriously awful.

I think I enjoyed season 4 of Enterprise the most but I'm also watching the series at the moment and I seem to be enjoying it a lot less than I remember from previous viewings. Kind of just looking forward to it ending now so I can move onto the Discovery rewatch and then back to DS9.

Just finished the penultimate episode of enterprise. Seems a bit of a downer way to end the entire show.

Now - do I subject myself to the last episode?

Next will be DS9 or TOS. I’ve seen some of TOS over the years but probably missed some good ones

Impulse was a damn good episode and probably the scariest Star Trek has ever been. Aside from the weird episode were the slave girl tried seducing everyone to learn about their bodies, season three has been a blast. I’m mad that I finally got used to the theme and started enjoying it unironically and then they truly made it the ugliest thing by trying to make it a faster tempo.

Impulse was a damn good episode and probably the scariest Star Trek has ever been. Aside from the weird episode were the slave girl tried seducing everyone to learn about their bodies, season three has been a blast. I’m mad that I finally got used to the theme and started enjoying it unironically and then they truly made it the ugliest thing by trying to make it a faster tempo.
Happens to everyone.

Season 3 and 4 was where they utterly ruined the opening theme.
The version in Season 1 and 2 was great, but 3 and 4 was just utterly god awful.

The end theme of Enterprise is the best end theme of any Star Trek though.

Because of this thread I ended up looking on eBay at the Eaglemoss models, and ended up getting the NX-01 for a whopping £4.70.
It just arrived and I was surprised at how big it was, I was expecting about half the size. Sadly though, when I took it out of the packaging one of the nacelles immediately came off. It looks like a 'clip' going into a slot, though the clip seems way too short.
Fortunately I've got some Gorilla Glue so have put a teeny bit of that onto the end of the strut where the clip is, and am now leaving it to dry off.

Because of this thread I ended up looking on eBay at the Eaglemoss models, and ended up getting the NX-01 for a whopping £4.70.
It just arrived and I was surprised at how big it was, I was expecting about half the size. Sadly though, when I took it out of the packaging one of the nacelles immediately came off. It looks like a 'clip' going into a slot, though the clip seems way too short.
Fortunately I've got some Gorilla Glue so have put a teeny bit of that onto the end of the strut where the clip is, and am now leaving it to dry off.
I recommend doing what I did. Immediately getting hooked and spending way too much money on eBay buying more of them. I won an Excelsior auction yesterday. That makes 17 models now.

I recommend doing what I did. Immediately getting hooked and spending way too much money on eBay buying more of them. I won an Excelsior auction yesterday. That makes 17 models now.
I actually bid on quite a few but that was the only one I won. I was only bidding a max of £10 including postage, and postage was generally £3-4, so not at all surprised I didn't win more.
A little disappointed I didn't get the Excelsior, Voyager or Enterprise-E that I bid on though.

I also bid on an XL Enterprise Refit yesterday, but I only put in a max bid of £15 and got outbid already.

I actually bid on quite a few but that was the only one I won. I was only bidding a max of £10 including postage, and postage was generally £3-4, so not at all surprised I didn't win more.
A little disappointed I didn't get the Excelsior, Voyager or Enterprise-E that I bid on though.

I also bid on an XL Enterprise Refit yesterday, but I only put in a max bid of £15 and got outbid already.
The E and Voyager will always be more expensive. I got the Excelsior for under a tenner though so its possible.

If any go above £15 (not XL versions) then I recommend checking the Eaglemoss UK store first. A lot of people will list them for more than £15 even when they are still in stock brand new on the Eaglemoss store for £12.99 or £14.99.

The episode Similitude was great and ethically challenging. This wouldn’t really work that well outside of their situation in the Expanse and the Xindi. I felt so bad for Sim by the end of it, especially when T’Pol came to meet him before his surgery.

Stewart did have input on the stories for Insurrection and Nemesis so hopefully he has better ideas now.
Yep. If you read the original screenplays for First Contact it's darkly hilarious how every fortunate change in that movie was just undone and replicated in Insurrection (Picard must have a love interest! Joystick driving the Enterprise!)

I actually read the book by Michael Pillar, the writer of Insurrection, and it's hard to say why that movie was so bad. It seems like they didn't really have that good of an idea to start with and then it got tinkered with a million times. First he had a meeting with Rick Berman and wrote a treatment, then Berman looked over it and suggested changes, then they sent it to Stewart and Spiner who suggested changes, then they sent it to Paramount who suggested changes, etc. It feels like it got watered down by the end. The original concept was a "Heart of Darkness" type story of a trip down a river to meet an old friend of his from Starfleet Academy, but the de-aging powers and conflict with the Federation were still there.

One quote from the book is interesting about how much power the stars have over the scripts is when Rick Berman told Michael Pillar:

Picard’s an old man who doesn’t get to buckle his swash until the planet makes him young again. But he’s our hero. When the movie’s over and he’s back to normal again, he needs to be a vital man of action. Patrick will hate this. He’ll never do it... You’re telling our star he’s an old man!
https://nightly.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5159

That's the book, it's an interesting read, it feels more like a bunch of blog posts than an actual book. And half of the book is taken up by the film treatments and scripts in progress which you can just skip.

Last edited:
I'm just happy to be moving the timeline forward again. Its amazing that Picard is returning but I would have taken anyone if it meant we could have something other than prequels.
Cosigned. It's kind of amazing we've spent a decade in this weird time loop where no one was interested in doing anything but rehashing the past (and Discovery, whether or not you like it, absolutely deserves that criticism.)

I just finished the TOS for the first time. The last two episodes are a perfect summation of everything good and everything bad about the show (the last episode being the bad one). I'm starting the animated series for the first time now.

"Starship Mine" is the most enjoyable uber-problematic episode in all of TNG. Picard goes full Rambo, killing his enemies left and right. The command crew's captors inexplicably allow them to discuss plans for escape -- not even whispering! -- the entire time they're captured, and they even let Riker off the hook completely after he almost pulls it off. (But the villains on the Enterprise, who are affiliated with the oddly nice captors, are ruthless murderers?) And when Hutchinson dies from the same phaser blasting that only wounds Geordi, no one ever says a single thing to mourn him. Sure, he was kind of annoying, but what the fuck? And then at the end, after Picard has slaughtered the opposition like a Klingon despot, everybody laughs about his saddle and the episode ends.

And yet, like Voyager's cheesiest action episodes, I somehow still like this nonsense.

"Starship Mine" is the most enjoyable uber-problematic episode in all of TNG. Picard goes full Rambo, killing his enemies left and right. The command crew's captors inexplicably allow them to discuss plans for escape -- not even whispering! -- the entire time they're captured, and they even let Riker off the hook completely after he almost pulls it off. (But the villains on the Enterprise, who are affiliated with the oddly nice captors, are ruthless murderers?) And when Hutchinson dies from the same phaser blasting that only wounds Geordi, no one ever says a single thing to mourn him. Sure, he was kind of annoying, but what the fuck? And then at the end, after Picard has slaughtered the opposition like a Klingon despot, everybody laughs about his saddle and the episode ends.

And yet, like Voyager's cheesiest action episodes, I somehow still like this nonsense.
I just watched this one, and I chuckled about Picard as John McClane in Die Hard on the Starship Enterprise.

Finally reached the fabled S3 finale/S4 premiere in my first time through TNG. Exciting stuff, that cliffhanger must've been agonising at the original airing.

I think I actually like the episode that follows even more, though. I was really hoping they'd actually explore a bit of what Picard was going through, and while they don't deal with it too deeply or for two long, it was satisfying to see.

I'm just happy to be moving the timeline forward again. Its amazing that Picard is returning but I would have taken anyone if it meant we could have something other than prequels.
Cosigned. It's kind of amazing we've spent a decade in this weird time loop where no one was interested in doing anything but rehashing the past (and Discovery, whether or not you like it, absolutely deserves that criticism.)
But, this is literally rehashing the past. It's the same characters with a new coat of paint. Reboot? Fine. Prequal? Fine. Sequel? Fine. Having a totally new show? Fine with me. But why people who think reboots and prequels are retreads don't think the same thing of a direct sequel is weird. I get it's not what you want. But this is not looking forward anymore than Discovery was.

I enjoyed Discovery. Though I hope they make some changes in season 2. They said it will be more Trek-like. So that's good. I'm waiting for the follow through.

But, this is literally rehashing the past. It's the same characters with a new coat of paint. Reboot? Fine. Prequal? Fine. Sequel? Fine. Having a totally new show? Fine with me. But why people who think reboots and prequels are retreads don't think the same thing of a direct sequel is weird. I get it's not what you want. But this is not looking forward anymore than Discovery was.

I enjoyed Discovery. Though I hope they make some changes in season 2. They said it will be more Trek-like. So that's good. I'm waiting for the follow through.
How on earth you think "new stories with established characters and moving forward in time to see the effects of changes" is "rehashing the past" is beyond me.

How on earth you think "new stories with established characters and moving forward in time to see the effects of changes" is "rehashing the past" is beyond me.
Because... it's the same characters in the same time period. Kelvin timeline was the same characters resetting the same time period. Discovery is new characters and new story in the same time period.

Just in case you misunderstand me, I'm happy to watch Untitled Picard Project as much as Discovery Season 2.

I'm saying it's inconsistent to say 'finally we are getting something new' when it's literally the same character as before separated by a decade or two. When Discovery is new characters separated by a decade or two. Discovery really managed to figure out a new story. A lot of people learned about pre-TOS lore that was there, but so many didn't know about. That's kind of a success in my books.

Anyway, TNG-era Trek is our past. It's not something new. It's just a sequel. It's TNG season 8. Which is great. It will probably be better than TNG season 7.

I'm saying a spinoff show with all new characters and an all new setting and an all new story set in the future... is not what the Untitled Picard Project is. I think that's okay. But I think it's really weird that those clamour for something new accept this. I think it's many of those saying 'whats with all the TOS fanboys constantly going back to that era' were TNG fanboys who want to go back to that era.

Few people wanted to jump 80 years in the future and see something truly new. And that's okay with me. But then when Star Trek (2009) was announced, I was okay with that, too. (Underwhelmed, but I like it.)

Because... it's the same characters in the same time period. Kelvin timeline was the same characters resetting the same time period. Discovery is new characters and new story in the same time period.

Just in case you misunderstand me, I'm happy to watch Untitled Picard Project as much as Discovery Season 2.

I'm saying it's inconsistent to say 'finally we are getting something new' when it's literally the same character as before separated by a decade or two. When Discovery is new characters separated by a decade or two. Discovery really managed to figure out a new story. A lot of people learned about pre-TOS lore that was there, but so many didn't know about. That's kind of a success in my books.
The Kelvin timeline wasn't just the same characters in the same time period, it was rehashing similar plots and doing them badly. Meanwhile Discovery dug up Mudd, fought Klingons for three episodes, and went to the Mirror Universe because Mirror Universe! and Bisexuals!
Anyway, TNG-era Trek is our past. It's not something new. It's just a sequel. It's TNG season 8. Which is great. It will probably be better than TNG season 7.
Citation needed.

Few people wanted to jump 80 years in the future and see something truly new. And that's okay with me. But then when Star Trek (2009) was announced, I was okay with that, too. (Underwhelmed, but I like it.)
Lots of people wanted to jump forward in the Prime Universe. I feel like on /r/StarTrek there was a constant clamoring for some Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda thing or something like Bryan Fuller's idea of the ashes of the Federation, yadda yadda. At this point I think it's moot, since it's been nearly twenty years since we've seen anything of the prime universe anyhow. That's plenty of time to rearrange the status quo of the universe and introduce new characters.

I simply cannot fathom how you view the chronological passage of time as somehow "rehashing" things. It's like saying that sequels to book series are "rehashing the past" rather than continuing a story and universe that can continue in perpetuity.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler

I LOVE this episode, mostly because Tuvok (worst Vulcan) gets out-vulcaned by a human doing the neck pinch on him. It’s cathartic. Yes I know Tim Russ was playing some nameless schlub and not Tuvok. Still.

I LOVE this episode, mostly because Tuvok (worst Vulcan) gets out-vulcaned by a human doing the neck pinch on him. It’s cathartic. Yes I know Tim Russ was playing some nameless schlub and not Tuvok. Still.
Haha, yes. I paused the episode to explain to my roommates why exactly I was laughing so hard.