The Switch/Nintendo really needs an achievement/trophy system

I like achievements, but I don't need them in every single platform I have. I would rather have something different. Maybe a sticker book similar to the miiverse idea, but if you could collect, visualize and use them all in a single interface, outside of the games.

No thanks. Achievements/trophies are basically useless to me, and I don't like having pop-ups constantly when playing to tell me that I completed some thing.

No, it’s a easy way for devs to add artificial length to a game. It’s also used for people that need to get 100% trophies just to have “fun” with the game

I like achievements, but I don't need them in every single platform I have. I would rather have something different. Maybe a sticker book similar to the miiverse idea, but if you could collect, visualize and use them all in a single interface, outside of the games.
Stamps were a good idea for miiverse...except that you couldn't use them with screenshots or to reply to some other message.
Basically useless outside of the very narrow scope they were made for, you can also forget using them outside of the game that featured them.

Sure, but i mean specific things like time trials and high scores. Super Mario Odyssey have time trials leaderboards, right? It doesnt have a leaderboard for how many that collected all 999 moons or something like that, from what i know.

Yeah, games with leaderboards usually allow you to filter things, like only showing your friends score. I like leaderboards, so i'm not dissing it :) I just mean that its two different things. And having both (that many games have) is the best of two worlds. They dont really need to make a choice between leaderboards and achievements.
Sure, I can agree with that. I still prefer leaderboards :)

I wish it was there for the people who wanted them, but personally I find achievements detract from the game experience. It takes me out of the game, makes it feel less immersive when this out of game thing pops up to tell me I did some predetermined arbotrary goal.
Worst is when the developers reference some meme trying to be clever. It's not.

There's no issue on the platform if it has or not an achievement. Switch is reaching 20 million without it much like 3DS did.

It's a option after all, which I doubt will be added considering the opinion of developers from Nintendo and staff alike with past declarations on it.

theres like hundreds of games already released for switch, they aren't going to add it late, too much confusion

i wish it had achivements too =/
There were hundreds of games released for the PS3 when they implemented their system. A whole two years after it launched.

Also @ everyone saying "they are worthless" yeah and so is every other accomplishment you can do in video games. Worth its relative. And personally I like some kind of system in. Im more prone to get games on my PS4 over switch and trophies are one reason why.

Ads provide a "great" way to tell customers what is coming next and if you don't care about your privacy, they can be tailored to feed you exactly what you would want! Heck who are you to decide that there isn't someone who would want them directly in the OS!

BotW already made a statement regarding completionism, did they really need to add another statement with the name of the platinium trophy to go along with it?

While we're at Nintendo following other publishers' trend, how about microtransaction in Mario Odyssey? You could buy outfits with real money instead of just using ingame currency!
Don't worry, Nintendo's already one of the worst companies when it comes to nickel and diming their customers. They caught up really fast when it came to that.

Zelda made no statement. They added like 900 shitty ubisoft collectibles into their games for no other reason because if they didn't the game would have no content in its open world outside of shrines. You don't get to claim you pulled off some hip statement against something after literally doing it before your statement. It would have been bad design to make an achievement for getting all of those pointless things anyway and they wouldn't have had to do that. They could make their list full of creative stuff if they wanted to.

Nintendo is so far behind with their ecosystem, that seemingly changes direction every few years, they might as well not even bother. Amazing that we are still asking for/talking about such a basic feature in 2018.
Such a basic feature that they don't want to implement which is their option, not an obligation. And their sales on their systems shows that the public don't see it as something needed.

I love hunting / grinding for achievements and I miss them a lot since I switched from xbox to switch. I know some people dislike them but it doesn't sound that hard to just offer an option to deactivate or hide them.
That would make both sides happy.
Right now though only the people who hate achievements are happy and I am very unhappy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Nintendo added it I would give up gaming. I play for fun not for epenis points. If i even know there is an achievement system in a game I avoid it all costs. Just even an option of hiding it isn't good enough. If i know it exists no buy from me.
I really have trouble understanding how you can loathe something completely optional so much.

This is like the 1000th thread about this matter on the internet, we'll continue to make those discussions and it'll not change that Nintendo isn't going to implement this on their consoles because they don't see it in that way. Much like their public don't see it like that either. It's fruitless to discuss it because nothing will change so eh.

I get $10 PSN money for every 10 plats I get. I wasn't much of a trophy hunter, but it definitely extends my gameplay time with games and I'd more likely buy a game on PS4 over Switch for this reason. I think it could benefit some Switch players if they had a system in place.

I really have trouble understanding how you can loathe something completely optional so much.
It's weird. Achievement/trophy threads here always have people crawling out of the woodwork to let everyone know how much they hate the feature and want it to stop existing.

I love achievement systems. Lots of people do. It'd be something nice for them if the Switch had it, but it's really not going to get in the way of anybody who doesn't. Being against this makes as much sense to me as actively trying to stop Nintendo from adding new Switch themes.

I'm guessing that post you quoted was a joke, though. I refuse to believe anybody's actually that crazy.

Achievements have never added to a game for me but they have annoyed me in some games “Screw our current objectives I need the Lucio achievement.”

Pass.

Yup it's easily one of the bigger flaws on the system's OS. It's something that is standard in just about everything including PC and even mobile games. Only nintendo is left behind....once again.
Nintendo isn't left behind, they simply don't want to adopt it. It's an optional thing on any console and their public simply don't care about it except for this minority on internet.

If I know Nintendo like I think I know Nintendo, they'd rather you play and enjoy their games the way they designed them, rather than chase an afterthought checklist of arbitrary tasks to bolster your global ranking.

I mean I don't even mind Trophies, I even enjoy comparing mine with friends' lists, but I can see why a company that prides itself on quality gameplay/meticulous design standards above all else isn't in a hurry to shift the player's priorities to something less substantial.

Last edited:
Don't worry, Nintendo's already one of the worst companies when it comes to nickel and diming their customers. They caught up really fast when it came to that.
So adding another manipulative system into their platform is supposed to be good?

Zelda made no statement. They added like 900 shitty ubisoft collectibles into their games for no other reason because if they didn't the game would have no content in its open world outside of shrines. You don't get to claim you pulled off some hip statement against something after literally doing it before your statement. It would have been bad design to make an achievement for getting all of those pointless things anyway and they wouldn't have had to do that. They could make their list full of creative stuff if they wanted to.
Zelda made a statement.
There's shit everywhere to find and enough of them so that the exploration feels rewarding, however it's entirely pointless to get them all and the game pretty much makes that statement.
Having 900 of them was worthwhile to spur the player's curiosity and rewarding the player with the all important gear slots.
The 120 shrines are literally the heart pieces you hunt in Zelda games since aLttP in the 90s, they're neither better nor worse than that.
You couldn't even tell a Korok seed was anywhere at all without the DLC mask anyway so it's not like they weren't unaware to the pointless nature of getting them all.
It's not even the 1st time they're making this particular point even.
OoT had 100 Golden spiders that were entirely pointless to get after the #50, TP did the same with the hidden poes.
The game didn't need achievements like Mario Odyssey's ridiculous padding and would have been a worse game had they feature them.

Achievements have never added to a game for me but they have annoyed me in some games “Screw our current objectives I need the Lucio achievement.”
If Overwatch came to Nintendo Switch, that Lucio achievement would still be there. It's for an ingame unlockable.

Luulubuu

Community Resettler
By far, the most annoying thing in DQXI is unlocking not only an achievement but also an ingame badge that fills a chunk of the screen with the most bland ideas you can think of

I'm good without them

I feel like most people don’t care anymore. It was a fun novelty at the start of last gen that seems to have more or less stuck on subsequent platforms because there wouldn’t really be a graceful way of phasing them out.

I agree that they don't; it's the framing of the issue as a necessity that I take issue with.

And lest I be accused of hypocrisy, I will admit that I've clocked nearly 100 hours in Fortnite as it is and completed a good number of the challenges in that game. Thing is, I am not actively looking to complete those challenges, and got them just in the course of regular playing ("Hrm, apparently I just 'Eliminate opponents in 5 different named areas'. Whatever."). If they're there, they're there, but the idea that a platform or a game needs achievements is right down there with "Everyone needs a 4K HD teevee" in my book.
Sure, thats enough :) I dont think the OP is saying that they aboslutely need to be there in that regards, but rather that they need to be there to make the games even more fun. Its a subective thing in the end.

I wish it was there for the people who wanted them, but personally I find achievements detract from the game experience. It takes me out of the game, makes it feel less immersive when this out of game thing pops up to tell me I did some predetermined arbotrary goal.
You can turn trophy notification off, so theres already a solution for that. No need to remove the whole trophy system to solve that problem, generally speaking.

Sure, I can agree with that. I still prefer leaderboards :)
Fair enough :)

Last edited:
I think Nintendo could have come up with a really fun system, making it their own, and it's a shame they didn't. I dn't really care for them but it would have been some good added value.

I would rather have a better and more robust Activity Log than achievements. I haven’t cared about those in years.

Side note, I was floored the other day when a friend of mine told me he found Splatoon’s gameplay fun but won’t play multiplayer focused games unless they have achievements because “there is no point.” Isn’t the point to have fun..?

This is like the 1000th thread about this matter on the internet, we'll continue to make those discussions and it'll not change that Nintendo isn't going to implement this on their consoles because they don't see it in that way. Much like their public don't see it like that either. It's fruitless to discuss it because nothing will change so eh.
Who made you the public speaker for Nintendo? If you don’t like to discuss it then don’t get involved perhaps? This could be the 1000th thread and there will possibly be another 1000 regarding the matter.

Nintendo isn't left behind, they simply don't want to adopt it. It's an optional thing on any console and their public simply don't care about it except for this minority on internet.
Yeah the same way the so called “public” don’t care about cloud saves or even having the ability to save locally. In addition to this, the fact that it doesn’t even have basic online communication and functionality in 2018 is bizarre. I guess this “public” have very low expectations and standards.

Last edited:
I did. If you're bothered by what I said, don't read then?
I’m not bothered at all. You said yourself it’s apparently “fruitless” yet you go and downplay this (and anything Nintendo related) in every single thread. Threads like are good for discussion and if there are thousands of threads on this matter then I guess the “public” do actually care about this.

Maybe it is you that is overestimating the value of it
Nope it's more common than you seem to have any clue of.
Most games are about goals, challenges, scores, etc. Just because you don't like a certain type doesn't mean they're old. Even Nintendo adds its own achievement systems in certain games.

People just want a system wide tracker, I'd be happy if my playtime could get associated with my Nintendo ID. I like achievements/trophies as almost a journal I've what I've played and when.
Agreed. I'd like a journal type system. Both would be great for the switch to add.

The Switch definitely needs it, I love the Switch but honestly I play it a lot less than I would if it had some sort of achievement system.

I'm not against Nintendo adding them, particularly if they were tied to unlocking stuff (like stamps on the Wii U).

I've never bought a game on a specific platform based on an achievement system though. At that point, I think you've lost the plot. You're no longer playing a game to play it. You're playing to fill up progress bars. Every now and then there's an achievement/trophy that encourages players to try new things, sure. But for the most part I believe they've been used mostly as a replacement for extra content, unlocks, cheats, etc.

Yeah, I can't believe they still didn't implement a system wide one (and it is still possible as the PS3 didn't have trophies on launch).

It just sucks for me because for a lot of single player games on it now I just end up thinking why bother playing since it won't have trophies/achievements/stars/whatever to mark what I did on the system and when the first time it was.

Like they copied off the stupid online multiplayer paywall but they still slow as in copying this which annoys me.

Also I'm saying all this without ever having obtained a platinum or all achievements on an xbox game. I just like having a sort of system wide diary entry thing of when I first did something .

8-16 bit gamer here and trophies/achievements have never seemed like anything other completely superfluous, unnecessary cruft to me.

I think how important you consider these things is definitely a big, telling generational divide in gaming.
Ive played games since the nes and there are nothing wrong with them, heck I think they are a great bonus for games. I still haven't seen a good defense by people saying they shouldnt be on the switch.

Nintendo is left behind and in the past for a treat many things. This is just one part of baffling decisions they make even if they do make some good decisions.

I think achievements/trophies are some of the dumbest "innovations" in gaming history.

Only useful for grindy gamers and gamers that want to "impress" others with their ability to spend much time on these things. They are annoying for gamers that just want to play a good game.

Not even a minute of development time/money should be spend on such superfluous things.

I feel like in the future, 'achievements' will be looked back on as being a real low point of video games, where the aim was to squeeze every single moment of time consumption out of the game rather than just letting the game being enjoyable on its own terms.

I feel like in the future, 'achievements' will be looked back on as being a real low point of video games, where the aim was to squeeze every single moment of time consumption out of the game rather than just letting the game being enjoyable on its own terms.
With this logic what was the high point? Where gamers chased a high scores in games designed around milking as many quarters as possible? Or maybe it was when game developers tried to design games in a way to prevent people from finishing them during a rental? Worrying about people enjoying a game for its own merits means games shouldn't have coins, collectibles, etc.

I used to care so much about achievements/trophies but honestly they're pretty pointless. Nobody I know is looking at my gamerscore anymore, not even me.
Might just be your social circle but there are entire websites/communities around tracking trophies, achievements, and even Steam/Blizzard achievements.

I didn’t think I cared but playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 i keep missing the little endorphin hits I would get from trophies if playing on PS4

I've all but stopped playing games on my Switch for various reasons, instead playing a lot on older Playstations (PS3 & Vita). Trophies give me an additional incentive to continue playing a game even at points where I would move on to something else, not because I wasn't enjoying myself but because of my attention disorder (not a diagnosis, it's just something I've noticed about myself). Plus the trophy collecting is in itself a nice meta game.

I gotta say if they introduced a system at least as good as this, and it's a pretty barebones one, I'd have a pretty good reason to start playing the Switch more again.

It's nice to have options. If peoole don't want them they can just turn them off.
Nintendo would have to come up with something unique though.

You can turn trophy notification off, so theres already a solution for that. No need to remove the whole trophy system to solve that problem, generally speaking.
Yeah, and I do that but;

1. I don't trust Nintendo to include such an option if they were to ever implement their version of achievements
2. It's still listed somewhere, and then I can't help but see "10/25 achievements" when navigating menus, and it just gives the completionist part of me a slap in the face. Makes it feel like anything less than 100% all achievement collection is somehow not sufficient. I haven't 100%'d this game unless I visited the in-game store on christmas, or found this random easter egg etc. It just bugs me as a concept. I wish there was a way to completely disable achievements for a given account on everything. would rather have 0 achievements than "some"

theres like hundreds of games already released for switch, they aren't going to add it late, too much confusion

i wish it had achivements too =/
Worked fine for the PS3, even if it was a little annoying some games didn't have them. Holding off until the next console would be ludicrous.

Trophies ruin MP games. Can't even count how many Battlefield matches I lost because my team was trying to get kills with a new gadget that's not meant to be used for kills.

Achievements/Trophies would be a nice to have but I don't need them. I think the Switch is already on very solid footing so I suspect this isn't something high on Nintendo's list of things to do, if it's even on their list at all to be honest.

As any Nintendo fan will tell you, Nintendo absolutely doesn't need trophies/achievements and are doing great without them. Until Nintendo does implement a trophy/achievement system, at which time they will become the most important and engaging element of a game system but only when done as perfectly as Nintendo does it. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Personally I wonder how much $$ they lose to other companies by not incorporating achievements. I love the Switch and would buy everything for it if it had an achievement system, but since it doesn't I buy most multiplats on the PS4.

I'm not the only one, I know a few others who do this as well.