Tragic Loss of Metal Gear Solid

GOAT series.

On the one hand the story is very much complete and Kojima has finally moved on to a new IP but on the other...it just won't stop hurting.

The series was, and still is, one of a kind.

The first polygonal on-screen matchup of young and brash Solid Snake voiced by Hayter taking on Big Boss voiced by Kiefer at their physical primes all in the glorious Fox Engine is never going to happen bruh. It hurts to live.

If you consider MGSV, it completely wrecks the whole saga's story.

Just do like the artbook and completely disregard it. Like it never existed.

(but the graphics and gameplay are awesome)

I don't think the series really needed any more titles, it's complete as-is. The most I can say is that the 2 MSX titles getting remakes would be welcomed by me.

If there was an MGS6 when would it even take place? Feel like he completed the series pretty much (I’ve just started V)

I mean, would they go further back and do a prequel for The Boss? I love her but I don’t think it’s necessary

Like 8 mainline entries and a bunch of spin offs is more than most franchises would ever get.
It was good while it lasted, at least, even if I thought the last 3 underwhelmed a bit

Metal Gear Solid was one of the series that first informed my taste in games and i grew into the medium alongside it.

But after playing through Ground Zeroes and a few hours of Phantom Pain i had no interest whatsoever in where it was going. The only things i found to be better were the gamefeel and the visuals, everything else was a severe disappointment and not at all what i wanted from the series. So whether Kojima and/or Konami kept making them or not i doubt i would be interested.

I feel like the series got 100% closure with MGS4.... and then they somehow did 2 more (Peace Walker and MGSV). This series wasn't killed before its time. They did enough.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino - Snake is in Smash
I feel like one aspect of this video is too soon. One failed spinoff doesn't equal the loss of a series.
There's always a possibility that another creator can take up the mantle Kojima has left behind.
I get the video covers this somewhat, but that aspect just seems to be overboard.

HOWEVER, I agree with the part talking about the the older games. We really won't see anything offer that landmark moment like MGS1 did on PS1. That was a defining and huge moment in gaming as a whole. I still go back and play MGS1 just to experience it again.

Now going into more of what the video is talking about. I still say that MGS 1 - 3 are the titles that really encapsulate what MGS is and changed the face of gaming. After that original 3 there wasn't much left that was groundbreaking or really changed gaming. Outside of the quirkiness in a serious setting that still is basically unrivaled.

MGS4 is a finale unlike anything we’ll ever see in gaming again

So yeah the series definitely could’ve ended there but I’m glad they went back to flesh out some of the series’ earlier timeline for the later installments but I’m not sure how much more they could do

It ended at MGS4 for me, good bow on the series. I didn't feel like MGS5 would be interesting for me with how few cutscenes was in it, I liked the cutscenes a lot in the games. Too bad Drebin never got his own game or something.

Agreed. 4 was a perfectly fine ending.
2 was a perfectly fine ending.

As a PS4 and PC owner, how can i play MGS from 1 to 3?
The only way you can play them currently is via emulator. MGS1 and 2 technically had PC ports, but both were pretty bad even for their time. 2 requires a lot of tinkering to get working on modern hardware. It didn’t even work for me when it first came out.

Really? It could've ended on 4 and I would've been a lot happier. 5 was unfortunately unfinished and that was not how it should've ended up.
It did end with 4. 4 is the finale.

V closes the loop on the story, and perfectly at that.

The only incomplete portion of V is Episode 51 (which was supposed to be post launch DLC) but even then we know what would have happened there thanks to the video that KojiPro put together.

2 was a perfectly fine ending.

The only way you can play them currently is via emulator. MGS1 and 2 technically had PC ports, but both were pretty bad even for their time. 2 requires a lot of tinkering to get working on modern hardware. It didn’t even work for me when it first came out.
2 ends on a pretty big cliffhanger...

silver lining is Kojima would've kept churning out metal gear until he was like 80 with never seriously pursuing other avenues.

i feel 4 was a decent conclusion and 5 connected the boss and solid arcs well enough. it wasn't perfect but about the best closure you could ask for. and, hey, the thing actually ended, which very few "sagas" actually do

2 ends on a pretty big cliffhanger...
2 ended exactly how it meant to. We weren’t supposed to learn who the Patriots were because it didn’t matter. That was the entire point of the ending sequence before the call. It was only there because MGS1 had something similar and that was a big theme of 2.

This happens all the time with studios leaving an IP. Sometimes it works out sometimes not. Obviously the situation is different with the Konami split but let’s not act like the IP is dead

Konami seems to be interested in Bomber Man, Castlevania again, they just released a poorly received MG spin off, have made some MGS games BC, continue to sell older games on devices like Nvidia Shield, etc

It’s in a Sonic 2006 or worse type place but there’s no reason to think it will never get better imo. We have to be willing to receive new MG games from new developers if it is to continue

I’m optimistic about its future but I expect a new big game to take at least 3-5 years after this whole situation with Kojima.

The only incomplete portion of V is Episode 51 (which was supposed to be post launch DLC) but even then we know what would have happened there thanks to the video that KojiPro put together.
As far as the time line goes yeah you're right 4 is the finale which is nice. I just wish 5 could've been fully realized. It's quite unfortunate how all of it went down and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not a great way to go out with the series of this magnitude under those circumstances.

I don't think the series really needed any more titles, it's complete as-is. The most I can say is that the 2 MSX titles getting remakes would be welcomed by me.
This is probably the safest route for them to take in a post-Kojima world.

The story is already there, as is the engine

Although I suppose they could always call up Platinum and continue on Rising

Err.... what video by kojipro and what does it show us? I still haven’t beaten it 100% due to the insane Dev requirements for research.

I loved everything MGS and the story to me in V just felt so barren and incomplete.

As a PS4 and PC owner, how can i play MGS from 1 to 3?
There are PC ports of MGS1 and MGS2. Both have been patched by fans - exceptionally well, in fact. I would be happy to PM you the details, if you're interested. As for MGS3, emulator is the only way, for now.

Edit: PM'd!

Last edited:
MGSV is probably my favorite in the series, but I probably would have been okay if 4 was the last game released for the series. It was a great ride, but I'm fine with Kojima moving on. Death Stranding looks absolutely insane and I hope it captures the same feeling.

As far as the time line goes yeah you're right 4 is the finale which is nice. I just wish 5 could've been fully realized. It's quite unfortunate how all of it went down and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not a great way to go out with the series of this magnitude under those circumstances.
Nothing unfortunate about it aside from the aforementioned cancelled episode.

Top notch story, characters, music and some of the best gameplay ever in a game. The game is loaded with memorable moments.

Err.... what video by kojipro and what does it show us? I still haven’t beaten it 100% due to the insane Dev requirements for research.

I loved everything MGS and the story to me in V just felt so barren and incomplete.
Episode 51.

The story in MGSV is only 'barren and incomplete' if you are used to having the story spoon fed via long cutscenes.

MGSV's approach is different in that it expects the player to piece a good portion of it together through cutscenes, tapes and the game world (and real world history). There is plenty of it.

I just want them on PC so they can be preserved in a decent state and I can play them without worrying about “generations”. I should go back and replay V with some mods to see if that fixes any problems.

It should have been over sooner. That isn't some dig at MGSV cause I think it is a great playing game, but if the main person behind the series was continuing it just so he can have free reign on projects he actually wanted to do, it should end.

I still want more MGSV style tactical espionage action.

It overstayed its welcome with 4 and Peace Walker. But then again I really like MGS V's gameplay.
Kinda glad its over, but damn I wish it could have had a proper ending.