The Pinball (digital and physical) ERA |OT| Full Tilt

They have one more pack planned for this year and they said “many more” in 2019. I’m guessing bi-monthly.

That would be 32 tables by 2020.
Ah. I saw that another pack was slated for 2018 release, but not the "many more" for 2019. Can't complain in any case; went from assuming TPA was it forever to having something to be excited about, so it's already a win.

So this is really interesting.

Zen's new physics will be called "Pro Physics" and will be an option along with the classic physics.

I don't know if this will extend to the entire catalogue or just the Williams tables.

I can understand the physics being an option.

Some people are going to feel more comfortable if the real tables have the same physics they are used to that is reused in all the fake tables. Likewise they are going to feel wrecked if the better physics all of a sudden appear in their fake tables.

Honestly I'd prefer this to be a table by table option, hopefully it is.

Screen shot request: maybe start doing split screen down the middle? Most tables have enough elements that are symmetrical that this is useful. It's hard for me to scroll back and forth comparing.

I'm glad it's optional but it still seems like a waste of resources. I'm guessing their animators are just twiddling their thumbs otherwise.
My guess is that it's meant to get people who only ever played original Zen tables into playing the Williams ones. For people who are used to those sort of things, now they have them.

It's one step closer to getting modern versions of these (even though they don't mess with the gameplay), I guess?

It's one step closer to getting modern versions of these (even though they don't mess with the gameplay), I guess?
Oh, HELL NO! I HATED those games precisely because the digital gimmicks screw up the gameplay. As I remember, High Speed had a bomber that planted explosives on the ramp, and Pin*Bot had spaceships that shot missiles at your flippers and could destroy them. Hated, hated, HATED that shit for screwing up the games.

Damn you, Shaneus , for dredging up those traumatic memories!
(not really ;-)

Oh, HELL NO! I HATED those games precisely because the digital gimmicks screw up the gameplay. As I remember, High Speed had a bomber that planted explosives on the ramp, and Pin*Bot had spaceships that shot missiles at your flippers and could destroy them. Hated, hated, HATED that shit for screwing up the games.

Damn you, Shaneus , for dredging up those traumatic memories!
(not really ;-)
It's all good, I was only bringing them up in jest anyway :)

I was actually playing HS and MM with the gimmicky shit last night, and it's actually pretty valuable having the scores pop up for every switch you hit. It's one thing to see your score on the DMD roll over, but to know exactly what a pop bumper hit or ramp is worth is pretty cool.

My guess is that it's meant to get people who only ever played original Zen tables into playing the Williams ones. For people who are used to those sort of things, now they have them.

Man, High Speed looks pretty impressive for that age, and it even sounds like a Rare game! Music reminds me of Battletoads..

Hot take time!

Does anyone fell that with todays update the FX3 physics are on pinball arcade level.

I could muscle memory the multiball on Medieval Madness and I had struggled with that all beta.

I don't know something felt scaredly familiar.

So this is really interesting.

Zen's new physics will be called "Pro Physics" and will be an option along with the classic physics.

I don't know if this will extend to the entire catalogue or just the Williams tables.
If the pro physics extended to the entire catalogue it would be amazing. I would definitely shell out for a bunch of the older tables.

September 19 - 24 2018

LISTED TOURNAMENT NAME: Hot Ham

TABLE: Adventure Land (Carnivals and Legends 2-Pack)

PASSWORD: showtime
(Only need to enter once)

MODE: Classic

EXTRA BALLS: No

LENGTH: 5 Days

ATTEMPTS: Unlimited

PRIZE: Glory

PLATFORMS: Switch, XBOX One, Steam
(Playstation and Mobile excluded due to cross-play limitations. Please stand by for more regarding these platforms)

Tournament is LIVE

Welcome to the fourth monthly Pinball FX3 tournament for ResetEra! Every month we will run a 1-week tournament that only our community can participate in!

We took August off but it's time to get back to business! With the advent of classic Williams/Bally tables in Pinball FX3 in October, our tournament series will focus exclusively on them for the next several months. We will start with Fish Tales in October, which will be FREE for EVERYONE! Eventually we will start incorporating Zen's original tables again, but for the next few months you can be confident that all featured tables will be from the first two Williams table packs.

Before we make the shift, we're lighting the fireworks of Adventure Land, a fantastic table from the Carnivals & Legends pack that was free for the first week of its release.

*A Note About Nintendo Online Services & Pinball FX3*
Now that NOS has launched PBFX3 has gone behind the paywall, but fear not! Zen Studios has confirmed that they've already submitted an update that will re-classify PBFX3 as F2P and therefore exclude it from requiring NOS! In the meantime, the 7 Day Free Trial for NOS will get everyone through this month's tournament (5 days). Afterwards no one will need NOS to participate!

Past Winners:
MAY: Primate Ryan
JUNE
: Psykoboy2
JULY: TSSZNews
AUGUST:
NO TOURNAMENT
SEPTEMBER: ???

All skill levels welcome! Thank you for participating and remember to just have fun!
Good luck!

For more discussion about the wonders and joys of pinball, both digital and real, please join us in theResetEra Pinball OT

I just had to send this email to Farsight support.

I recently updated to the newest version of TPA for iOS.

I own ever single table except Dr. Who Masters of Time, Buck Hunter and Whoah Nellie.

I had access to all my tables except ACDC, Star Trek and Mustang despite owning them in Stern Pinball Arcade on the same device.

I restored my purchases which prompted many Williams tables to disappear. I am now locked out of most of the tables I own that are being sold in the new table packs.

Nothing I do restores my purchases. It keeps asking me to buy or play trial.

I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on your app. I would appreciate an immediate fix.
Yeah, Zen getting the license has been great news, despite the emotional rollercoaster this year.

I just had to send this email to Farsight support.

Yeah, Zen getting the license has been great news, despite the emotional rollercoaster this year.
Man, they "fix" one thing and break five. I'd like to have pity for Farsight, I really would, but their level of ineptitude is beyond reproach. At this point I feel it's a shame they have the Stern license as well. Surely Zen could do better by that....

Of note, Zen saying they on that Q/A a week and a half ago, they have 40 people, and a few more in other ways, directly working on tables. I can't imagine Farsight ever had anything close to that, though with whatever profits they made, they should have hired adequately.

Nice work on the new tourney! I'm looking forward to being middling or subpar! :)

Man, they "fix" one thing and break five. I'd like to have pity for Farsight, I really would, but their level of ineptitude is beyond reproach. At this point I feel it's a shame they have the Stern license as well. Surely Zen could do better by that....

Of note, Zen saying they on that Q/A a week and a half ago, they have 40 people, and a few more in other ways, directly working on tables. I can't imagine Farsight ever had anything close to that, though with whatever profits they made, they should have hired adequately.

Nice work on the new tourney! I'm looking forward to being middling or subpar! :)
Farsight’s problem has always been at the management level. They stretch their staff way too thin and take on too much at once. They have terrible communication with their audience.

Hope to see you on the leaderboard soon!

Not sure what the last FX3 beta fixed but the new tables are finally running buttery smooth for me. Even though I was getting 140+ FPS I kept getting jerky, jumpy ball effects when it was around the flippers, perfect now. So I celebrated with 496mil score!

Hot take time!

Does anyone fell that with todays update the FX3 physics are on pinball arcade level.

I could muscle memory the multiball on Medieval Madness and I had struggled with that all beta.

I don't know something felt scaredly familiar.

I sure hope not, the the ball physics on Pinball Arcade are way to easy to control, with each beta release they have made the game easier and easier

You know, it's not as easy as I thought with the different perspectives. I used PAINT.NET:
Thanks for the effort.I was thinking about posting the screenshots side by side (not split in the middle), but the suggestions i tried didn't work, maybe due to the size of the screenshots.I don't think TPA has a similar perspective (at least in TATE) to the one from PFX3.

Last edited:
This was a big week in digital pinball for us, guys!

We got

3 new Zen tables
2 new Pinball Arcade tables
Lots of juicy news about Williams in PBFX3, including that Fish Tales will be free and each table will have a "remastered" version and optional physics settings

That's a lot!

I guess Switch players are the only ones that didn't get anything new to play. No Star Wars tables (two packs in a row now!) and who the hell knows when Farsight will get the console versions of BBH and WN out. They haven't even added them to Stern Pinball Arcade on Steam and mobile and that was the whole impetus for their creation!

Attack From Mars will probably be pretty sweet
Oh yeah! Agree, could replace the martians with animated one, the spaceship moving, shotting lasers, Zen have endless possibility here to make the classics tables unique with the Zen effect. I find myself enjoying it more than i though! Cant wait to see whats coming next!

I wonder if with the Twilight Zone reboot/remake announcement, Zen might try and bring the OG table to FX3?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if TZ got some kind of remake treatment from Chicago Coin (or whoever does did the MM/AFM/MB remakes). Even though I don't think there's the demand for these remakes.

I wonder if with the Twilight Zone reboot/remake announcement, Zen might try and bring the OG table to FX3?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if TZ got some kind of remake treatment from Chicago Coin (or whoever does did the MM/AFM/MB remakes). Even though I don't think there's the demand for these remakes.
In the Blahcade podcast interview with the Zen guy they discussed seceral interesting points and ideas to this end.

The “remasters” (they really need a better word. Redux maybe) of the classics can be changed visually in extensive ways as long as the original shows through and the gameplay is unaltered. They consider animated tornadoes in place of the spindisk on Whirlwind but with the same underlying physics going on.

The idea of adding an optional DMD to the alphanumeric games was discussed

The idea of a hypothetical Indiana Jones table pack that would contain the Williams original and one or several Zen original Indiana Jones tables was also suggested due to Zen’s logtime relationship with Disney.

So the idea of a Twilight Zone two pack, the Lawlor original along with a completely new Zen table based on the new series seems possible. To be honest, I got the impression that, for the immediate future, the focus is releasing these Williams unlicensed game packs.

Junk Yard (Williams, 1996)
Pinball Arcade (DX11-4K)
Pinball FX3 (4K) (First beta version)

Current beta version

Last edited:
Just dropping by to mention that the last picture (the Pinball FX3 version) isn't completely accurate. The one in the current beta has the cigar on the wrecking ball guy's mouth removed. Still curious to see how they are going to deal with the whole censorship issue in the final version of the game.

Last edited:
Just dropping by to mention that the last picture (the Pinball FX3 version) isn't completely accurate. The one on the current beta has the cigar on the wrecking ball guy's mouth removed. Still curious to see how they are going to deal with the whole censorship issue in the final version of the game.
The screenshot is from when the beta was first released.I didn't know they removed the cigar in a later patch.

Really disappointing that Zen are, not only featuring the censored/family modes of the tables (without an option to play their uncut modes), but they actually went and changed the playfields, to remove "offensive" elements that would possibly increase the rating of the game.

On Fish Tales, they apparently did the following edits:
-cigar removed from mouth of fisherman at center of playfield art
-art on sides of table head: mermaids belly is covered with scales instead of be regular human skin
https://steamcommunity.com/app/442120/discussions/0/3317353727663998942/

So much for preservation.
I really have to wonder how clueless they can be. Do they expect that the kind of gamer that will be picking up these older Williams tables would be offended by a cigar, or by an incredibly tame animation of a Dragon dying?

The screenshot is from when the beta was first released.I didn't know they removed the cigar in a later patch.
Hum... that means they probably have assets for both the classic and "family friendly" versions... The plot thickens.

If they gave us an option to change those in-game I would be a happy camper, unfortunately I don't think that can circumvent the ESRB age rating issue.

It's a rating issue, I don't think they want the MA rating or whatever comes with drug and alcohol use, or it's an issue of they can't release the tables at all because their current rating isn't sufficient for them.

It is kinda funny to think a pinball game needs to be censored when you have way, way, way more violent and adult-content games being sold to and played by young kids without most parents batting an eye, but pinball gets censored. Hopefully when they have time they can figure it out better, because it is strange.

On Fish Tales, they apparently did the following edits:
-cigar removed from mouth of fisherman at center of playfield art
-art on sides of table head: mermaids belly is covered with scales instead of be regular human skin
https://steamcommunity.com/app/442120/discussions/0/3317353727663998942/
That one really is a headscratcher. I would love to know what led to that decision, apparently Ariel is now considered too lewd for this politically correct age of ours.

Kingdom Hearts, you are next.

That one really is a headscratcher. I would love to know what led to that decision, apparently Ariel is now considered too lewd for this politically correct age of ours.

It's times like these I feel old... ;)

Kids see a popular music video, and most of the times there's strippers shaking their asses everywhere, or the pop singer flavour of the month almost naked, everywhere you look there's a Kardashian showing skin, be it on TV, websites, magazines, whatever, and they actually thought the mermaid in Fish Tales is problematic, and lewd?

I will be seriously pissed off if Zen doesn't give us an option to play the tables as they were originally.

Last edited:
HotHamBoy
I was going check the tournament, to play a match or two, but on Steam, I don't see it on the list of active tournaments.
Do I have to do anything else? I never entered a tournament on Pinball FX3 (I barely played the game), maybe I'm missing a step?

thanks

HotHamBoy
I was going check the tournament, to play a match or two, but on Steam, I don't see it on the list of active tournaments.
Do I have to do anything else? I never entered a tournament on Pinball FX3 (I barely played the game), maybe I'm missing a step?

thanks
I found the tournament with these search filters: Tables-Owned Tables, Rule-Classic.

Yeah, I'm usually not a die-hard purist or prude, but right now I don't have any major incentive yet to ditch my Farsight tables for Zen. Still interested in seeing how this plays out, though.

If there isn't an uncensored option for table and DMD art (I'm not talking about lewd voice samples et al that were't part of the standard ROM operating at standard settings) I'm boycotting 100%. Dead serious. I've got all the TPA tables on Steam and I'll get by with that.

Concerned about the censorship?

https://medium.com/blahcade-pinball...-studios-interview-with-mel-kirk-255c330f3caf
  • 29:30 — ESRB Ratings, and why it’s not as easy as you think.

I think they are trying to get ahead of every possible issue the ESRB could raise to change the game's rating

Concerned about the censorship?

https://medium.com/blahcade-pinball...-studios-interview-with-mel-kirk-255c330f3caf
  • 29:30 — ESRB Ratings, and why it’s not as easy as you think.

I think they are trying to get ahead of every possible issue the ESRB could raise to change the game's rating
Its a good think they are working on solutions for this. They dont want to screw their license with Disney and at the same time make WMS fans happy.

Asked them in their forums, if they considered about making WMS censored tables in their FX3 game, and maybe create a new games like FX Williams Pinball, rated M, where we could play uncensored one, but wishing it could be cross buy between both app and leaderboard, tournament could be linked.

I personnaly wouldnt mind if it can make everyone happy, two separate app, one where they keep their E rating, if in the end they cant find a solution that can please everybody.

Its a good think they are working on solutions for this. They dont want to screw their license with Disney and at the same time make WMS fans happy.

Asked them in their forums, if they considered about making WMS censored tables in their FX3 game, and maybe create a new games like FX Williams Pinball, rated M, where we could play uncensored one, but wishing it could be cross buy between both app and leaderboard, tournament could be linked.

I personnaly wouldnt mind if it can make everyone happy, two separate app, one where they keep their E rating, if in the end they cant find a solution that can please everybody.
I think people take for granted that companies don’t self censor without reason, especially when handling other people’s properties.

Shit is way more complex than any of us armchair critics realize. Let’s put down the pitch forks and torches for now and see how it plays out.

For me this is like the Pinball Arcade World Cup Soccer > World Champion Soccer makeover, or the alteration of Uncle Fester in Addams Family. Yeah, it sucks but it’s better than nothing. If this is the way it has to be for us to get these tables on these platforms then so be it. I just want to play the games.