Tragic Loss of Metal Gear Solid

It did end with 4. 4 is the finale.

V closes the loop on the story, and perfectly at that.

The only incomplete portion of V is Episode 51 (which was supposed to be post launch DLC) but even then we know what would have happened there thanks to the video that KojiPro put together.
No disrespect my dude, but you have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think that the ridiculous retcon that is MGSV closes the loop on the story perfectly.

I just wish they were allowed to finish up V the way they wanted to. In terms of loss, ya im sad because we wont get another one, but its probably good it didnt overstay its welcome

Even though V felt very anti-climactic to me, 4 had already capped the series off perfectly. And even if I didn't like the story aspects and delivery, the actual gameplay of V was a joy.

I'm pretty satisfied with what we got. Also glad we're getting new things from Kojima.

MGSV is my game of the generation and it's my fourth favorite MGS game, the series is that good. I don't care if the story keeps getting worse, the gameplay and unique qualities of those games are unmatched. It is a shame we won't get more. Here's hoping Death Stranding can provide us with a game that's as interesting.

Agreed. 4 was a perfectly fine ending.
MGS4 was horrible, full stop. Bastardized the characters and went in an absurd direction because of fanboys.

MGSV was a waste of story and did nothing interesting with the characters. The only decent gameplay sections were when they returned to large enclosed compounds, of which the game only had 3-4.

Want to revive MGS? Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy

The time between MGS and MGS2, the early adventures of Otacon and Snake. We see the transformation from the isolated cut off Snake from the end of MGS1 to the more optimistic and activist Snake in MGS2.

Peace Walker and V (to a lesser extent) felt like superfluous addition to the series' storyline, though I do like V's ending, but MGSV is such a phenomenal game that I can't really bring myself to care. Everything after 4 may have felt tacked-on narratively, but I'm glad the franchise didn't end there.

MGS4 was horrible, full stop.

MGSV was a waste of story and did nothing interesting with the characters.

Want to revive MGS? Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy

The time between MGS and MGS2, the early adventures of Otocon and Snake. We see the transformation from the isolated cut off Snake from the end of MGS1 to the more optimistic and activist Snake in MGS2.
You are wrong about both Mgs 4 and 5. 5 could have done more but 4 is up there with the best Mgs games and it had a great ending.

It's my favourite series of all time and while i'm sad at how Kojima was ousted I'm glad it ended before it got bad.

Metal Gear Survive doesn't count.

You are wrong about both Mgs 4 and 5. 5 could have done more but 4 is up there with the best Mgs games and it had a great ending.
MGS4 was... not a good game. The writing and story were beyond absurd and it was just an overload of fanservice for the sake of fanservice while destroying most of the characters of the series.

Huge fan with pretty much all in my favourite games of all time list... sad to see it go but probably about time. I would love a definitive collection on PS (so it can have all the exclusive games) that included all the mainline games as well as the off shoots like Ac!d.
Would be a fitting send off.

Solid vs BB in fox engine needed to happen.
And The Boss game in WW2 as well.
Oh well.

I can keep playing endless mission mods in V at least while cosplaying her

The further away from Metal Gear we get, the more excited I am for Kojima's next adventure. Metal Gear had a great run - one unlike any we will ever see again, and Kojima has left that company in the perfect place to create their own continuity or spin-off titles for years to come. They refused to take him up on the offer, game after game. Maybe one day, they will. Whether they do or not, either scenario is fine now, because Metal Gear has delivered the greatest game series of all time, and its original creator will be unconstrained by the property that had held him back for such an extensive period of his creative career.

MGS4 was... not a good game. The writing and story were beyond absurd and it was just an overload of fanservice for the sake of fanservice while destroying most of the characters of the series.
I don't agree at all. The series was already absurd and it did a good job of wrapping up the story.

The series ended at MGS4 for me. MGSV has elements of greatness, but it just did t feel like a real, mainline MGS game to me.

More absurd than MGS 2?
There are different type of "absurds", considering at the time of creation MGS2 was inherently ambiguous on what exactly was reality and used it for it's story.

Thats different than having a villain use nano-machines to cure cancer and then stab herself with a needle to die because Kojima wanted to have a re-dux of Sniper Wolf dying and Hal crying.

Or having a joke character who shits himself in every game become a main character.

A story being absurd because of bad writing/characters and incoherent plot lines is far different than an absurd story that uses the concept of reality to break the main character and the player.

Can we retcon 4 in order to get another game with the good Snake AND pre-cyborg Raiden? Having both as playable (switching back & forth?) would rule.

Only thing I would change was how it ended in 4. Fine with how 5 ended. MGSV is great if you got the epilogue, then a lot of it start to make sense. Tales of Snake and Big Boss are done.
Not interested in what Konami has in store for MGS 6.

I'm okay with the ending it got in 4 and having Peace Walker did went further into Big Boss life. I'm not a fan of V story.

Only thing I could ask for is a remake of the two first titles.

it's just a shame snake's story went out with the ballless shitshow that was 4s ending. really cemented big boss' saga as the better story overall, which is weird cause i was always fond of 2s madness

I would have a hard time disagreeing with this
I feel like it’d open up a whole big can of worms though. MGS3, while a great prequel, opened the floodgates to a ton of new lore that, although I loved, could get pretty confusing. I can’t imagine what pushing the series back another 30-40 years in the past would do with the conspiracies and twists that would be bound to happen

I’m glad the series is over too.

Kojimas creative ability always seemed to be limited to the series. No matter how crazy it would get it, it was still hinged to MGS.

now that he is free, DS looks like a beast has been released from the shackles.

That said...bring on the MGS remakes

As one of the biggest Metal Gear fanboys around here, I'm glad it's finally over.
Yeah. I'm really glad Kojima finally gets to move on and do other things.

Although, I think Metal Gear can still exist, as a franchise, without him. But not in the same continuity. Story-based stealth and a near future aesthetic is a niche that not many games fill.

I wish we could have gotten the ending the series truly deserved. For as fantastic as the gameplay was in V, it could have been a true masterpiece if Kojima had any control over the final hours of the game.

I’m not upset the series is over, I’m upset at how it ended and how it’s corpse is going to likely be abused by Konami.

If Kojima didn't go crazy with MGS5 it couldve been something special. It's gameplay is still the closest a 3rd person game has come to perfection in its genre. The movement is second to none, the stealth options are vast and satisfying. Such a shame

The series story ended 10 years ago in 4. Everything else has been just filler. Not sure what else anyone wants from the story? V showed there was nothing really left. I mean the whole story is moot just showing why there are two big bosses in the metal gear games. I love the series but it's time has come and gone. That's ok.

My man.

A crazy ending for a crazy series. Couldn't ask for anything better.
Yep. Didnt mind portable ops as a small side adventure. But peace walker and v were unecessary story wise.

Plus i hated peace walkers gameplay.

Amazing series, but im glad its moving on.

I agree after having these amazing four games (despite what many say that 4 was overbloated with movies and was the true downfall of Kojima), being followed up as it was with Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain just beating the dead horse...
At least Rising: Revengance gave us some amazing music and action gameplay... a tragic loss indeed...

After playing four I stopped caring to be honest. Tragic when this used to be one of my favorite series, but I'll always have those games.