Tragic Loss of Metal Gear Solid

If there was an MGS6 when would it even take place? Feel like he completed the series pretty much (I’ve just started V)

I mean, would they go further back and do a prequel for The Boss? I love her but I don’t think it’s necessary
That's really the only other Metal Gear game there could have been, a prequel with The Boss during World War II.

That shit died to me when Kojima refused to bring back Hayter. Guess it also helps that the last mainline entry ended on a whimper and not a bang.

There's lots of things I like about every game in the series, but had they left it at MGS1-3, it would be the most untouchable trilogy in gaming.

We had 4 amazing games, decent spin-offs, and a 5th one that confirmed it should have ended one game sooner.

I'd say the series gave us a good amount of content to enjoy through the years.

If there was an MGS6 when would it even take place? Feel like he completed the series pretty much (I’ve just started V)

I mean, would they go further back and do a prequel for The Boss? I love her but I don’t think it’s necessary
Prequels often aren't really necessary.
From where i see it, the franchise can only continue in 3 ways:
- A prequel with the Boss in WW2, Cobra Unit, Philosophers, how Zero began his plan, etc.
- Remakes of MG and MG2
- A sequel to Metal Gear Rising.

Prequels often aren't really necessary.
From where i see it, the franchise can only continue in 3 ways:
- A prequel with the Boss in WW2, Cobra Unit, Philosophers, how Zero began his plan, etc.
- Remakes of MG and MG2
- A sequel to Metal Gear Rising.
Didn’t Zero start his plan after Snake Eater though? If you’re referring to Cipher

Mind you I’m still in the beginning of MGSV so there might be something I don’t know

Couldn't they just make a son of solid snake series? Who's to say that someone didnt clone old snake. It's possible right?
I wish one of the big three would just but the series, and put Kojima back on it.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Peace Walker quite a lot, but not so much for what it added to the story rather than how the content felt like it celebrated Metal Gear's sillier side with weapons like the human slingshot, items like the Rescue, Stun and Assassin's Box and missions like Ghost Photography and Pooyan.

With that all said, MGS4 was the finale for me. Looking back, that's really where I feel like the series has ended.

Post MGS1 and Pre MGS2 with Snake and Otacon taking down rogue Metal Gears.

Don’t think MEtal Gear has to end. Maybe end snakes story, but I always thought another snake could be brought in. I mean, it is just a code name.

Treat it like James Bond.

mgsv is a fun game to play

the graphics are cool, the art is cool ... everything about it (besides the story) is really smooth.

i think it's a good stand alone game, i'd even recommend it to a newcomer to the series for gameplay alone.
mgs has always had a convoluted story ... it only makes sense that even the directors/producers lost sight ...

First 2 were masterpieces.
3rd was pretty good.

Should've ended at Snake Eater. Big Boss' origin story was a fine way to end the series. But we ended up with Big Boss Origin Part 2 Portable Ops, Big Boss Origin Part 3 Peace Walker, Big Boss Origin 2.8 Dream Drop Distance Ground Zero Prelude, and whatever the fuck MGSV was.

There's no loss here and the video doesn't do a good job of explaining otherwise. All it's explaining are the virtues of MGS game by game, which could be said of any series of anything really. Eventually, things have to come to an end or else they get heavily watered down and become a shell of their former selves. You'll still always have the monumental works that have come before. You don't need a new entry every 3 years to feel good about that. The claim that "Death Stranding looks great but probably won't revolutionise gaming like MGS did." Well, okay, maybe, but neither will another MGS sequel right? MGS1 was a flash-in-the-pan moment for video games where bigger budgets, growing technology and the ability to record sound and music culminated in something more cinematic than what had come before. These kinds of things don't come around often. Honestly, Death Stranding, free from the shackles of the awful bloated lore of the MGS series probably has a higher chance of impressing than another MGS sequel would. It looks patently unique and bold. I'd go so far as to say we'd be better off had Kojima been pumping out original games instead of MGS sequels.

On top of that, I simply disagree about his overwhelming praise for the series. MGS is really interesting and I'll always be glad I played through the series. It's got some really interesting mechanics, often feels fresh and it's got really bold choices. Way more interesting a series than most AAA series'. But let's not pretend the series doesn't have its fair share of awful, awful decisions that should make anyone over the age of 13 cringe to the skies. The music playing in the video is the track from one of the cringiest cinematics ever committed to screen as discussed in the Cringiest cutscene ever thread from the other day. This is not an abberation for Kojima. He overwrites his shit to oblivion. He'll tell you what the characters are thinking through the most heavy handed exposition ever and then beat you over the head with it another 3 times for good measure. He seems incapable of organically developing characters. His games are rife with boorish sexism and tedious, lethargic storytelling. No one in his games talks or acts like real human beings. They behave like people whose only exposure to other humans is through watching Hollywood action films. He's got some really cool ideas but he's not a good storyteller. The closest it comes to well told is the bombastic fever dream of MGS2 that culminates in a rug-pulling of epic proportions that flips a mirror back on modern society. That's the only time the series has felt insightful.

It will always be my favorite franchise in gaming.. From both story standpoint, technical aspect (MGS4 was insane for it's time) and gameplay aspects.

Even thou it's a goodbye for Snake and Co we still got Sam Fisher around for one more round or such...

MGS4 was a great narrative sendoff. MGSV was a perfect gameplay sendoff. Both kind of left you wanting more in the other department but they complement one another nicely and make it easier to say goodbye to the series... Still, would've been nice to get a Metal Gear or MGS remake in FOX engine.

Good to hear. I'll start off with that for my first play through of the series
Oh if you talk about MGS5 VR missions. I don't think so. I was talking about the VR mission games of the first game. They were like a full game alone and they were really pretty fun. The ebst game is the detective game in those. just don't rush any game and don't look for solutions in the net. All the fun is in trying to finish every mission alone like everyone did at that time with no internet.

MGSV is my favourite one and also the best third person shooter I've ever played. Didn't feel unfinished at all to me, game has actually 2 endings if I remember right, I can't say it's unfinished just because it's missing that one mission, I was fine with Eli storyline. You can put like 300hs into that game and it's still fun.

Unpopular opinion here on era, I know.

I was a die hard MGS fan, and I am absolutely fine with there never being another game in the series. Kojima told the story, finished it, put a bow on it, and he's already gone back and made more games that either added nothing of value or spoiled what was originally there. It's over. MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 tell a wonderful, complete story in four parts, and we don't need more and more and more in perpetuity just for the sake of having more.

I am so much happier to see Kojima unshackled from Metal Gear's story baggage and seemingly given a blank cheque with Death Stranding than I would be with another MGS game.

I still haven't played MGSV. lol
Honestly in my opinion it just doesn’t feel like a metal gear game to me. I have the game but can’t bring myself to finish it as I just find it boring as hell. It’s just missing that charm and story telling that the other metal gear games are known for.

As for the vid I loved it, I definitely will miss this franchise but the story is complete at this point. I remember playing mgs on the PlayStation when it first released I don’t think there was ever a game like it before I was blown away.

The series fell off when they stopped being action movies and became base building private military simulators. He also needs to drop his obsession with open world/sand box games.

I wanted Metal Gear 1 and 2 remakes but only if they were semi-open. I think it's for the best the series is over, I'm just sad that Kojima didn't do those or a Boss WWII game instead of MGSV.

Eh, it overstayed its welcome. Peace Walker and V were completely unnecessary from a narrative point of view.

The circumstances are shit but at least Kojima has finally been able to move onto something else.

when you create narrative and continuity driven series of games you limit their longevity as a franchise. It's bound to happen more and more with so many of narrative driven single player games

MGSV was really good. I also liked the story and the delivery. The series ended with 4 and V is just an origin story that is pretty much a prequel to MG1.

I am good with it and yeah, I am really sad that this wonderful mess is over.

First 2 were masterpieces.
3rd was pretty good.

Should've ended at Snake Eater. Big Boss' origin story was a fine way to end the series. But we ended up with Big Boss Origin Part 2 Portable Ops, Big Boss Origin Part 3 Peace Walker, Big Boss Origin 2.8 Dream Drop Distance Ground Zero Prelude, and whatever the fuck MGSV was.
For the most part I agree with this post. Series really should have ended with 3. Knew everything we needed to know about Big Boss by the end of 3. future games going into painful detail about all of the exact decisions he made after he turned was rather pointless.

There’s no tragic loss. MGS ended at 2 for me, so anything after that is just meekly dragging its corpse around. 5 has great gameplay however

Sometimes it’s time to let it end

I thought that 4 ended the story the best it could. V was not of my taste, felt forced. So happy Kojima can work on something new.

Great saga, loved it.

As one of the biggest Metal Gear fanboys around here, I'm glad it's finally over.
Kind of where I’m at. I can’t think of another series that even comes close for me in terms of how much I’ve loved and followed it; but there’s not really anything left to say. Even with the stuff that didn’t make it into Phantom Pain, it’s not like the information isn’t out there. You know how the story ties back into itself and how the timeline fills out. There’s nothing left and I’d much rather see it end than continue on as something that feels wholly out of touch with the original series... like Survive, for instance.

...that said, I’d never say no to a Revengeance 2 if they somehow made that a reality...

It's sad to no longer have a new metal gear game to look foward to. They were such landmark releases..but hey, who knows what the future will bring

I loved 1-4 to varying degrees but after the direction PW and MGSV took I’m glad it’s over.

The plot became too much of a mess.

MGS1 & 3 are the only games that really work as complete standalone stories without relying on the others.

I’d rather a fresh story and characters in an MGS style game, than further complicating the timeline with prequels.