The Switch/Nintendo really needs an achievement/trophy system

I used to care about trophies/achievements during their heyday last gen.

This gen I’ve ignored them entirely, and I feel like I’m able to enjoy games more without constantly checking my trophy list to see what else I need.

So no, I don’t think they’re necessary. But that’s me.

I remember a indie dev saying Nintendo is working on their own achievement system so they probably are working on one and it might launch soon now that they have a subscription system. I juat hope that they do their own thing and integrate it with some kind of game or something just like they did with streetpasses on the 3DS.

Not sure if someone pointed it out , but the Switch version of Mega Man 11 has all the trophies/achievements to chase. They even pop up at the bottom of the screen when you do one. I know the op probably wants them displayed on a site or something to show off to people but if they really wanted to they can screen shot their stuff and do so on any social media they desire. The things to chase are there for people. If you don't want to do them on Switch just because you think nobody will see it, well guess what nobodies looking at your trophy/achievement list either.

There ya go op. Get the Switch version and complete your list. It's under Records in the Extras Menu.

Last edited:
I hate what achievements after done for gaming by making people crave that little digital pat on the back... but damn I like my back patted sometimes. I am hardly an achievement/Trophy whore but sometimes having them helps push me to do things I wouldn't have bothered with previously.
If Nintendo was to implement something similar I hope they do it in a truly Nintendo fashion that sets it apart.
Also I fall in the Trophies are better than Achievements camp... if anybody cares lol

Yes, the excitement of beating my first Hinox is BotW just wasn't complete without a 'ding' sound and a text pop-up which read "The Bigger they are..." Nintendo is really missing out on a huge market :/

Zero interest personally but if some people want them I have no issue with it. Just give the option to turn off the notifications.. (I'm looking at you, Steam)

Lacking achievements is actually a positive feature of Nintendo systems for me. I don't want that kind of thinking to permeate game design decisions on any level whatsoever.

And knowing Nintendo, they would probably implement trophies in some shoddy manner that manages to upset everyone.

I really dislike achievements as they exist on other systems. If they were used to accumulate some points to purchase cosmetics or themes, I'd be all about them. But that'll never happen as it very plainly cuts into potential revenue.

If they decided to implement them, I'd just turn them off. No biggie. That said I think "need" is a strong word.

I figure if they're on other platforms you should get the same sorta award on Switch. I never really pay attention to them, but it's nice to get some sort of points. Would be cool if they could be used for themes or something.

Sometimes it’s just nice to have small goals in the game and just because some people don’t care about trophy’s or achievements shouldn’t stop nintendo.

I got my first platinum ever in Spider-Man and only reason I went through all the missions and collectibles was because of trophy’s lol.

Not sure if someone pointed it out , but the Switch version of Mega Man 11 has all the trophies/achievements to chase. They even pop up at the bottom of the screen when you do one. I know the op probably wants them displayed on a site or something to show off to people but if they really wanted to they can screen shot their stuff and do so on any social media they desire. The things to chase are there for people. If you don't want to do them on Switch just because you think nobody will see it, well guess what nobodies looking at your trophy/achievement list either.

There ya go op. Get the Switch version and complete your list. It's under Records in the Extras Menu.
I talked about it in the original post, but quite a few Switch games have their own individual achievements built into the game, like this. Like I said, it's ok compared to having nothing at all, but the fact that its only for those individual games, no one else can see the progress you've made, and there's no way to compare or see what other people have done makes it very shallow compared to a centralized system like Sony and Microsoft have with their consoles.

To me, for trophies/achievements to be viable or worth doing for Switch games, there needs to be a system build in that complies everything like Xbox or Playstation. Just having them for some individual games (and then, not even all of them) just isn't the same thing.

As any Nintendo fan will tell you, Nintendo absolutely doesn't need trophies/achievements and are doing great without them. Until Nintendo does implement a trophy/achievement system, at which time they will become the most important and engaging element of a game system but only when done as perfectly as Nintendo does it. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Legit laughed out loud when I read this and got some stink eye from other people in the cafe, thanks jerk.

I talked about it in the original post, but quite a few Switch games have their own individual achievements built into the game, like this. Like I said, it's ok compared to having nothing at all, but the fact that its only for those individual games, no one else can see the progress you've made, and there's no way to compare or see what other people have done makes it very shallow compared to a centralized system like Sony and Microsoft have with their consoles.

To me, for trophies/achievements to be viable or worth doing for Switch games, there needs to be a system build in that complies everything like Xbox or Playstation. Just having them for some individual games (and then, not even all of them) just isn't the same thing.
At least there's the replay value for you when a game includes them like the mega man games have been doing. But what's more important for Nintendo to do with them in your opinion ? Having that percentage of how many people completed a trophy ? Or the aggregated score of all your games added up? Obviously in a perfect world you'd get both, but I'm just curious if it's the entire ecosystem you desire or if it's more of one over the other. I personally have never understood those that like achievements. I like the idea of them and when they first started on the 360 I was into it. But over time they became a lot less meaningful as more games handed them out like candy. I prefer having a similar 3ds inspired play log like a lot of people have mentioned. To me that at least shows your history for memories sake.

As any Nintendo fan will tell you, Nintendo absolutely doesn't need trophies/achievements and are doing great without them. Until Nintendo does implement a trophy/achievement system, at which time they will become the most important and engaging element of a game system but only when done as perfectly as Nintendo does it. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Lol

I actually turned them notification off because it kept popping up at unfortunate times and ruined the many moments in Yakuza and Spider-Man, meh

I don't personally care for achievements, but I can appreciate others wanting this system in their games.

I remember reading somewhere else where developers complained about how assuring their games have these 'achievements' systems would delay their development process.
Apparently, it isn't that easy to just bake this into the game.

I wonder how many games, especially simple ports from previous generations, aren't pushed out because they can't publish games without this requirement.
If this is so, I hope Nintendo stays away from this.

I'm fine without having achievements on the Switch and I'd rather have Nintendo work on basic online infrastructure and especially games themselves than adding some gimmick. If they have a solid infrastructural foundation for online gaming by Switch 2 / whatever is next, then they can start adding additional stuff. Though I'm personally not a fan of achievements and trophy hunting, so I'd not be devastated if Nintendo never bothered with that.

I’m indifferent, they don’t really do a lot for me. If I want to feel like I’ve done everything there is I just go for the 100%

I always envisioned achievements being something more than just beating a level or doing some redundant activity X amount of times.

It would be cool if they unlocked things like avatar clothes, miis, backgrounds, themes etc.

I like achievents and have not bought games on Nintendo systems specifically because they didn’t have them. There is literally no downside to having (but not mandating), but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Personally never cared for achievement unless I get something in-game for them. Like in Xenoblade, some skills can only be opened by falling 5,000 ft or something. Other than that, I almost never even looked at the in-game achievements.

That said, I don't mind people wanting achievements, but Nintendo doesn't need them.

I would probably turn off notifications for them, but my one and only wish for Nintendo achievements if implemented is that they would be called "Badges."

At least there's the replay value for you when a game includes them like the mega man games have been doing. But what's more important for Nintendo to do with them in your opinion ? Having that percentage of how many people completed a trophy ? Or the aggregated score of all your games added up? Obviously in a perfect world you'd get both, but I'm just curious if it's the entire ecosystem you desire or if it's more of one over the other. I personally have never understood those that like achievements. I like the idea of them and when they first started on the 360 I was into it. But over time they became a lot less meaningful as more games handed them out like candy. I prefer having a similar 3ds inspired play log like a lot of people have mentioned. To me that at least shows your history for memories sake.
For me, having the ability to see everything aggregated together would probably be more important, although seeing friends and other peoples progress is just as important when it comes to having a system for this. I also like the idea for a play log, and while I never used it on 3DS much, I can appreciate why others might be more interested in having this as opposed to achievements.

Honestly, I say that they should just add them both, especially the log since they already have a system in place with 3DS that they could just emulate for Switch. Also, like someone else mentioned earlier, intergrating coins into an achievement system would be a great way to incentivize people into being active about wanting to get achievements, and draw in people who normally don't care about achievements (Like some people here), since everyone likes getting free stuff. The only problem with that would be the potential for abuse/hacking achievements to get more coins/free stuff that would possibly arise with that, as well as the fact that an idea like that is probably way too forward thinking for Nintendo to approach any time soon. Any step towards either an activity log or achievement system would be a step in the right direction though.

I like achievents and have not bought games on Nintendo systems specifically because they didn’t have them. There is literally no downside to having (but not mandating), but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
I can see adding achievements to BotW would have a lot of downsides, since it would basically change the whole game. It would steer players to do or discover specific things, rather than to allow the player to create their own adventure. Even if it's optional, just having the achievement there is a statement from the developers on what's "important" in the game.

Yes, the excitement of beating my first Hinox is BotW just wasn't complete without a 'ding' sound and a text pop-up which read "The Bigger they are..." Nintendo is really missing out on a huge market :/
I don't understand this generation.

Many games have literal in-game achievements. ARMS? Freaking Smash.

For me, having the ability to see everything aggregated together would probably be more important, although seeing friends and other peoples progress is just as important when it comes to having a system for this. I also like the idea for a play log, and while I never used it on 3DS much, I can appreciate why others might be more interested in having this as opposed to achievements.

Honestly, I say that they should just add them both, especially the log since they already have a system in place with 3DS that they could just emulate for Switch. Also, like someone else mentioned earlier, intergrating coins into an achievement system would be a great way to incentivize people into being active about wanting to get achievements, and draw in people who normally don't care about achievements (Like some people here), since everyone likes getting free stuff. The only problem with that would be the potential for abuse/hacking achievements to get more coins/free stuff that would possibly arise with that, as well as the fact that an idea like that is probably way too forward thinking for Nintendo to approach any time soon. Any step towards either an activity log or achievement system would be a step in the right direction though.
Real money rewards, as much as I would like that, would unfortunately be ripe for abuse like you said. I don't think Nintendo is strictly opposed to ever adding an achievement system to their platforms and I do think we'll see one some day. Maybe not with Switch though. I hope they add one just so people don't avoid buying games on the platform. As long as I can still ignore and turn off all notifications of the things like i do on other systems, it'd be a win win for everyone .

I've never really cared about Achievements or Trophies but they are kinda nice to give you a reason to keep playing a game beyond the story

I really rather missed them when I was playing through Steamworld Heist on my Switch :-/ so it'd be nice to have something as an option

If there was a system wide tracking, I would have 100%ed some of the games on Switch. Definitely Mario Odyssey. I just see no point in doing that when the only place to see that I've done it is to launch the game itself.

For the same reason I've been waiting for Hollow Knight on PS4. I've got 2/3 endings, only hardest one and a lot of grinding was remaining on switch. I don't want some in-game achievements. I want to earn platinum to show the appreciation I have for this game.

I'd appreciate it but I am alright either way. I've gone off trophy hunting and mainly play on my Switch anyway.

Not sure why people are against it being an option. Especially if you could turn off the notification like other platforms.

Achievements in a lot of Nintendo games would be nice. Being able to show other players what I've done and being able to demonstrate my love for a game is enjoyable for me, and I can see Nintendo integrating them pretty creatively. Though I sorta hope that they aren't in every game, cos as someone said above it would pretty drastically change how a lot of people go into BotW or something.

I'll chime in with my usual "Why not let people opt out of participating in them entirely?" stance that gets either conveniently ignored or dismissed with some silly remark about disabling notifications.

I love Achievements and I love looking over my list scrolling through them and remembering the memories of playing the games that I've played.

Wish Nintendo would add system wide Accomplishments that you can show off to your friends. :(

I love Achievements and I love looking over my list scrolling through them and remembering the memories of playing the games that I've played.

Wish Nintendo would add system wide Accomplishments that you can show off to your friends. :(
I don't know how to ask this without sounding like a dick, so sorry, but do your friends enjoy sitting through that?