The Switch/Nintendo really needs an achievement/trophy system

I know it is cool to come in here and act like trophies are a thing of the past and how you don't care about them, but obviously a lot of people like them and it isn't like it is a hard thing to add.
I agree - achievements would be a nice side thing for those who enjoy them. That's still a far cry from saying Nintendo "really needs" achievements, though. They don't.

If Nintendo added it I would give up gaming. I play for fun not for epenis points. If i even know there is an achievement system in a game I avoid it all costs. Just even an option of hiding it isn't good enough. If i know it exists no buy from me.

If Nintendo added it I would give up gaming. I play for fun not for epenis points. If i even know there is an achievement system in a game I avoid it all costs. Just even an option of hiding it isn't good enough. If i know it exists no buy from me.
I was waiting for the epenis comment, because there is no other possible reason for people to collect trophies in their games. I would also say that you would fall into a smaller marketing demographic than those that would buy Nintendo games more often if they had a trophy/achievement system.

I'd rather Nintendo spend their effort on making their games inherently fun to plan instead of using imaginary points to entice people to slog through bad games. It's embarrassing how some people will put up with shoddy gameplay just to get a digital goodie at the end.
Theres nothing that says that these added challenges must take away from the game itself. Why do Nintendo add 100% completion rate to some of their games? Did Nintendo make a mistake by adding in-game trophies in Smash? Wouldnt the game be even more fun if they just scraped that and focused on making the game more fun instead? Or Zelda, why did they add the possibility to collect 900 seeds? If they scrapped that, would they had made the game even more to fun to play?

I'm no game designer, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that most games are not made with trophies in mind. These things are rather added on as an extra layer later on. Someone even made an achievement system for older games using emulator.

Can you give some examples? Because I’ve been looking through more trophy lists from recent big games and all I’m seeing are trophies related to story progression and normal things you’d be doing to fully complete a game. I haven’t seen a single one that looks like some sort of interesting challenge.
Find all secrets, beat the game on the hardest difficulty level, beat a certain track/level within a certain time limit, do different things that give different outcomes (games with multiple choices), stuff like that. Having a system that keeps track of this can make it more intestive for people to do these things.

I do enjoy trophy hunting for some games on my PS4 games, but I like to keep my Switch trophy free. It's kind of annoying when I feel like I played a game to death and see I only got 51% completion. Keep my Switch trophy free please.

right there with you brother us gamers should rise up against this

rise up!

I think you both are underestimating the value of them plus it's not like there's anything wrong with them and they would just be a nice added feature.

I disagree, Some of them are definitely aimed at getting players to do different stuff that they may have not done.
Maybe it is you that is overestimating the value of it

This thread always come up and I have to disagree.

You don't get anything for getting then all so it is fake padding of a game.

In game milestones are good enough because they often unlock stuff.

I doubt mant people compare their trophies at all. I've never seen that. Getting a plat an braggin sure but that also adds nothing.

I wish gamers would ask for better stuff. Like add cheats or unlockables like in the older gens. But begging for empty padding seems like not something I would support.

I do platinun ganes but only if it is like Spidey and feels natural to the progression. I platinuned the game as I beat the last boss and that's ok. Other games are just insane and stupid.

Even after that OP, I would back you up but ONLY if you want a system that rewards players for getting them.

Do it like they do in Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus Uprising. Have a grid where you can't see the achievements until you've started to clear more, revealing adjacent achievements to what you just unlocked. And if you want to go the extra mile, allow devs to put gold coins as a reward.

There's a difference between "this is needed" and "this is something I want."

I don't NEED a Rolex watch.
I would agree that the Switch doesn't technically need a trophy/achievement system, they are likely losing sales from certain muli-platform titles because of it. As the OP says, they are now more likely to get the game on a different system because of the lack of trophies.

I agree that they don't "need" it, but it would only help if they did.

Disgaea 5 added in their own implementation of achievements. The fact that like 99% of Switch games don't bother shows how little developers care about them.

Odyssey already has leaderboards and that's a platforming game. You can easily scroll to your current ranking and see who's above you so there's that :P

I believe it also shows your friends rankings.
Sure, but i mean specific things like time trials and high scores. Super Mario Odyssey have time trials leaderboards, right? It doesnt have a leaderboard for how many that collected all 999 moons or something like that, from what i know.

Yeah, games with leaderboards usually allow you to filter things, like only showing your friends score. I like leaderboards, so i'm not dissing it :) I just mean that its two different things. And having both (that many games have) is the best of two worlds. They dont really need to make a choice between leaderboards and achievements.

I honestly would buy more games on the platform if they had a universal system and had public profiles. I enjoy a record of what I play and achievements do this. I hate their current nurfed activity log as well. Getting a real one like the 3DS I could overlook something like an achievement system.

If Nintendo did it smartly.. put a Nintendo spin on it but kept the basic function I think many people who say they dont care could be pulled into at least enjoying generally hunting for them.

I don't give two solitary shits about trophies but yah, just add the SDK hooks and do the minimal OS development work needed to support this, why the fuck not. I bet it's at some low level of priority for them and has to do with their tepid interest in providing anything that requires an online backend.

I like having one system without trophies. That way if I feel like I’ll be interested in getting the trophies/achievements in a multi platform game I can play on PS4/PC, but if it’s a game I want to play for fun and think I probably won’t be terribly interested in achievements then I get it on Switch. My Dead Cells experience was way better without trophies because I wasn’t worried about meta trophy collecting and instead focused on how I wanted to play the game.

Why is there a large argument against them based on it being an ego thing or a competition with others?
Because the people who advocate the loudest for them keep framing it as an essential component of gaming ("Nintendo NEEDS achievements!"). When, in reality, it's a glorified Pavlovian response ("Do these stunts and get a kibble!").

Theres nothing that says that these added challenges must take away from the game itself.
I agree that they don't; it's the framing of the issue as a necessity that I take issue with.

And lest I be accused of hypocrisy, I will admit that I've clocked nearly 100 hours in Fortnite as it is and completed a good number of the challenges in that game. Thing is, I am not actively looking to complete those challenges, and got them just in the course of regular playing ("Hrm, apparently I just 'Eliminate opponents in 5 different named areas'. Whatever."). If they're there, they're there, but the idea that a platform or a game needs achievements is right down there with "Everyone needs a 4K HD teevee" in my book.

I wouldn’t mind a system that gives you a badge when you finish a game, but I don’t want trophies for 100% completion. It made me game in an unhealthy way and is one of the reasons I’ve put my PS4 in the loft.

I used to love Achievements when I played on Microsoft's ecosystem. I love Trophies now that I play on Sony's.

I don't need them on Nintendo's, to be honest.

Always thought they might do a stamp system in place of achievements or the like. It'd be rather Nintendoish thing to do. Not doing anything is also very Nintendoish to do.

Because the people who advocate the loudest for them keep framing it as an essential component of gaming ("Nintendo NEEDS achievements!"). When, in reality, it's a glorified Pavlovian response ("Do these stunts and get a kibble!"
So having extra challenges in games, which are challanges in themselves, is a negative thing? Got it.

8-16 bit gamer here and trophies/achievements have never seemed like anything other completely superfluous, unnecessary cruft to me.

I think how important you consider these things is definitely a big, telling generational divide in gaming.

I couldn't care less about achievements honestly
Same here. Still don't have a platinum still never completed gotten all the achievements with am xbox game. Somehow I've managed. Someone up there still loves me.

Add them for peeps who need goals for funsies or bragging rights I guess.

I wish it was there for the people who wanted them, but personally I find achievements detract from the game experience. It takes me out of the game, makes it feel less immersive when this out of game thing pops up to tell me I did some predetermined arbitrary goal.

Last edited:
Fuck no they don't.
Why not ask for ads in the OS menu while we're at it.
Because adds don't provide any benefit to the player. Achievements do to those who want them.

Honestly they could have helped make BotW a little less boring. Give you a clue as some clever little thing you could do and see if you can figure it out. Hell...those could have been better puzzles than most of the actual ones that were in the game!

Achievements are so 2000s.
Most games are about goals, challenges, scores, etc. Just because you don't like a certain type doesn't mean they're old. Even Nintendo adds its own achievement systems in certain games.

People just want a system wide tracker, I'd be happy if my playtime could get associated with my Nintendo ID. I like achievements/trophies as almost a journal I've what I've played and when.

Yeah, I agree. I want them added.

I didn't see the point of them til I started messing with retroachievements on retroarch, playing through something like Castlevania 1 where it had achievements like 'Clear stage 1-4 without losing a life', I saw that and went "Hey, I can do that." And this is a game I've played literally hundreds of times and I think I've done that before but I never thought about it and it spurred me to do the challenge. Achievements that make challenges like that in old games are really cool imo, in some cases I think they even show you a new way to enjoy an old game.

Probably all really old news but only discovered it recently and yeah I'm down with achievements.

8-16 bit gamer here and trophies/achievements have never seemed like anything other completely superfluous, unnecessary cruft to me.

I think how important you consider these things is definitely a big, telling generational divide in gaming.
I grew up gaming on 8 bit micros and I like achievements.

If Switch games had achievements I would play them a lot more, it would incentivise me to 100% Mario Odyssey.

Because adds don't provide any benefit to the player. Achievements do to those who want them.

Honestly they could have helped make BotW a little less boring. Give you a clue as some clever little thing you could do and see if you can figure it out. Hell...those could have been better puzzles than most of the actual ones that were in the game!
Ads provide a "great" way to tell customers what is coming next and if you don't care about your privacy, they can be tailored to feed you exactly what you would want! Heck who are you to decide that there isn't someone who would want them directly in the OS!

BotW already made a statement regarding completionism, did they really need to add another statement with the name of the platinium trophy to go along with it?

While we're at Nintendo following other publishers' trend, how about microtransaction in Mario Odyssey? You could buy outfits with real money instead of just using ingame currency!