Star Wars |OT| New Canon, New Forum [NO IX SPOILERS]

Their biggest mistake was going to May from December.

I just wonder why people are forgiving of 3 MCU films a year, but not more than one Star Wars. I realize that the MCU built up to it over the phases, by teasing people to come along for a bigger ride. No reason why SW couldn't do it too.

Their biggest mistake was going to May from December.

I just wonder why people are forgiving of 3 MCU films a year, but not more than one Star Wars. I realize that the MCU built up to it over the phases, by teasing people to come along for a bigger ride. No reason why SW couldn't do it too.
The thing with MCU is that there are different superheroes that are distinct from one another, feeling like different IPs even(for example Spider Man feels different from Captain America and such), so even though they take place in the same universe their own movies can stand on their own(at least most can) and have an ever changing timeline. Star Wars meanwhile is all huge one timeline, basically just one IP, so since the stories are all connected it can feel a bit much for some. Unless Star Wars goes the MCU route it can start to feel similar for many.

So it was Bob Iger who decided to put Solo in May, BAD BOB. BAD

It sucks that that one bad decision might make it so I have to wait 2 years to see one Star Wars film. I was loving getting one per year.

The thing with MCU is that there are different superheroes that are distinct from one another, feeling like different IPs even(for example Spider Man feels different from Captain America and such), so even though they take place in the same universe their own movies can stand on their own(at least most can) and have an ever changing timeline. Star Wars meanwhile is all huge one timeline, basically just one IP, so since the stories are all connected it can feel a bit much for some. Unless Star Wars goes the MCU route it can start to feel similar for many.
Since 9 is the last of the Skywalkers, mebbe they do go this route. I'd be OK with two a year as long as they were tonally different.

So it was Bob Iger who decided to put Solo in May, BAD BOB. BAD

It sucks that that one bad decision might make it so I have to wait 2 years to see one Star Wars film. I was loving getting one per year.
I've said from the beginning..

There's no real reason to switch from Dec to May. I'm still waiting on the logic that May is a better overall date for SW, even considering other films' release schedules.

I can bet you that the losses taken from Solo are much worse for profits than competing with Marry Poppins.

I've said from the beginning..

There's no real reason to switch from Dec to May. I'm still waiting on the logic that May is a better overall date for SW, even considering other films' release schedules.

I can bet you that the losses taken from Solo are much worse for profits than competing with Marry Poppins.
The only reason to put it in May is because it used to be in May but, like, who cares at this point. Star Wars has cemented itself as a December franchise, you conditioned everyone for that and then you switch it up on them and with only 2 months of marketing.

I dunno what Bob was smokin'.

The only reason to put it in May is because it used to be in May but, like, who cares at this point. Star Wars has cemented itself as a December franchise, you conditioned everyone for that and then you switch it up on them and with only 2 months of marketing.

I dunno what Bob was smokin'.

2B, 1B, 1.3B, all in December

I know,

Let's move it to May instead

Man, what if it’s not just Marvel doing limited series centered around certain characters? Obi-Wan being a 6-8 part limited could be awesome. And they could do a direct Solo continuation in that format too.

Yeah, that could be it too. It makes me wonder what we will get there besides a possible trailer for Episode 9.
My guess:

* Episode IX panel
* Twentieth anniversary of Episode I panel.
* Panel for Jon Favreau's TV series with first trailer
* An animation panel with looks at season 2 of Resistance and an in depth look at the Clone Wars revival.

I would not be surprised if they don't officially announced any new movies at Celebration. They might want to keep the focus on Episode IX and the TV series for the time being, especially since it appears they're reevaluating their release strategy.

AOTC has a lot of really good stuff, or at least things that would be great if they were done a bit better.
The Coruscant chase, Obi-Wan's investigation, Obi-Jango fight and chase, a lot of the Geonosis and clone stuff... Pity Lucas cut some politics stuff, would've added depth to the Confederacy. Also the vistas in the film are pretty great, Lucas has good eye for nice and interesting looking worlds.
The bad stuff: Anakin-Padme romance, CGI that hasn't aged well, naturally some other stilted lines and dialogue, poor lightsaber fight (really, what was Lucas thinking with those weird scenes where the actors stand in the dark and twirl their sabers?).

The film suffers from trying to be a bit too much at once perhaps. The investigation aspect combined with politics sorta spy thriller, the clones and the Geonosis part are like a war film, and then there's Anakin's and Padme's story that should be some kind tragic romance film with adventure.

Ultimately i feel it has more better than bad.

really, what was Lucas thinking with those weird scenes where the actors stand in the dark and twirl their sabers?
I think that might have been on account of Christopher Lee's age. RotS got around that by digitally putting his head on a stuntman IIRC, but the tech wasn't there yet in AotC.

I think that might have been on account of Christopher Lee's age. RotS got around that by digitally putting his head on a stuntman IIRC, but the tech wasn't there yet in AotC.
Ah, i see. Still doesn't excuse Lucas really weird looking cinematographic choices. Slow flynning, no acrobatics, sure, no problem. How it is shown, that's not good. It doesn't help the hangar was really boring place for a duel.

The thing that stands out to me in AOTC that drives me crazy is how mobile CGI Threepio is. Him grabbing the floating platform and everything lol.
That irked me even when I was a kid, lol. I thought "when was 3-PO that mobile and flexible in movement?"

It seems even Anthony Daniels didn't like that CG recreation and talked about it in an interview a couple years ago.

Little update from the emperor himself on future Star Wars Movies https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

Star Wars movie pitches:
Obi-Wan drug trip movie where he drops acid on Tatooine and helps some Jawas retrieve their grandma's speeder
A Western-style movie about a former Stormtrooper-turned-deliverywoman who gets reluctantly caught up in a conflict between a mining town & a crime boss
A prequel-era heist movie with a Tommy Wiseau cameo

I knew it would be IS! :p

My pitch for a Star Wars movie kinda sound sounds like something Rian could do and that’s just to have it take place in a completely different time period in the galaxy. And have the paradigm shifted. Perhaps the Jedi are hermits somewhere chilling secretly a la the Legacy comics. Just shake shit up and make a different kind of Galaxy for star war.

I also wouldn’t mind a LOTResque type of star war in the sense of it taking place as a grand quest and filmed mostly outside and have it be naturalistic as fuck.