The PC Builders Thread ("I Need a New PC") v2

I need some feedback on my choices, I have trusty but old pc.
CPU: i5 4690
GPU: gtx 970
RAM: 16 ddr3

I'm planing on upgrading my 970 to the 1070 or 1070ti, i'm happy playing at 1080/60, so I think a 1080 would be overkill for my actual setup, and I prefer upgrading my gpu first and maybe next year the rest of the PC.

Am I right?

I have similar old hardware. i5 4670k, 16gb ddr3 and I just got a 1080ti to put into the system. Is 4670k going to bottleneck the GPU? Would overclocking it help?

FYI, I'm upgrading to a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor. That's the main driver for the upgrade.

Hey, I need please some feedback on my choices. I got a new CPU, ram and mainboard last year for free (insurance case, a lightning strike hit my pc and killed these parts) and now I want to replace my 6 years old case, psu and gpu (r9 270x 4GB) and a larger SSD / HDD (125gb / 1TB currently).

My planned spec:
CPU: Intel i7 – 7700 3,6 GHz (from last year)
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 (from last year)
Mainboard: ASUS Pro Gaming B150 (from last year)
SSD: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 500 GB Internes SSD (3D NAND, SATA, M.2 Type 2280SS)
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM006 Barracuda 2 TB interne Desktop Festplatte (8,89 cm (3,5 Zoll) 64 MB Cache, Sata 6 Gb/s)
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case
Case-Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan

I'm also a first time PC builder, is it difficult and a good idea to build a mainboard, CPU, CPU cooler and RAM from my old case into a new one? I plan to buy a 144hz 1440p gsync monitor in the coming months (1080p currently) and play mostly graphically intense games (e.g. Battlefield). My budget (without the monitor) is 1.300 - 1.500 €.

I appreciate any feedback on my build.

Hey, I need please some feedback on my choices. I got a new CPU, ram and mainboard last year for free (insurance case, a lightning strike hit my pc and killed these parts) and now I want to replace my 6 years old case, psu and gpu (r9 270x 4GB) and a larger SSD / HDD (125gb / 1TB currently).

My planned spec:
CPU: Intel i7 – 7700 3,6 GHz (from last year)
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
RAM: 2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 (from last year)
Mainboard: ASUS Pro Gaming B150 (from last year)
SSD: Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 500 GB Internes SSD (3D NAND, SATA, M.2 Type 2280SS)
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM006 Barracuda 2 TB interne Desktop Festplatte (8,89 cm (3,5 Zoll) 64 MB Cache, Sata 6 Gb/s)
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case
Case-Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan

I'm also a first time PC builder, is it difficult and a good idea to build a mainboard, CPU, CPU cooler and RAM from my old case into a new one? I plan to buy a 144hz 1440p gsync monitor in the coming months (1080p currently) and play mostly graphically intense games (e.g. Battlefield). My budget (without the monitor) is 1.300 - 1.500 €.

I appreciate any feedback on my build.
I see basically nothing wrong with your selection of parts. Make sure that 1080 Ti has two or three fans and isn't a single-fan "blower" style card, though. Otherwise, you're good.

Transferring the motherboard (mainboard), CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM isn't difficult. Just power down your current PC, unplug the back cable, press the power button again (not required, but helps discharge any residual stored electricity in the capacitors before you try and remove the motherboard), and then start taking parts out. I usually recommend the removal of the GPU first, then unscrew the motherboard and remove that; you can leave the CPU, RAM, and CPU cooler in the motherboard as you remove it as long as the CPU cooler isn't too unwieldy to handle and/or isn't blocking screws you need to access to remove the motherboard in the first place. In the new case, install motherboard standoffs if the case has them; some cases have them built-in already and you may not need to install any. Put your I/O shield into the back of your new case, align your motherboard to the standoffs, screw the motherboard into place. Re-install your GPU. That's it for the CPU/mobo/RAM/CPU coooler. Depending on the case, it can be easier to install the PSU first so you can route the cables as needed, but it depends on the case. Same for SSD/HDDs.

ASUS Pro Gaming B150
The B150 chipset supports a 7th gen Intel CPU like the 7700 but only after a bios update. The question is: Is it on the newest bios or on an older one?
Further, the B150 chipset doesn't support DDR4 beyond 2133MHz, the 3200MHz modules are a bit wasted here (they will work, but only at 2133MHz).

I'd recommend getting a new z270 board. It will 100% with your CPU and you don't need to worry about getting an older 6000 series CPU to flash the bios of your current mb to make it work with the 7700. The z270 board will also support your 3200MHz ram modules. As a first time builder you want a 100% compatible motherboard.

I'm also a first time PC builder, is it difficult and a good idea to build a mainboard, CPU, CPU cooler and RAM from my old case into a new one?
It doesn't matter, as long as you switch from an ATX case to an ATX case. All mid and big tower cases are build in the ATX format btw (or 90%+). Just make sure there is enough room to fit the GPU.

I plan to buy a 144hz 1440p gsync monitor in the coming months
Your machine will have plenty of power for that and the 1080Ti is a good choice. Just in case prices keep going up and the 1080Ti ends up costing as much as the 2080, get the 2080 instead.

Cross-posting, but I'm selling an unopened Corsair RM850x for $75 with free shipping to the continental USA if anyone is interested. Can sell to Canada etc but would need to charge for shipping. PM me if interested.

I have similar old hardware. i5 4670k, 16gb ddr3 and I just got a 1080ti to put into the system. Is 4670k going to bottleneck the GPU? Would overclocking it help?

FYI, I'm upgrading to a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor. That's the main driver for the upgrade.
For me it would bottleneck but just because I’m fine playing at 1080/60, to many frame rates for a 4690 to handle, basically its going to be all over the place and it won’t be stable.
But you already got your 1080ti so you just have to test it hahah, but it shouldn’t be a problem at 1440/144.

Last edited:
The B150 chipset supports a 7th gen Intel CPU like the 7700 but only after a bios update. The question is: Is it on the newest bios or on an older one?
Further, the B150 chipset doesn't support DDR4 beyond 2133MHz, the 3200MHz modules are a bit wasted here (they will work, but only at 2133MHz).

I'd recommend getting a new z270 board. It will 100% with your CPU and you don't need to worry about getting an older 6000 series CPU to flash the bios of your current mb to make it work with the 7700. The z270 board will also support your 3200MHz ram modules. As a first time builder you want a 100% compatible motherboard.

It doesn't matter, as long as you switch from an ATX case to an ATX case. All mid and big tower cases are build in the ATX format btw (or 90%+). Just make sure there is enough room to fit the GPU.

Your machine will have plenty of power for that and the 1080Ti is a good choice. Just in case prices keep going up and the 1080Ti ends up costing as much as the 2080, get the 2080 instead.
I see basically nothing wrong with your selection of parts. Make sure that 1080 Ti has two or three fans and isn't a single-fan "blower" style card, though. Otherwise, you're good.

Transferring the motherboard (mainboard), CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM isn't difficult. Just power down your current PC, unplug the back cable, press the power button again (not required, but helps discharge any residual stored electricity in the capacitors before you try and remove the motherboard), and then start taking parts out. I usually recommend the removal of the GPU first, then unscrew the motherboard and remove that; you can leave the CPU, RAM, and CPU cooler in the motherboard as you remove it as long as the CPU cooler isn't too unwieldy to handle and/or isn't blocking screws you need to access to remove the motherboard in the first place. In the new case, install motherboard standoffs if the case has them; some cases have them built-in already and you may not need to install any. Put your I/O shield into the back of your new case, align your motherboard to the standoffs, screw the motherboard into place. Re-install your GPU. That's it for the CPU/mobo/RAM/CPU coooler. Depending on the case, it can be easier to install the PSU first so you can route the cables as needed, but it depends on the case. Same for SSD/HDDs.
Thank you for your feedback!

I created a list on pcpartpicker and changed the following things:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/hHQVbX

1. Z270 mainboard as you recommended. I have noticed that I made a mistake about my ram. I used CPUZ and my is RAM 2134Mhz and not 3000.

2. Another Case from Phaneks which has 2 pre-installed 140mm fans

3. My old CPU cooler is a Thermaltake - Contac Silent 12, does it fit on the new motherboard (worth keeping?) or should I buy a new one?

4. What I noticed, is my PSU too powerful (750w) and should I pick the 650w version?

5. I will order all parts and build them into the new case before I order the gpu (1080Ti or 2080).

For me it would bottleneck but just because I’m fine playing at 1080/60, to many frame rates for a 4690 to handle, basically its going to be all over the place and it won’t be stable.
But you already got your 1080ti so you just have to test it hahah, but it shouldn’t be a problem at 1440/144.
Yeah, I'll have to test it.

I didn't understand the rest of what you said. You have too many frames to handle at 1080p/60fps?

Why do you need the network adapter or wifi adapter? The motherboard has both. The onboard sound is probably fine as well.

The system is a bit mismatched with a GTX 970 in it. Are you planning to add to add a new card at some point in the near future?

edit: My own advice - dump the add on cards and dump the water cooling. Get one of the recommended air coolers in the OP and put the other money towards a GTX 1080, or better. Sell the GTX 970 when you get the new card in. They're depreciating in value, so I would do it soon.

Just a note about “overkill” on GPUs. Unless you plan to replace it relatively frequently, there is no such thing. Games will continue to get more demanding. If you’re only playing on 1080p that’s fine but it gives you headroom to use/continue to use max settings.

If the difference between the card you think you should get and the card you actually want is reasonable, get the better card every time. You’re future proofing yourself and giving yourself better results in the present.

Hey everyone, I just bought components for a new 2700x build and have everything but my new case thus far. The only thing that concerns me is my ram and CPU came with no dunnage/packing material at all. Nothing seems to be rattling a bunch or looks off, but the lid of the CPU has a weird coffee stain looking film over two different areas of it. Almost like someone spilled a liquid of some sort on top and let it dry. No pins looked bent at all though and the surface seemed completely flat as you'd imagine. Should I be concerned, or should I just clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol? Thank you.

Hey everyone, I just bought components for a new 2700x build and have everything but my new case thus far. The only thing that concerns me is my ram and CPU came with no dunnage/packing material at all. Nothing seems to be rattling a bunch or looks off, but the lid of the CPU has a weird coffee stain looking film over two different areas of it. Almost like someone spilled a liquid of some sort on top and let it dry. No pins looked bent at all though and the surface seemed completely flat as you'd imagine. Should I be concerned, or should I just clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol? Thank you.
Can you send a pic of the CPU? It really shouldn't be stained in any way if it's a new CPU. Where did you buy it from? Did it look sealed when you opened the package?

RAM and CPUs are secured well-enough in their packaging, IMO, that they really don't need a lot of extra padding, if any.

Can you send a pic of the CPU? It really shouldn't be stained in any way if it's a new CPU. Where did you buy it from? Did it look sealed when you opened the package?

RAM and CPUs are secured well-enough in their packaging, IMO, that they really don't need a lot of extra padding, if any.
I bought it from Amazon and they were all fulfilled via Amazon's centers/warehouses, not a 3rd party. Here's my pic, the shadows slightly obscure the stains a bit. To be clear, I physically removed the CPU from the plastic casing and it still had the brown stain on the "R" in Ryzen and also discoloration under the larger Ryzen text I highlighted. These did not go away based on lighting or the angle I took pictures at, and were there after taking it outside the plastic shell.

And another, I know it's faint but the discoloration is definitely there regardless of angle/lighting even when I took the CPU outside that plastic packaging. I just don't want to handle it "naked" more than I have to.

Yeah, I'll have to test it.

I didn't understand the rest of what you said. You have too many frames to handle at 1080p/60fps?
hahaha actually i dont understand either, yesterday i was trying to figure out which of the 1070/1080 would be fine at 1080/60, and i read somewhere something something benchmark benchmark, 1080ti its too overkill for 1080/60 gaming, but mostly because i would be wasting money on something that i wouldn't be using to is fullest.
I dont know if i made my point clear hahah, but either way you already got your 1080ti, so you should test you cpu and see how it runs.

I bought it from Amazon and they were all fulfilled via Amazon's centers/warehouses, not a 3rd party. Here's my pic, the shadows slightly obscure the stains a bit. To be clear, I physically removed the CPU from the plastic casing and it still had the brown stain on the "R" in Ryzen and also discoloration under the larger Ryzen text I highlighted. These did not go away based on lighting or the angle I took pictures at, and were there after taking it outside the plastic shell.

And another, I know it's faint but the discoloration is definitely there regardless of angle/lighting even when I took the CPU outside that plastic packaging. I just don't want to handle it "naked" more than I have to.

I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but there have been warnings that 3rd party and official Amazon stock for some products gets mixed, so even if you buy from Amazon and it's fulfilled by Amazon, you might get a bootleg 3rd party item. I'll try to find it.

Edit: https://hardforum.com/threads/amazon-i9-warning.1966441/

Of course your CPU is prob fine, just a thought.

Last edited:
hahaha actually i dont understand either, yesterday i was trying to figure out which of the 1070/1080 would be fine at 1080/60, and i read somewhere something something benchmark benchmark, 1080ti its too overkill for 1080/60 gaming, but mostly because i would be wasting money on something that i wouldn't be using to is fullest.
I dont know if i made my point clear hahah, but either way you already got your 1080ti, so you should test you cpu and see how it runs.
Oh okay, cool. That makes sense. I'm going to!

Still waiting on Intel reviews (particularly the i5-9600k) before making a final decision, but I had to go ahead and jump on an X470 Taichi from NewEgg. $20 off promotion plus a $20 mail-in rebate both expire on Monday. NewEgg's return policy is 30 days, so the box will just sit unopened for a couple of weeks until Intel news arrives.

Still waiting on Intel reviews (particularly the i5-9600k) before making a final decision, but I had to go ahead and jump on an X470 Taichi from NewEgg. $20 off promotion plus a $20 mail-in rebate both expire on Monday. NewEgg's return policy is 30 days, so the box will just sit unopened for a couple of weeks until Intel news arrives.
I think you know this, but don't send off the rebate/remove the UPC until you're sure you won't be returning it!

So I wanted to cool down my Threadripper build even more, but couldn't quite fit a second Noctua fan onto my CPU heatsink due to some protruding hoses out of my GPU's AIO. So, I found this 140mm x 140mm x 15mm fan either good reviews from Prolimatech. Never heard of the company, but most fans are 25mm thick, so the 10mm thinner fan is pretty narrow and perfect for my need.

OK so I threw that bad boy in there using zipties because I don't have any fan clips that work with a thin fan... This is what my system looks like from above right now (12 inch ruler for scale).

There isn't much room to hide cables in the Thermaltake Core V21, but I plan to do a little more clean-up in the basement there soon. As far as airflow, those cables don't matter much since there's a huge 200mm fan in the front as an intake anyway. The cables block maybe 5-10% of that max.

So, finally, my temperatures at idle are insane!

Around 24-25C whereas they were around 28-29C idle (room temp is 20C) before I added the second fan. Haven't tested loads yet as I just set this all up, but a few degrees shaved using an essentially silent fan is totally worth it to me.

Lol. I bought the gigabyte 1080ti for $650 and now it's $799... wow.
Winner winner! That feels so good when that happens.

I got 3 questions:
  1. A i7-8700K should be paired with 2666mhz RAM right?
  2. What is a decent mainboard? Got my eyes on a GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0-OP. Good choice?
  3. What power unit does a 2080TI need? 550? 750?
Currently eyeing this setup:
  • 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8700K € 459,-
  • 1 x Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB € 139,90
  • 1 x Toshiba DT01ACA200 2 TB € 57,90
  • 1 x be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W € 184,90
  • 1 x GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0-OP € 177,90
  • 1 x Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4-2666 Kit € 274,-
  • 1 x Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Phoenix GS € 1.299,-
  • 1 x be quiet! Dark Rock 4 € 61,90
  • 1 x Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 Rev.B, Big-Tower € 117,90

Last edited:
I want to upgrade my current i5 3550, 8gb ddr3. I'm thinking about the i58400 paired with an 8gb ddr4 2666mhz. What about the mobo? Is it worth to invest in an expensive one even though I wouldn't be getting an overclockable CPU? Guess I'm going for the budget option on this one, like a b60. What do you guys think?

Finally bought the 1060 6gb! I'm so happy right now, games play like a dream!

Only thing left to do is buying some damn isopropyl alcohol to change thermal paste on the CPU. Was 10 minutes late to the store today and it closed

Hey, I also have similar hardware! i5 4670k, 16 gb ddr3 and a 1070 with a 1440p Gsync monitor. I had a 970 in that same setup for a while and it was ok, but the 1070 has generally been solid for most games. That said, there are definitely more demanding games that still give the 1070 some issues at 1440p, so I've been thinking of upgrading the GPU to maybe a 1080ti or a 2080. So I'd be curious how your 1080ti does with your 4670k

Then again, its been about 5 years since I really upgraded the guts of my PC with my 4670k and I'm still on Windows 7, so I've kind of gotten the itch to just build an all new PC from the ground up and maybe reconfigure my current build with the 4670k and 1070 into a small form factor machine that I'll use as more of a dedicated home theater/gaming PC.

So I guess my question for everyone is, is there anything big coming up between now and maybe the first half of next year to wait for? I'm not in any hurry to build something now, beyond just sort of feeling like it, so I can definitely wait. If I do an entire new build, I've been leaning towards maybe going back to AMD and Ryzen. Is AMD releasing their next gen Ryzen chips early 2019? Does Intel have anything interesting on the horizon?

Best way to upgrade this old system with a budget of 1000,- €?
My Monitor is 1080p/60Hz. Gaming only.

Asus P8Z68-M Pro Intel Z68
NVIDIA 960 GTX MSI OC 4GB
Intel Core i5-2500k
4 x 4 GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333
530W be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-530W

SSD 60GB Corsair Force 3
SSD 240GB SanDisk
Hitachi 1000GB 7200 u/min

Do we have a PC troubleshooting thread? I'm trying to solve my kids PC problems. I've check all the wiring and it's good. I've re-seated the RAM and GPU. CPU and GPU temps are fine. But his PC will shutdown without warning, without errors being thrown. Is there any logs I can check? The only thing I can think the problem can be is a bad PSU.

Put a cheap Ryzen build together a few months ago...

- Ryzen 3 2200g
- 2x4g 3200 Ram
- B350 Mobo (Believe its was the Asrock AB350M)
- 530w PSU modular (Raidmax)

My question:

I do plan on eventually picking up a GPU for this build to replace the on board vega graphics, im curious what era would recommend for this build (Im looking for something relatively cheap, 150-300 dollar range Canadian). Ultimately the goal is something that should be able to achieve 1080p resolution at medium to low settings in most modern games, with a solid 60 fps and possible overhead. I was considering an RX 570 or at GTX 1060 but again id rather see what Era has to say before i make my mind up on anything.

Do we have a PC troubleshooting thread? I'm trying to solve my kids PC problems. I've check all the wiring and it's good. I've re-seated the RAM and GPU. CPU and GPU temps are fine. But his PC will shutdown without warning, without errors being thrown. Is there any logs I can check? The only thing I can think the problem can be is a bad PSU.
What are you doing when it shuts down? How long after boot up does it take to shut down? I'd guess a PSU issue through.

Put a cheap Ryzen build together a few months ago...

- Ryzen 3 2200g
- 2x4g 3200 Ram
- B350 Mobo (Believe its was the Asrock AB350M)
- 530w PSU modular (Raidmax)

My question:

I do plan on eventually picking up a GPU for this build to replace the on board vega graphics, im curious what era would recommend for this build (Im looking for something relatively cheap, 150-300 dollar range Canadian). Ultimately the goal is something that should be able to achieve 1080p resolution at medium to low settings in most modern games, with a solid 60 fps and possible overhead. I was considering an RX 570 or at GTX 1060 but again id rather see what Era has to say before i make my mind up on anything.
A GTX 1060 6 GB or RX 580 would be good options, I think. Make sure your 530w Raidmax PSU has the proper connections for whatever GPU you buy.

What are you doing when it shuts down? How long after boot up does it take to shut down? I'd guess a PSU issue through.
From what I can tell it's at random times. He'll be watching youtube to playing roblox and it happens. The length of time it takes to happen isn't consistent either.

From what I can tell it's at random times. He'll be watching youtube to playing roblox and it happens. The length of time it takes to happen isn't consistent either.
I'd say PSU issue. Maybe try it on a different power outlet/with a different power brick if you're using one just to eliminate that as a possibility.

I'd say PSU issue. Maybe try it on a different power outlet/with a different power brick if you're using one just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Thanks, I've tried different outlets, same result. I don't have a backup psu to test but it's my hunch too so I'll probably just end up grabbing a new one.

Is there a reason why I've never had luck with using my case's front USB ports? They seem to be really unreliable. My old case was a Coolermaster 690 and now, use a Bitfenix Shinobi XL and unreliable USB ports was a common thing between the 2. Examples are some of my USB flashdrives won't even get detected when plugged in here. My bluetooth adapter will also only work 50% of the time (keep getting an unrecognized USB message) and I have to randomly plug it on different ports until it works.

Going to discard my fractal node 202 case and resurrect my pc in the Meshify C.

Final parts arriving this week (evga g2 psu, bunch of noctua fans & noctua fan hub).

Need to get a large hdd for storage but that will have to wait for a few weeks.

Look forward to finally getting it in the Meshify C.

Soda is that a U14S heatsink/fan cooler? That looks like a neat setup maybe i'll try that with mine with the extra cooling fan.
Yeah, it's the NH-U14S TR4 (Threadripper). I really like this slim fan I added on to it. It does seem to have a bit if a high-pitched whine/sound at high RPM though, but it is basically never running above about 600 RPM so it isn't something that I hear much. A few 6" zipties we're all I needed to mount it.

I’m currently looking to upgrade my GPU, but for the time being I’ll be using my 960 and was wondering if I’d be able to run the new Battlefield 5 and CoD B4 at 144hz @ 1080p (low/medium settings are fine for me for now)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16gb Corsair 3000mhz DDR4
GPU: MSI 960
PSU: Corsair CX450