Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition |OT2| Street Fighter Has Come Home

I wish Menat clicked for me. I want to learn her — if only to justify the costumes I bought for her like the sucker I am — but every time I fight with her I have no idea what to do.

Just grind it out. It takes hundreds of matches. I almost lost 100 matches in a row learning Gief. And I'm still not out of woods yet with 500 matches under my belt but, it's getting there. This whole experience has been worth it to learn how to look at the game from a new angle.

Chronospherics

Games User Researcher at Player Research
Verified
Man this dojo nonsense has turned into a shitshow. My hometown FGC has been split into two dojos, and they're arguing. lol

Is there a Resetera Dojo I can join?

You could do what Justin Wong does and play the spacing game with her excellent normals.
I've been meaning to check some (pro) matches out. At the very least it should give me an idea of what my options are.

And of course...
Just grind it out. It takes hundreds of matches. I almost lost 100 matches in a row learning Gief. And I'm still not out of woods yet with 500 matches under my belt but, it's getting there. This whole experience has been worth it to learn how to look at the game from a new angle.
...this is also very true. The perfectionist in me wants to do everything right from the get-go, but that mindset won't get me anywhere in games like these.

Chronospherics

Verified
Man, I just have to say...Zangief in SFV is such a fucking well designed character. I know he doesn't fit the meta but flex/parry is legit a fun fucking mechanic.
I disagree personally. Because I don't have any fun fighting him.

Win or lose, it's absolutely no fun.

It's like Mei in overwatch, fun to play, but no fun to fight against. That makes her really polarising.

I think for me, it's because a lot of the Gief gameplay is a) keepaway and b) guesswork.

I keep Gief away with whirlwinds and long-ranged normals. Gief is required to guess, to get in. He needs to jump at the right time, or flex/parry at the right time, and it's not reactive. It's a guess. If he gets in, then it's more guessing for me and Gief.

I'm just really not fond of that gameplay.

I love the Gief matchup because it’s so easy for Cammy and Necalli <3

I was going to say that S4 should give Gief Green Hand but I don’t know if that’s make this version overpowered or not.

I disagree personally. Because I don't have any fun fighting him.

Win or lose, it's absolutely no fun.

It's like Mei in overwatch, fun to play, but no fun to fight against. That makes her really polarising.

I think for me, it's because a lot of the Gief gameplay is a) keepaway and b) guesswork.

I keep Gief away with whirlwinds and long-ranged normals. Gief is required to guess, to get in. He needs to jump at the right time, or flex/parry at the right time, and it's not reactive. It's a guess. If he gets in, then it's more guessing for me and Gief.

I'm just really not fond of that gameplay.
I main a character who loses to Gief no matter how good or bad they are in the meta. Gief just kills Laura.

That said, Gief is one of my favorite matchups, and probably the best in the game for forcing me to focus on fundamentals. And once I'm locked in, the opponent has to be too because if he jumps he dies and if he dashes in he dies. So it becomes a straight up footsie battle. Whiff punishing Gief's stHP is like my favorite thing to do in the whole entire game.

Chronospherics

Verified
I main a character who loses to Gief no matter how good or bad they are in the meta. Gief just kills Laura.

That said, Gief is one of my favorite matchups, and probably the best in the game for forcing me to focus on fundamentals. And once I'm locked in, the opponent has to be too because if he jumps he dies and if he dashes in he dies. So it becomes a straight up footsie battle. Whiff punishing Gief's stHP is like my favorite thing to do in the whole entire game.
I main Rashid, for context.

It's just throwing whirlwind shots and waiting for Gief to jump. That's the matchup.

It's a real bad time for both parties.

Sometimes I'll run in and throw them just to spice things up.

It's sad because Gief in 4 not only struck the fear of God into his opponents but you could also use a slow ,methodical, footsie based solid game plan which you can't really do with this version of gief.

Yeah, he needs something off a whiff punish button. Shit is super annoying knowing a button I punish with st mp with Gief could get me more damage, corner carry, AND oki with Cammy's st hp > drill.

Anyone have any experience with Zeku? I've been trying to find a secondary character forever and I really wanna give Zeku a try....should I just try to focus on learning one form at a time? And is his VT1 seen as his clear cut best trigger?

Noob question here. XD

In 3D fighters (VF, SC, DoA) the numbers usually mean the direction, like 44KK means back back kick kick, but in 2D fighters or 3D like Tekken which use 6 buttons layout, it's different right?

Like, does 123 mean light punch, medium punch and heavy punch?

Much obliged.
Noob question here. XD

In 3D fighters (VF, SC, DoA) the numbers usually mean the direction, like 44KK means back back kick kick, but in 2D fighters or 3D like Tekken which use 6 buttons layout, it's different right?

Like, does 123 mean light punch, medium punch and heavy punch?
It's still keyboard notation in 2D fighters, so still directions. Seems more common for anime fighters specifically, though.

It seems like the introduction of Dan's sister gives Dan a better shot of making the roster than he had previously. What do you guys think his chances are at this point? I feel like he is the perfect between seasons character. I think his chances drop back to where they were prior (somewhat unlikely tier) if we don't get him before Season 4 is announced.

On that note, ranking them in order of most likely to least likely of making the Season 4 roster, where do you think the following characters sit...

C.Viper, Makoto, Sodom, Oro, Rose, Elena, Rolento, E.Honda, Dan, Necro, Guy, Q

Those are names that have been thrown around here and there. I also threw in Guy because I think Cody's inclusion does help him (even if Zeku's hurts him so very, very bad). If you think there is a character with a better than average chance of making the roster feel free to include them in the list as well. I am just jazzed about season 4 and have no other outlet for releasing some of that energy. I appreciate anyone that humors me here.

Last edited:
On that note, ranking them in order of most likely to least likely of making the Season 4 roster, where do you think the following characters sit...

C. Viper, Makoto, Sodom, Oro, Elena, E. Honda, and Dan all have a good chance of being included in season 4, but one of the women and two of the men from the list won't make it.

I don't think we'll ever get Rose, Rolento, Necro, Guy, or Q.

C. Viper, Makoto, Sodom, Oro, Elena, E. Honda, and Dan all have a good chance of being included in season 4, but one of the women and two of the men from the list won't make it.

I don't think we'll ever get Rose, Rolento, Necro, Guy, or Q.
The only reason I included Rose, Rolento and Elena is because they were featured in the tarot cards art. Necro also seems unlikely, but he has been included in so many (questionable) rumors that I feel like he had to be part of the discussion.

My current season 4 predictions are looking something like this:
  • Fei Long or E. Honda
  • Dan/Sodom/Oro (2 of these)
  • C. Viper
  • Elena or Makoto
  • Neo Shadaloo newcomer

My predictions based on Kira's latest client-side costume findings (which are pretty much always accurate):

October-November
  • Mech F.A.N.G & Juri ($$$)
  • Fuse Man Urien & Tundra Man Kolin (Extra Battle) [Mega Man 11 promotional event like the Monster Hunter: World one]
  • Cannon Spike Nash (Fighting Chance)

November-December
Not a fan of more Mech costumes. And I don't get how they'd do classic M.Bison in fighting chance without making him skinnier, makes me think that something with that effort put into it will probably cost real money.

Last edited:
And I don't get how they'd do classic M.Bison in fighting chance without making skinnier, makes me think that something with that effort put into it will probably cost real money.
So far every "Classic" costume (Sagat and Vega) has been a Fighting Chance unlockable. Bison's getting a separate "Nostalgia" costume in 2019 that will cost real money.

It seems like the introduction of Dan's sister gives Dan a better shot of making the roster than he had previously. What do you guys think his chances are at this point? I feel like he is the perfect between seasons character. I think his chances drop back to where they were prior (somewhat unlikely tier) if we don't get him before Season 4 is announced.

I think the most unlikely thing is the existence of an off season character. As for likely candidates for an actual season (4, 5 or 6th), I would remove Guy and Q (both are unnecessary at that point) and add Fei Long and Hakan. I could also see another FF character, either Poison / Roxy / Maki, or some curveball like El Gado instead of Rolento.

For the sake of variety, I'd want Fei-Long and Dee-Jay. Fei because we need a rekka character, Dee-Jay because he's one of my favorites and I want him back.

Not a fan of more Mech costumes. And I don't get how they'd do classic M.Bison in fighting chance without making him skinnier, makes me think that something with that effort put into it will probably cost real money.
Makes sense to me. Fighting Chance costumes are very low-effort costumes where they take a costume that already exists and add minor alterations. So for M. Bison I guess he'd get black hair and his jacket would be shorter/tucked in.