Star Trek Franchise |OT| To Boldly Go.....

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
I dunno, I always quite liked Tuvok compared to most other Vulcans.
But you must adopt all of my opinions, because I stated them once on a message board.

The only thing I liked about Tuvok was that he was Security and not Science, theoretically showing that Vulcans have variety in personality. But he was too dang emotional nonetheless.

But you must adopt all of my opinions, because I stated them once on a message board.

The only thing I liked about Tuvok was that he was Security and not Science, theoretically showing that Vulcans have variety in personality. But he was too dang emotional nonetheless.
I really liked his friendship with Janeway. It was quite understated at times, like when she read a letter he had sent which came across as typically bland but you could tell there were undertones.

"Starship Mine" is the most enjoyable uber-problematic episode in all of TNG. Picard goes full Rambo, killing his enemies left and right. The command crew's captors inexplicably allow them to discuss plans for escape -- not even whispering! -- the entire time they're captured, and they even let Riker off the hook completely after he almost pulls it off. (But the villains on the Enterprise, who are affiliated with the oddly nice captors, are ruthless murderers?) And when Hutchinson dies from the same phaser blasting that only wounds Geordi, no one ever says a single thing to mourn him. Sure, he was kind of annoying, but what the fuck? And then at the end, after Picard has slaughtered the opposition like a Klingon despot, everybody laughs about his saddle and the episode ends.

And yet, like Voyager's cheesiest action episodes, I somehow still like this nonsense.
The letting them discuss plans always seemed a little weird, but my interpretation was that the actual hardcore guys were the people on the ship and these were just station personnel they paid off, not professionals. After all if Picard hadn't left his saddle they would have gotten away with it scot-free. They still do kill Hutch, which seems bizarre and unnecessary, but maybe they're really had enough of his small talk.

It's a good episode, but those things do stop it from being great.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that Sirtis hasn't been asked to the new show (well, that many apparently haven't). She'd obviously love to be involved, and her character is one of those I could still see directly working with Picard in whatever capacity he happens to be now, and I like her work on the show whenever they moved her character into more substantive things aside from "He's lying, Captain". At this point, I also doubt her and Riker would still be on the Titan anyway, so that's hardly something to worry about. Hell, Riker may even be an admiral by now and have an office right down the hall.

The letting them discuss plans always seemed a little weird, but my interpretation was that the actual hardcore guys were the people on the ship and these were just station personnel they paid off, not professionals. After all if Picard hadn't left his saddle they would have gotten away with it scot-free. They still do kill Hutch, which seems bizarre and unnecessary, but maybe they're really had enough of his small talk.

It's a good episode, but those things do stop it from being great.
That's a decent interpretation. For the sake of my sanity I will now subscribe to it. lol

I think it's a funny, tense episode overall. It's great to see the crew unwind early on, and the directing is wonderful in that first sequence as the camera follows Picard and everybody snags him to tell him stuff. It really highlights the rigors of captaincy.

I expect we will see at least Riker in this new show, simply because he'll most likely end up directing some of the episodes and it would be too easy a cameo not to take advantage of.

Maybe we'll get Barclay as a recurring character as Picard's assistant. Constantly annoying him :p

I did like the little bits of information they dropped into the Barclay Voyager episodes about the TNG crew. Like Barclay meeting up with them for Geordie's birthday and chatting with him about the Pathfinder project.

I simply cannot fathom how you view the chronological passage of time as somehow "rehashing" things.
You are missing my point. It was an analogy. Untitled Picard Project is a nostalgia trip. It's neither completely new or a rehash. In a different way, Discovery was neither completely new or a nostalgia trip. I was pointing out how odd it was to see people say one was 'same old' and the other was new, when both are new and old in similar ways.

Whereas TNG was not based on the characters, setting or themes of the original series. DS9 was not based on the characters, setting or themes of TNG. And Voyager was... well, it was all over, sort of.

It's like saying that sequels to book series are "rehashing the past" rather than continuing a story and universe that can continue in perpetuity.
My only point was that a new story with a new setting and new characters is more different than a similar setting with the same characters (continuation), which is different than the same characters in the same setting (reboot). These are different things, and I find some people saying that 'continuing the story in year XXXX is stupid fanboys but continuing the story in year YYYY is not.' Especially when continuing the story in year ZZZZ would be a truly new setting.

But I get it: you don't understand the analogy. That's fine.

You are missing my point. It was an analogy. Untitled Picard Project is a nostalgia trip. It's neither completely new or a rehash. In a different way, Discovery was neither completely new or a nostalgia trip. I was pointing out how odd it was to see people say one was 'same old' and the other was new, when both are new and old in similar ways.

Whereas TNG was not based on the characters, setting or themes of the original series. DS9 was not based on the characters, setting or themes of TNG. And Voyager was... well, it was all over, sort of.

My only point was that a new story with a new setting and new characters is more different than a similar setting with the same characters (continuation), which is different than the same characters in the same setting (reboot). These are different things, and I find some people saying that 'continuing the story in year XXXX is stupid fanboys but continuing the story in year YYYY is not.' Especially when continuing the story in year ZZZZ would be a truly new setting.

But I get it: you don't understand the analogy. That's fine.
Show we know nothing about save featuring Picard: "It's a nostalgia trip!"

Show that retcons its main character into being the step-sibling of Spock, ends S1 with the Enterprise showing up, and will spend S2 with Pike, Spock, and said Enterprise: "It's not a nostalgia trip!"

Most people mean that they want to further the timeline and this is doing that 20+ years, that's what they've been wanting. Has nothing to do with recurring characters or it being a 'sequel' which doesn't sound like this will be anyways.

Edit: ^^ I don't get why they announce that stuff before finishing, they should know CBS is coming for them. Finish it and then reveal it, once it's out there what's CBS going to do?

Most people mean that they want to further the timeline and this is doing that 20+ years, that's what they've been wanting. Has nothing to do with recurring characters or it being a 'sequel' which doesn't sound like this will be anyways.

Edit: ^^ I don't get why they announce that stuff before finishing, they should know CBS is coming for them. Finish it and then reveal it, once it's out there what's CBS going to do?
Yeah that's a more prudent take but if you want to attract people to contribute you kind of have to show your cards earlier.

I'm also looking forward to hopefully seeing some more familiar alien species again. I wanna know what happened to the Cardassians after the Dominion War ended or the Ferengi after Rom took over. Maybe have some Delta Quadrant aliens who have started to expand into the Alpha Quadrant.

I'm also looking forward to hopefully seeing some more familiar alien species again. I wanna know what happened to the Cardassians after the Dominion War ended or the Ferengi after Rom took over. Maybe have some Delta Quadrant aliens who have started to expand into the Alpha Quadrant.
I could imagine contact between the Federation and Hirogen has taken place given that their relay network stretched so close to Federation space.
Star Trek Online actually had a faction of Romulans make contact with them not long after Voyagers return.

Reading Desperate Measures and it's funny how they throw familiar aliens at random spots, one of the characters is from Betazoid, and there is a Denobulan Dr as well, I wish they'd include more aliens, most of the characters are all human.

I was going to go see Star Trek 2 and then William Shatner speak tonight at my local theater tonight but it was recently cancelled because of "scheduling conflicts" It didn't sell enough tickets

So I finally finished DS9 (I watched most of it a few years back, but this year I started over), loved it, but man there is so much I want answered.
Now that we know they are finally willing to move forward in the time line I hope we finally learn what's going on now with the Klingons, Ferengi, Cardassians and Changelings post Dominion War.
Hopefully we we also start to learn about where various main characters from the various series are now, especially Sisko, has that dude come back yet? Now I don't expect all of this stuff in the new Picard show, more just me hoping to learn more about this kind of stuff in general in any series that takes place after the TNG movies and Voyager.
Also I've heard there's creative differences between movie and TV Trek, so it'll be interesting to see if they ignore the events that created the Kelvin time line or not. I'd love to hear what people more knowledgeable than me on this subject have to say on this.

Now that we know they are finally willing to move forward in the time line I hope we finally learn what's going on now with the Klingons, Ferengi, Cardassians and Changelings post Dominion War.
We might get something for the alpha quadrant species should they appear but nothing for the gamma quadrant, it's a Picard show not "continue DS9 plot threads".

Hopefully we we also start to learn about where various main characters from the various series are now, especially Sisko, has that dude come back yet? Now I don't expect all of this stuff in the new Picard show, more just me hoping to learn more about this kind of stuff in general in any series that takes place after the TNG movies and Voyager.
We most likely won't, any new show has to be its own thing and tell its own story. What you want is mostly fanwank, they'll do some fanwanking of course like cameos but don't expect a lot for unpopular shows like DS9, they're more likely to concentrate on TNG (for obvious reasons) and maybe Voyager (the most popular on Netflix) but even then there won't be updates on everyone and everything.

Also I've heard there's creative differences between movie and TV Trek, so it'll be interesting to see if they ignore the events that created the Kelvin time line or not. I'd love to hear what people more knowledgeable than me on this subject have to say on this.
No idea if they will but they can and should. The entire backstory of Romulus destruction by a supernova that threatened the galaxy was nonsense, there'd be no benefit in keeping that detail.

Tomorrow morning we are finishing up DS9. Never watched it before, but I fell so deeply in love with the show and the characters, more so than TNG. It’s honestly become one of my favorite series of all time. They’re so rich and developed, and the show straddles the optimism of 90s television with a slight dark edge perfectly without going ‘kill everyone!’, which modern tv seems to do. I’m going to miss this tv family :(

Edit: ha i didn’t see the post two above mine!

We might get something for the alpha quadrant species should they appear but nothing for the gamma quadrant, it's a Picard show not "continue DS9 plot threads".

We most likely won't, any new show has to be its own thing and tell its own story. What you want is mostly fanwank, they'll do some fanwanking of course like cameos but don't expect a lot for unpopular shows like DS9, they're more likely to concentrate on TNG (for obvious reasons) and maybe Voyager (the most popular on Netflix) but even then there won't be updates on everyone and everything.

No idea if they will but they can and should. The entire backstory of Romulus destruction by a supernova that threatened the galaxy was nonsense, there'd be no benefit in keeping that detail.
They don't have to explain any more about it, but since STVI we'd already had FTL "subspace shock waves" from the destruction of Praxis, so throw in some red matter nonsense and it's as reasonable as pretty much anything else. Either way it's a plot device to an end.

I'd imagine they'll reference it, a Romulan colony breaking away from the remnants of the empire might even be the plot of an episode and would be an interesting one I think.

It's almost like you didn't even read my post, I said I'm not expecting all this stuff in the Picard show, just hoping to find things out in general now that we are moving forward. If any plot lines deal with any of those races in any show that takes place after the TNG movies and Voyager we're bound to learn things.

It's almost like you didn't even read my post, I said I'm not expecting all this stuff in the Picard show, just hoping to find things out in general now that we are moving forward. If any plot lines deal with any of those races in any show that takes place after the TNG movies and Voyager we're bound to learn things.
I did read your post, that's why I talked about "any new show" after mentioning the picard show ones.

DS9 is not an important show in the big picture, there's very little reason to ever mention it again unless they somehow find themselves in that corner of the alpha quadrant. If the ferengi show up again don't expect to hear about nagus rom or hear a lecture about ferengi women's rights.

I did read your post, that's why I talked about "any new show" after mentioning the picard show ones.

DS9 is not an important show in the big picture, there's very little reason to ever mention it again unless they somehow find themselves in that corner of the alpha quadrant. If the ferengi show up again don't expect to hear about nagus rom or hear a lecture about ferengi women's rights.
DS9 not an important show in the big picture?
It had the Dominon War which changed the entire quadrant of space in which Star Trek takes place.

DS9 not an important show in the big picture?
It had the Dominon War which changed the entire quadrant of space in which Star Trek takes place.
No, it's not. As good as it was, it was always the kind of neglected stepchild of the franchise.
And the dominion war didn't change much except wiping out the maquis, everything we saw of the alpha quadrant after the war wasn't much different from before.

Yeah it's uh, apparently one of the terms of the peace treaty that everybody's borders and such return to what they were before the war. Sure, the Dominion was defeated, but it was never obligated to reform like Cardassia was. Hence that wound up being one of the things STO decided to confront in its need to over-obsess over all Trek minutiae. The more immediate thing in terms of actually changing setting status quo is the destruction of the Romulan homeworld, and that's a 'if writers want to take it that way' deal.

Both the Klingon and Romulan fleets were decimated after the Dominion war (even moreso than the Federation), and it was predicted it would take decades for them to fully recover with only the Federation being a real power in the Quadrant in the meantime. By the time of this new series they may only be just starting to approach a level similar to what they had prior to the outbreak of the war.