The Pinball (digital and physical) ERA |OT| Full Tilt

Seems a little high to me, but it depends on the quality and how much you like it.

And which Super Mario pin do you mean? There were two.
Not Musroom World, the full-sized blue one.

It looks immaculate. Cabinet art and back glass are fully intact, legs and frame are powder coated, playfield is either perfect (or near enough to make no visible difference) and clear coated, LEDs, side blade art installed. Under the field is cleaned.

Seems like the going rate is $1500-$3000 but that's for an as-is machine usually. I've played one before and liked it despite the work that particular machine needed.

In case for those that can't see Twitter posts:

The Williams Table pack which includes Medieval Madness, The Getaway II, and Junkyard will come out on October 9th on Steam, Windows 10 Store, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch for $9.99. Fish Tales will be free for all Pinball FX3 users.

Also not only will you get the classic tables, you'll also get Remastered versions of them, in the Zen Studios Pinball FX treatment. Those versions are live in the beta branch.

Still seems a little high to me, but it depends on your budget and preference.
I'm torn. I was saving for an Attack on Mars special edition but those are going to be comparatively easier to find than a restored Mario.

I know Mario is not a favorite among most for being considered easy but I enjoyed my time with it. Just won't know for sure if I'll still like it six months from now.

I'm torn. I was saving for an Attack on Mars special edition but those are going to be comparatively easier to find than a restored Mario.

I know Mario is not a favorite among most for being considered easy but I enjoyed my time with it. Just won't know for sure if I'll still like it six months from now.
The issue here is the rule set is not very deep and whilst it might keep you entertained for a month or so as you learn the table after that is anyones guess...............Attack On Mars on the other hand

For $5000 you should get a favorite not just an enjoyable table.

Is $5000 for a fully-restored Super Mario pin a ridiculous price?
Not Musroom World, the full-sized blue one.

It looks immaculate. Cabinet art and back glass are fully intact, legs and frame are powder coated, playfield is either perfect (or near enough to make no visible difference) and clear coated, LEDs, side blade art installed. Under the field is cleaned.

Seems like the going rate is $1500-$3000 but that's for an as-is machine usually. I've played one before and liked it despite the work that particular machine needed.
Hell no

I’m telling you, that’s a terrible investment for a home pin and you probably won’t get 5k back or an equivalent value in trade. Unless you’re a Super Mario superfan, in which case the novelty of the machine might be enough for you to justify the cost.

For $5500 you could get a new Stern Pro model and it will hold that value for several years, easy. That means warranties, customer support, modern tech that’s easier to maintain. Also, since Stern tables are always getting updates a new Stern will evolve in a way that will keep the game fresh and interesting as they add new modes and features and assets and tweak and rebalance what’s already there.

If Mario was a banger game already that would be one thing, but it’s really just mediocre and the theme is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Did anybody catch this last week? It's Farsight's newly developed game.

https://nintendoeverything.com/party-arcade-lands-on-switch-next-month/
Ahh, the inevitable return to their shovelware roots

Last edited:
Playing some Pinball FX3 in eagerness to pass the time till the williams bundle hits.
I thought the xmen table on pinball fx for some reason was like the old 360 street fighter table in layout for some damned reason. Just thad it all mixed up in my head. I kept thinking it had some dull layout and not a lot to shoot for, but today I started browsing my collection and lo and behold I'd been overlooking a really great 90's comic book themed table with a lot of multiball and ramp stuff to enjoy. Loving this.

So far I gotta say that the new adventure land table they put out awhile back is fast becoming a favorite on Pinball FX3.
Really thinking to myself lately if I go in on building a digital table someday that I may not even bother with hyperpin and just go pure pinball fx3. Its just so good to me that I'd like to have a dedicated table.

Oh, that's a relief. Nobody should ever actually want the Mario pin. TBH I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't license it out sometime in the future because it would be fucking massive in arcades if given the right treatment, but either of the Gottlieb games are pretty terrible.

Ahh, the inevitable return to their shovelware roots
They've been teetering on doing it for a while. Remember the bowling game on iOS? No?

What about that "ballz" game or whatever on iOS? Or the competitive pinball one where they just used the Haunted House layout?

Anyway, I'm really waiting for the Switch port of this:

I visited recently the newly opened Athens Pinball Museum.It features about 100 pinball machines, although a few are (currently) not working (the machines are on free play).There are more in storage, so more will be added (or rotated) in the future.It was great to play so many classic tables (played a lot of Theatre of Magic), and i will certainly visit again in the near future.

Last edited:
So let’s take a moment here to discuss what’s going on between the two biggest digital pinball developers.

Zen is about to start releasing classic Williams 4-packs for $10 each (i called it! Where’s my cookie?) which is a great value on par with what Farsight was charging in 2012. Making the excellent Fish Tales forever free is a smart move to show off how the Williams tables differ from Zen’s creations, but also how their recreations compare to Farsight.

Farsight is now charging $10 flat for all their tables going forward (I called this too!) although the $15 for two takes the sting out a little.

4 tables for $10
2 tables for $15

But it’s not just the quantity of tables that make an impact when considering the prices. With Pinball FX3 you get a highly-polished product with deep multiplayer intergration and tons of features. With Farsight you get lots of jank.

I mean, hell, 6 months since they released a new table and Whoah Nellie’s release has a fucked up playfield? You’re charging $10 and expecting people to wait til you make it right and you’re doing this just about every release. This is not a rare occurrence, something significant is always broken when these tables come out.

Then let’s just look at the table choices. We know it takes Farsight a long time to get a table out now. Why did they focus on unexciting games like Big Buck Hunter and Whoah Nellie when neither theme is popular and both games are regarded as thoroughly mediocre? They went with those when they have access to amazing properties and tables like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Metallica, etc?? Digital rights to these are all owned by Stern, they don’t even need to seperately license this stuff!

Williams is a huge get, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not the end-all, be-all. There’s hundreds of awesome pinball tables between Stern (and by proxy Data East) and the classic Gottliebs. But Farsight went with Whoah Nellie and Big Buck Hunter. Of course, it makes sense that they’d want to finish what they started back in January 2017.

That really tells you everything about who is behind the wheel.

Yeah, I really don't mind the FX3 UI or package, I know people hate both UIs a lot, but Zen definitely works better for me, finding tables is faster and the extra multiplayer functionality and all the XP/goal/meta-game stuff is nice if you want it.

I also think using 3D effects and models causing havoc all over the boards is pretty fun for a bonus mode, and the theming of the real licensed boards is often more interesting to me as well, over their own creations - so it's the best of both worlds. Real simulations and video game enhanced versions. I'm sure plenty of people will have no interest at all but they look like a fun way for a change of pace to some of your favorite tables.

HotHamBoy it is a 3 table bundle for FX3

And yeah the recent release is a blunder in all the scoop of the word, from the IP to the implementation but as you say it is not near for doom to them.

If they could announce right now with a working demo the LOTR table, they could steal all the thunder from FX3.

what will hurt farsight more is the lack of schedule and that williams blindside them but the modern stern partnership is as strong as the williams is.

And yeah the recent release is a blunder in all the scoop of the word, from the IP to the implementation but as you say it is not near for doom to them.

If they could announce right now with a working demo the LOTR table, they could steal all the thunder from FX3.

what will hurt farsight more is the lack of schedule and that williams blindside them but the modern stern partnership is as strong as the williams is.
I was making the assumption that Fish Tales is the 4th table but as a promotion it's also free and that the future bundles will also have 4 tables. I guess we will see.

Incidentally, LOTR is one of the table licenses they don't have. Stern started writing digital rights into their contracts around 2012ish, IIRC, so anything made prior to that would need to be pursued seperately. So that includes LOTR and Simpsons Pinball Party.

They have a tough road ahead of them.

Personally, I hope that Zen prioritizes tables that weren't already in TPA for awhile since many greats are still out there. Congo, Dirty Harry, Radical, Rollergames, Mousin Around, The Flintstones, Indiana Jones, Johnny Mnemonic, The Shadow, etc

Lots of licenses but a lot of those have to be cheap as hell and they already said their going after the biggest one, Indiana Jones.

Given their relationship with Disney that's probably an easy get for them.

So let’s take a moment here to discuss what’s going on between the two biggest digital pinball developers.

Zen is about to start releasing classic Williams 4-packs for $10 each (i called it! Where’s my cookie?) which is a great value on par with what Farsight was charging in 2012. Making the excellent Fish Tales forever free is a smart move to show off how the Williams tables differ from Zen’s creations, but also how their recreations compare to Farsight.

Farsight is now charging $10 flat for all their tables going forward (I called this too!) although the $15 for two takes the sting out a little.

4 tables for $10
2 tables for $15

But it’s not just the quantity of tables that make an impact when considering the prices. With Pinball FX3 you get a highly-polished product with deep multiplayer intergration and tons of features. With Farsight you get lots of jank.

I mean, hell, 6 months since they released a new table and Whoah Nellie’s release has a fucked up playfield? You’re charging $10 and expecting people to wait til you make it right and you’re doing this just about every release. This is not a rare occurrence, something significant is always broken when these tables come out.

Then let’s just look at the table choices. We know it takes Farsight a long time to get a table out now. Why did they focus on unexciting games like Big Buck Hunter and Whoah Nellie when neither theme is popular and both games are regarded as thoroughly mediocre? They went with those when they have access to amazing properties and tables like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Metallica, etc?? Digital rights to these are all owned by Stern, they don’t even need to seperately license this stuff!

Williams is a huge get, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not the end-all, be-all. There’s hundreds of awesome pinball tables between Stern (and by proxy Data East) and the classic Gottliebs. But Farsight went with Whoah Nellie and Big Buck Hunter. Of course, it makes sense that they’d want to finish what they started back in January 2017.

That really tells you everything about who is behind the wheel.
Yeah i agree, first, Farsight better look at their price closely, cause competition, Zen and Zaccaria, offer way more for your buck than them. Its sure a major blow to them, but there is an incredible library of old tables from Gottlieb and Stern they could re-create, to give them more juice. I personnaly wish they concentrate in bringing a larger pools of older tables from Gottlieb, Stern, Data East rather than trying to bring one or two big name table like Maiden, Metallica , etc, and they to sell this tables at 15$. They have in their hand a large pool of tables they can do, what will they do with it, we dont know. Perhaps Stern tie them up and want them to release newer Stern stuff, i dont know, it would just be great to hear a statement from them on what is coming next. We just know they lost the license and ,nothing after.Im in for more pinball from them, but price and offering will be a big factor. There is no way im putting 14$ CND or 21$ for the latest two table pack.

Full disclosure, this is my Twitter account. If this violates a TOS I'll remove it. TBH, if I have a personal agenda it's not having to pay for online for now as this is literally all I would use online for between now and Smash.

But if it got traction I think a lot of people would appreciate it beyond myself.

There's a lot of people who simply won't play in tournaments and digital pinball is already pretty niche. By all rights Pinball FX3 is a F2P game.

What about other F2P games?
My guess is F2P games aren't NSO-free just because they are F2P. There could be contractual and/or technical reasons on a game-by-game basis.

Secondly, the free table(s) in FX3 don't really make it a F2P game. The free table(s) are really just demos. It's only a tiny fraction of the total content available in the game.

My guess is F2P games aren't NSO-free just because they are F2P. There could be contractual and/or technical reasons on a game-by-game basis.

Secondly, the free table(s) in FX3 don't really make it a F2P game. The free table(s) are really just demos. It's only a tiny fraction of the total content available in the game.
It's not a demo, it's an entire game. The content ratio used to be much smaller.

It's not a demo, it's an entire game. The content ratio used to be much smaller.
The point I agree with you the most on is that the tournaments and matchups are just glorified high score tables. It does seem strange that NSO is required for that.

But the truth is, I'm paying $20 a year to sit and listen to Dr. Mario's music. Everything else about NSO is icing on the cake. Gravy on the potatoes. Anchovies on the pizza.

I was always planning on doing NSO for save backups. I don't see how you can use the device without any insurance your saves won't be destroyed if it breaks or gets stolen. I suppose if you don't ever play games with 100+ hour saves, but even stuff like Hollow Knight, I'd be so upset if I had lost a 20 hour save.

I do agree it seems weird for NSO to be needed for tracking high scores of tournaments, and doubly so when you consider how crappy their search and stability is for tournaments in the first place.

The Getaway: High Speed II

Pinball Arcade (DX11 4K-TATE)

Pinball FX3 (4K-TATE) (First beta version)

From the most recent episode of Better Call Saul

Last edited:
Oof, the lighting for those big red jet bumpers on The Getaway really needs some work in PBFX3.
Yeah, they're embarrassingly plastic-looking.
The metal ramps look worse.

BUT. The TPA version does not look that good on Switch where as the PBFX3 Switch version will likely look identical.

Some elements look better in PBFX3. The stoplight, for example

So is PBFX3 on Switch going to have goals and achievements and such like the PC version? Or does it already?
It already does

The Getaway: High Speed II

Pinball FX3 (Remastered-5K)

Fish Tales

Pinball FX3 (Remastered-5K)
This is kinda cool but also kinda dumb and pointless.

I'm glad it's optional but it still seems like a waste of resources. I'm guessing their animators are just twiddling their thumbs otherwise.

I like that they market this as making these tables modernized digital pinball experiences when they've been doing the "character standing on playfield" gimmick for almost a decade.

Excited to have these tables on my Switch, finally. The only one I don't care for is Junkyard but that's fine, they can't always appeal to me personally.

They probably won't do it but I'd love to see future packs focus on specific designers.

JPop pack
Theatre of Magic
Cirqus Voltaire
World Cup Soccer
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Lawlor
Funhouse
Twilight Zone
Addams Family
Road Show or Whirlwind

Etc

Last edited:
I wonder what the release cadence will be like after the first few packs. I'm guessing they've had 6-8 months lead time for this pack and the others that are to follow, though of course certain resources have probably been dedicated to developing the general physics engine. No problem though; my budget will certainly appreciate only dropping $10 every few months to get tables on the Switch (maybe $20 if I spring for PC as well) as opposed to the huge TPA outlay I made in May/June on multiple platforms, hah.

I'm just thrilled for the chance to play real tables with the tournament features FX3 offers! I can get much better context for how mediocre my skillz are!

I wonder what the release cadence will be like after the first few packs. I'm guessing they've had 6-8 months lead time for this pack and the others that are to follow, though of course certain resources have probably been dedicated to developing the general physics engine. No problem though; my budget will certainly appreciate only dropping $10 every few months to get tables on the Switch (maybe $20 if I spring for PC as well) as opposed to the huge TPA outlay I made in May/June on multiple platforms, hah.

I'm just thrilled for the chance to play real tables with the tournament features FX3 offers! I can get much better context for how mediocre my skillz are!
They have one more pack planned for this year and they said “many more” in 2019. I’m guessing bi-monthly.

That would be 32 tables by 2020.