The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v2

Anyone ever use DBAN? Trying to securely wipe old HDDs and DBAN basically gives me errors each time, the main one being that it thinks I might need a driver. Looking online, these errors seem associated with SD card readers or RAID setups, of which I have neither. Totally stumped about an hour into digging around. I'm wondering if it's weird compatibility issues with X399 boards or something.

Why are you using Windows 7 on a new build?
There's no reason to use W7 today. I'm sure you could find an installer and key somewhere but why go through the hassle? Do you want to start paying for security updates? W10 at this point is better than W7 anyway.
I'm not CPU expert I have just heard many terrible things about Win10. From security to privacy concerns and the inability to uninstall/remove certain malware/bloatware. Regardless, how do people install OSes these days without a CD/DVD reader? Can you buy an installer on your old PC and put it on a USB or something?

I'm not CPU expert I have just heard many terrible things about Win10. From security to privacy concerns and the inability to uninstall/remove certain malware/bloatware. Regardless, how do people install OSes these days without a CD/DVD reader? Can you buy an installer on your old PC and put it on a USB or something?
I won't recommend Windows 7 to anybody. It only has 16 more months of support from Microsoft. At that point the OS is wide open. I love Windows 7 myself, but I won't recommend an operating system with a 16 month shelf life.

You can download the media creation tool for Windows 10 and that will give you the option to put it on a USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I won't recommend Windows 7 to anybody. It only has 16 more months of support from Microsoft. At that point the OS is wide open. I love Windows 7 myself, but I won't recommend an operating system with a 16 month shelf life.

You can download the media creation tool for Windows 10 and that will give you the option to put it on a USB stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Thank you sir. Will go pick up a blank USB drive today. Guess its time to start reading up on all the best ways to improve Win10

Anyone ever use DBAN? Trying to securely wipe old HDDs and DBAN basically gives me errors each time, the main one being that it thinks I might need a driver. Looking online, these errors seem associated with SD card readers or RAID setups, of which I have neither. Totally stumped about an hour into digging around. I'm wondering if it's weird compatibility issues with X399 boards or something.
I had no such issues with a Z77 board, but that was my only experience with the tool. I’d suggest setting up a simplistic drive wipe box temporarily.

I've decided to get a 2080 ti (and I have prepared myself for the 2000 CAD bill that it will bring).

Has there been brand reviews yet? I tend to lean EVGA because of their customer service, but if I'm going to spend 2K, I want to get the best out of it.

Can't find any brand reviews from my admittedly weak google searching.

Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to see. Definitely waiting for the 9900k now as min frame rate is the most important metric for me.

Edit: is that only at 1080 though? I'm trying to parse through these benchmarks right now without using google translate. Either way I'll take the extra cpu horsepower as it'll make its use over time, will wait on the 9900k.

Last edited:
I had no such issues with a Z77 board, but that was my only experience with the tool. I’d suggest setting up a simplistic drive wipe box temporarily.
Yeah, I'm thinking of building a little Celeron rig or buy some used $50-$80 Core2Duo system from eBay for this purpose. Thanks.

Wait what? You were thinking about a 2080 and a 1080Ti but you decided to stick with a 970? Cyberpunk isn't coming for, what, 2 years? By that point the 970 will probably fall below the min requirements. Anyway it's obsolete now. The 2080 is a great card and will last you years and that will definitely be ready for Cyberpunk. Used 1080Tis are a decent price though there are some risks buying used. Even a new 1080 would be a better choice though.
I've had the GTX 970 for a very long time. It's from a older PC build I did many years back, that I decided to hold onto. I wanted to upgrade to something substantial in the future.

Yeah, I'm thinking of building a little Celeron rig or buy some used $50-$80 Core2Duo system from eBay for this purpose. Thanks.
It'll wipe a lot of drives at the same time, so just plan for the space you need. Even something with 4-5 bays is pretty useful and can be small. Of course if it's not an eyesore you can just stack the drives or whatever.

I tried to attach an e-SATA JBOD enclosure to my small case but was unable to get more than 1 of the external drives going at a time (with DBAN), not sure why.

This thread popping up again on the first page while checking today actually is what broke the camel's back for me.

What started as the idea of wanting a PC on the side to run the latest WoW expansion at max settings on has slowly devolved into a "what if I just completely switch over to PC gaming?" type of scenario.
Been feeling pretty anemic towards my PS4 and Xbox recently, primarily with the number of exclusives I personally care about having shrinked drastically this console generation, I feel like that in the long run I'm gonna be better served by a PC + Nintendo combo for my gaming needs.

Also, I'm just really giddy about actually assembling my own machine, haha.

So, to get to the relevant bits of my post.

My budget really depends on wether or not I wanna dip my toes into the 4K ocean, but either way I'm really keen on achieving 60fps for either 1080p or 4K regardless of what actually go for in the end.
I thought about going for higher refresh rates and higher fps in the 1080p realm but I gotta say that personally from what I could gather as impressions from looking at rigs of friends that the benefit for the added cost is more a diminishing returns type of deal for me. Solid 60fps is plenty enough for me.

Since I'm still sporting a 2014 MacBook Pro that absolutely accomplishes everything I need to do for work and hobby image/movie editing, the build's main priority is 100% gaming.

Here's where my leisure stance on resolution comes from. I'm absolutely not in a hurry to get it build right now and I'm willing to save up until I have the necessary funds to purchase the parts of even one of the high tier machines from the OP. Rough estimate w/o any sudden extra expenses I feel like February or early March next year is when I'll be liquid enough for the endeavor.

I definitely need a new monitor since the one I used for the PC I used ten years ago, but my mouse and keyboard from back then are still alive and kicking. Although since I wanna toy around with the possibility of hooking up the PC to my TV, I'm eyeing with BT variants of these, though those are really low priority compared to the monitor.

Lastly, despite being rather tech savvy and knowing my way around a soldering iron I don't think the necessary extra steps to ensure a safe environment for overclocking are up my alley for now, maybe at a later point.

I'm aware that my indecisiveness regards resolution leaves you guys a bit in the air when it comes to recommendations so any help comes greatly appreciated.. Maybe sell me on 4K even, haha.

I've decided to get a 2080 ti (and I have prepared myself for the 2000 CAD bill that it will bring).

Has there been brand reviews yet? I tend to lean EVGA because of their customer service, but if I'm going to spend 2K, I want to get the best out of it.

Don’t know if there have been any extensive comparisons of the ‘Tis because of the fucking delays. I do know EVGA is already putting themselves in a good position because they released a new BIOS already for the XC and XC Ultra that allows for 130% power limit. The FE is like 120 or 125 and I think someone mentioned the MSI duke being lower than that. Plus the customer service as you mentioned. Personally I’m expecting the XC Ultra to be one of the top cards.

Just a heads up, there is a 15% coupon active tomorrow on ebay. Discount up to $100.

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/69157.html
Nice! Thanks!

This thread popping up again on the first page while checking today actually is what broke the camel's back for me.

What started as the idea of wanting a PC on the side to run the latest WoW expansion at max settings on has slowly devolved into a "what if I just completely switch over to PC gaming?" type of scenario.
Been feeling pretty anemic towards my PS4 and Xbox recently, primarily with the number of exclusives I personally care about having shrinked drastically this console generation, I feel like that in the long run I'm gonna be better served by a PC + Nintendo combo for my gaming needs.

Also, I'm just really giddy about actually assembling my own machine, haha.

So, to get to the relevant bits of my post.

My budget really depends on wether or not I wanna dip my toes into the 4K ocean, but either way I'm really keen on achieving 60fps for either 1080p or 4K regardless of what actually go for in the end.
I thought about going for higher refresh rates and higher fps in the 1080p realm but I gotta say that personally from what I could gather as impressions from looking at rigs of friends that the benefit for the added cost is more a diminishing returns type of deal for me. Solid 60fps is plenty enough for me.

Since I'm still sporting a 2014 MacBook Pro that absolutely accomplishes everything I need to do for work and hobby image/movie editing, the build's main priority is 100% gaming.

Here's where my leisure stance on resolution comes from. I'm absolutely not in a hurry to get it build right now and I'm willing to save up until I have the necessary funds to purchase the parts of even one of the high tier machines from the OP. Rough estimate w/o any sudden extra expenses I feel like February or early March next year is when I'll be liquid enough for the endeavor.

I definitely need a new monitor since the one I used for the PC I used ten years ago, but my mouse and keyboard from back then are still alive and kicking. Although since I wanna toy around with the possibility of hooking up the PC to my TV, I'm eyeing with BT variants of these, though those are really low priority compared to the monitor.

Lastly, despite being rather tech savvy and knowing my way around a soldering iron I don't think the necessary extra steps to ensure a safe environment for overclocking are up my alley for now, maybe at a later point.

I'm aware that my indecisiveness regards resolution leaves you guys a bit in the air when it comes to recommendations so any help comes greatly appreciated.. Maybe sell me on 4K even, haha.
I mean if you’re waiting until next spring you’re probably looking at a 9900K, 2080Ti combo if you want to go balls out. I’m waiting to purchase a new display around that time and hoping there’s a 30”+, 4K, g sync, high refresh option with HDR for a semi reasonable price. The current options from Acer and ASUS are too small for me and I refuse to spend 2 grand on a 27” display. Should be a larger screen to get most out of 4K anyway.

Basically, pick a budget, and go with that. The #1 thing that makes the difference is the GPU, so try and maximise what you get on that front. The other thing I'd highly recommend is that unless you are storing hundreds of gigs of raw audio and video, don't even look at an HDD for "storage." If you can live with only have 5-10 games installed at a time, just get an SSD or an M.2 drive. You pretty much need an SSD/M.2 for your OS anyway. HDDs are something I am completely done with, they are just awful. Also, do not get 32gb of RAM. RAM is so expensive nowadays, but I'd still recommend 16gb, but some people claim to get away with 8gb, YMMV. In terms of RAM speed and features (RGB light, heatsinks, etc.) they aren't as important as your CPU, GPU, or storage, so if you can find a savings there I would take it, but there are schools of thought there, too.

In terms of PSU/Case, these often come with instant or mail-in rebates, so keep your eyes peeled for sales. The PSU doesn't need to be too beefy. I have a Ryzen/1080ti with a 550 gold-rated PSU and it's fine. You'll need more power if you're running multiple drives, multiple cards, many fans, etc. If you don't have a lot of physical hardware installed, read your manuals and determine your draw. You absolutely can get a case for like 30 bucks, but you will be dealing with some scraped knuckles and hassle when you change components, as well as annoyances when doing cabling, and your case may be "loud" in that fans can rattle the chassis. A good case will probably run over $100.

60fps 1080p is very easy in most games, even with options on max/extreme. 4k requires adjusting some stuff down. It really depends on the game. As long as it doesn't bother you not having all the sliders pulled to the right, you'll be fine.

In terms of monitors, there are two competing formats from nVidia and Radeon, so make sure you look at both monitors and GPUs before you buy, because you can get locked into one ecosystem over the other. In brief, Freesync (Radeon) monitors are much cheaper than similarly spec'd G-Sync (nVidia) monitors, so if you do plan on getting a monitor with sync tech down the road (you probably will), make sure you're prepared to eat a premium if you go with an nVidia GPU.

My PC is a 7700K + 1080ti and I finally decided to carry it into my living room and hook it up to my LG OLED. Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the FH4 demo both look incredible on it and I can surprisingly max both of them out at 4K 60 fps. Well with Tomb Raider I have to turn a handful of settings down a notch or two but it still looks amazing. Makes me wish I would've built the PC in a smaller and lighter case to make it easy to move back and forth.
Yeah, a 1080ti will play almost everything at 4K with some fiddling

So will a 1080 if you're willing to live with some resolution scaling or dropping AA or AO in some games. A lot of stuff that's not the latest & greatest will run in 4K on high settings.

I mean yeah if you're going to spend $1000+ on a 2080 Ti GPU then I would definitely go with the best EVGA version for $1250,

Oh look there is a brand new $1350 FTW3 Ultra Gaming version listed now! hahahaha. The best GPU now costs the same amount as an entire high-end DIY gaming build rofl.

IS freesync more for gamers that like to play shooters, or would it benefit single player games too? I always try to hit 60FPS with the best graphics options, but im wondering if i turn up some settings to hit lets says 40fps-60fps, would a freesync monitor help with that?

Also does freesync only help with tearing, or does it actually make the game feel smoother?

So Silicon Lottery confirmed that the 9700k and 9900k prices they listed as placeholders are msrp prices in their system:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...80-coffee-lake-r-binning.html#/topics/1705980

Silicon Lottery bin cpus for a rated speed and sell them for more.

Looking likely now that the 9700k msrp is 369 and the 9900k msrp 479. That 9900k price is steep but I'm expecting it to last me 5+ years and at least one GPU upgrade.

Last edited:
Fuck it, bought the PG279Q. Pair it alongside my 2080 and 4k 60hz HDR monitor and I've got the best of both worlds.

1440p high fps when HDR isn't supported, 4k monitor if it is.

Was tempted by ASUS' 4k 144hz HDR monitor but it's fucking £2200 and at 4k can't actually go higher than 98hz without chroma subsampling going weird, so it's exactly future proof. I can wait for cheaper 144hz 4k gsync monitors.

Until then, I will remain jealous of Smokey

So Silicon Lottery confirmed here that the 9700k and 9900k prices they listed as placeholders are msrp prices in their system:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/180...80-coffee-lake-r-binning.html#/topics/1705980

Silicon Lottery bin cpus for a rated speed and sell them for more.

Looking likely now that the 9700k msrp is 369 and the 9900k msrp 479. That 9900k price is steep but I'm expecting it to last me 5+ years and at least one GPU upgrade.
Going to sell my 8700k to help cut down that price a little. It probably will be a bit of a sidegrade, but I don't mind.

If you can hold on to your current CPU cooler, Noctua are releasing their NH-D15 in black in Q1/Q2 of 2019 (ugh):

If you’re on Intel, I would consider going with WD HDDs + ~16/32 GB Optane instead of Seagate’s SSHD; Seagate’s reliability is still a little iffy, and especially so if you don’t back up your HDD somewhere. I can’t remember a good benchmark link, but look into it:

As for your GPU, I might wait and see how Gigabyte’s 2080ti compares in benchmarks in noise, thermals, and performance to the other vendors. Without more to go on, you can look at how the 1080 cards compared when they came out. In the US, a lot of people buy EVGA because of their decent customer service and transferrable warranty on third-party selling.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and then there’s all the RGB crap for your GPU wrt its ability to sync up with the rest of your rainbow box of course.
Is the Gigabyte something I should be worried about? It just shipped today from Newegg and I won’t be able to return it so I’d have to sell it. Honestly it popped up for sale and I jumped on it because preorder opportunities have been scarce in the past week.

Debating whether to get a 2080 or 1080Ti, my 970 has served me well but it is time to move on, is there a particular "brand"(?) that I should be looking for? Like EVGA, ASUS, Gigabye

Debating whether to get a 2080 or 1080Ti, my 970 has served me well but it is time to move on, is there a particular "brand"(?) that I should be looking for? Like EVGA, ASUS, Gigabye
Performance wise there’s only a slight difference between the various models from each maker. All other things being fairly equal, the consensus is, and I’ll agree with it because I’ve owned two of their cards, EVGA has some of the best customer service. I’ve been through both their RMA process and step up program and they were flawless experiences

Retail on 1080Tis not far off from 2080 but I don’t know what prices you’re comparing so that may be a bigger factor. Then it’s a matter of whether you care about ray tracing and which resolutions you normally play at. On the one hand, RTX features will be a better experience at 1080p because of how demanding they are; on the other the 20 series cards are most noticeably better at higher resolutions.

I’d say the ceiling with 2080 is higher and may go higher still with driver improvements, so overall i’d lean towards that, but again price will factor in and I don’t know what numbers you may be comparing or how significant of a factor it is for you.

So I THINK that I've finally settled on what new stuff to buy. Though I'll most likely change my mind a dozen times before actually ordering the stuff. Thanks to two awesome benchmark comparisons over at TechSpot, I'm going to go with Ryzen 2600 + X470 Taichi unless Intel knocks it out of the park on price/performance with their new chips. Those articles share ~30 games in common with same settings and GPU, and the 8700k @ 5GHz only beats the 2600 @ 4.2GHz on average by ~4-5% in those games at 1440p. For $200 more than the 2600. Plus gives me the option to drop in a 7nm Ryzen next year.

Last edited:
Taichi is a good board. I have the x370 taichi and it works well for my desktop build. I paired it with a 1600 last year. The taichi is overkill for a 1600 (or 2600) but I bought the motherboard for the extra vrm power with the purpose of going to the 3700x next year or 4700x two years from now. If you aren't going to hop on a 3700x or 4700x you probably don't need the taichi. My guess is ryzen 2 will be worth it and the taichi board will have enough juice to handle ryzen 7nm and be able to over clock the CPU with no issue.

Last edited:
eBay will run a 15% off for purchases greater than $25, up to a $100 discount starting tomorrow and running through the day.

Good opportunity to snag some PC hardware usually.

Taichi is a good board. I have the x370 taichi and it works well for my desktop build. I paired it with a 1600 last year. The taichi is overkill for a 1600 (or 2600) but I bought the motherboard for the extra vrm power with the purpose of going to the 3700x next year or 4700x two years from now. If you aren't going to hop on a 3700x or 4700x you probably don't need the taichi. My guess is ryzen 2 will be worth it and the taichi board will have enough juice to handle ryzen 7nm and be able to over clock the CPU with no issue.
Right, that's pretty much my thought process as well. An overclocked 2600 is very competitive right now, and if the 3700 is a world beater next year, it's a simple swap into a motherboard that will be adequate for it.

Quick question for anyone that's got a lot of Corsair RGB: I'm in the middle of a new build and decided to get a corsair 570x and replace all the fans with HD120's and add the lightning node pro strips. I bought a Commander Pro because I thought I could connect everything their but apparantly I still need the to use the RGB hub on the 570x if I want to use the RGB on the fans. So if I got this right I connect the 4 pin fan connectors to the Commander Pro, the RGB fan connectors to the LED fan hub on the case, and connect the LED hub and RGB strips into the LED headers on the Commander Pro. Is that everything or am I missing a step?

Are things really this bad for Intel CPUs? I did notice everything seemed to become back ordered or double the price recently but I thought it might be because the 9xxx were rumoured.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/blog/intel-cpu-shortage-2018/

As the technology industry recovers from the extreme rise in the price of graphics cards instigated by the cryptocurrency mining demand earlier this year, there is currently a drought for Intel’s central processing units. This is a heavy hit for an industry that has been struggling to recover all year, reportedly leading to an estimated seven percent fall in PC sales.

The increase in demand for Intel’s CPU’s is the result of datacentre’s demanding more of Intel’s Xeon processors, overworking their capacity and leading to a severe technological drought of certain crucial products. This has saturated Intel’s production capacity.

The lack of supply has caused pricing to soar over the last two weeks; traders are buying CPU’s from websites and anywhere that they can in order to capitalise on the market situation and fulfill the demand for non-price sensitive customers. The results of this are consumers and business customers alike will see an increase in the cost of CPU’s.

The situation is not set to get any better and we expect to see Intel CPU shortages for the rest of the year. The eagerly anticipated 9th generation launch will also be hit by this and will be scarce supply. This is good news for AMD as the price to performance ratio for anyone looking at a new system will swing heavily in their favour.

For us to analyse the results of the future, let’s look back at the past – more specifically, the GPU shortage! In the last 6 months, the market has been in a state of clean up after stock forecasts were made based on artificial demand from the cryptocurrency mining spike that left graphics cards at high demand and with overpriced stock. With the shortages caused by cryptocurrency mining and the anticipated launch of Turin, the market has been in an unusual place with consumers seeing rising pricing on old Pascal technology, whilst also pondering the pricing to performance increases that they may benefit from by waiting for the new Turin architecture. The market is now a clearer place, the pricing for Turin is clearly visible and Pascal pricing is now back to where it should be.

Hopefully the same will be said for Intel’s CPU’s at the start of 2019. Until then, expect stocks to be in short supply and the prices of certain stock to skyrocket.

Is the Gigabyte something I should be worried about? It just shipped today from Newegg and I won’t be able to return it so I’d have to sell it. Honestly it popped up for sale and I jumped on it because preorder opportunities have been scarce in the past week.
I don’t know too much of the vendors, and I don’t think Gigabyte is a bad one by any means. Only the AIB (third-party vendor) benchmarks will show who comes out on top. One thing is track record, another is vendors having a one-off issue with their models like EVGA had with VRM cooling with Pascal, or like ASUS currently have with the fan controllers on their Strix 2080 Ti.

I don’t think Gigabyte has a bad rep when it comes to GPUs at all; Palit/Gainward seem to do the best in benchmarks, but they also tend to have the ugliest GPUs by a country mile so there are a billion trade-offs and rarely a “right” pick.

I mean just look at this abomination:

Fuck it, bought the PG279Q. Pair it alongside my 2080 and 4k 60hz HDR monitor and I've got the best of both worlds.

1440p high fps when HDR isn't supported, 4k monitor if it is.

Was tempted by ASUS' 4k 144hz HDR monitor but it's fucking £2200 and at 4k can't actually go higher than 98hz without chroma subsampling going weird, so it's exactly future proof. I can wait for cheaper 144hz 4k gsync monitors.

Until then, I will remain jealous of Smokey

I used to have that monitor, actually the original Swift that was 144hz. It's a GREAT monitor, you'll love it!