Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the 40K Era There Is Only War

Holy cow, L.A. Totally Awesome is indeed awesome. This Tau army I got was in rough shape when I got it paint-wise. Lots of blogged on paint, dried in heaps and mounds. The Riptide itself was posed really, really goofy too. I broke off his legs and pelvis, and dipped all of him into a baggie of this stuff. After just an hour, it went from green to brown. I shook it once, and tons of paint started flaking off. I'll leave it in overnight to be safe, but I bet I could already pull it out and start scraping it clean.

Lots of stuff at Warhammer Fest Europe:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ive-bloggw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Kill Team: Rogue Trader is a massive expansion to Kill Team that has something for every kind of player. Kill Team has offered us the chance to explore the 41st Millennium in ways that were never previously possible, with its intimate, ground-level scale letting us peek into the darker corners of the lore.

Kill Team: Rogue Trader is a milestone for Warhammer bringing Rogue Traders and their crews – the daring colonisers who claim new territory for the Imperium – to life in miniature form for the first time since Inquisitor. These miniatures are truly incredible, exploring in astounding detail a part of the lore that previously only dwelled in novels or background.

Your Rogue Trader and crew will be up against a host of repulsive Nurgle infected and renegade servants of the Plague God swollen with horrific mutations.

The Kill Team: Rogue Trader boxed set is more than miniatures – it’s a toolbox with something to offer for every Kill Team player, from those using the system to forge thrilling narratives to die-hard tournament players.

At its core, the set is an adventure that pits Rogue Trader Elucia Vhane against a fiendish strain of mutants in a series of narrative missions. You’ll be able to use both kill teams in your campaigns and matched play missions, with a set of datasheets and points values for each.

Essentially, you’re getting two Kill Team Starter Sets in one – as well as a thematic (and portable) pair of Killzones. In Rogue Trader, you’ll find rules, boards and terrain for playing in the cramped confines of the Imperial shuttle, the Truehawk, or an Imperial Shrine. As well as offering new tactical challenges, these boards make sparse but effective use of terrain, making it the perfect option for playing on the go. You’ll be able to fit the entire Killzone plus your kill team and datacards into a single Skirmish Case.

You’ll even be able to use both teams in your games of Warhammer 40,000, giving you yet another use for these stunning models.

More Kill Team sets:

A few days ago, we pulled the covers off a recent triumph in Orkish engineering with a reveal of the new and improved Ork Warbuggy – or, as they call it, the Kustom Boosta-blasta…

There’s a lot more on the way for the Greenskinz, with a new wave of wild and wonderful vehicles arriving this Orktober, spearheaded by Speed Freeks.

This boxed set pits you against a friend in a series of death races between a variety of Orkish speedsters, including the aforementioned Kustom Boosta-blasta and the Shokkjump Dragsta – a racer that uses shokk-attack technology to project itself ahead of the competition – or just into anyone that looks like they need smashin’ up.

Speed Freeks (and more) will be joining us in Orktober – until then, stand by (and maybe treat yourself to a Mek).

Due to overwhelming popular demand, Space Marine Heroes is going global. First introduced in Japan last year, we’ve had loads of feedback on social media that you guys want a chance to grab these models for yourself – and soon, you’ll have your chance.

Space Marine Heroes are highly collectable Space Marines that you’ll be able to pick up in blind packs at your local Warhammer and Games Workshop stores (as well as participating retailers). With a range of unique new designs, these guys are great for kill teams, adding some character to your squads or just guarding your desk while you work.

We’ve been waiting for ages to bring you a dedicated podcast for Warhammer 40,000 – with so much exciting stuff on the way, and having assembled a crack team for StormCast, now is the perfect time. Every other week, we’ll be bringing you a full hour of insights, tactics, tips and chat, offering you unprecedented access to the people who make the games you love.

Back at AdeptiCon, we revealed Sisters of Battle were coming in (if the Emperor wills it) 2019. We know you guys have been anticipating this release for years, and we want to assure you that Sisters of Battle are in the best possible hands.

After looking at the first of the new generation of Adepta Sororitas at AdeptiCon, today we’re previewing some early images as well as exploring how our miniatures designers have brought this iconic range to life.

Last edited:
Horus Heresy stuff from Forge World:

For every Legion, two popular Consul choices will be at long last receiving models of their own. These flexible champions are key to any Space Marine Legion list, offering a range of bonuses to your army as well as opening up all sorts of thematic opportunities. Very soon, you’ll be able to add a Vigilator – a ruthless sniper who lends his expertise in scouting and infiltration to your units – or a machine-mastering Praevian to your Horus Heresy army:
Love the Dreadnoughts.

As much as the Cawdor weapons look nice, to be honest they don't help them with weapon variety much. There are lots of weapons all gangs can take, and which would make them more useful as 40k cultists, which there aren't models for. Goliath have a similar issue.

Last edited:
So are the only Sisters of Battle things they're showing today the weapons? I was really kind of hoping that they'd be something more than just bolters and flamers, because that made them feel somewhat limited in the past, but I guess we're just all in on that.

So are the only Sisters of Battle things they're showing today the weapons? I was really kind of hoping that they'd be something more than just bolters and flamers, because that made them feel somewhat limited in the past, but I guess we're just all in on that.
Hey now, don't forget the meltas!

But yeah, I don't expect much deviation from their older selves.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resetter
Did you not see the melee weapons?
Hey now, don't forget the meltas!

But yeah, I don't expect much deviation from their older selves.
People will go into a hissy fit if it's not like the older models.

I guess I just kind of hoped it would be similar to the older models but with more variation in their arsenal. It’s been like a 10 year wait and while plastics alone are nice, I’m still hoping that it’s going to give them more depth than the half an army they currently are.

I would also be entirely fine if they dropped some of the crap that their brief Witch Hunters stint hoisted upon them. A melee unit that isn’t as gross as the Repentia squad would be appreciated.

I guess I just kind of hoped it would be similar to the older models but with more variation in their arsenal. It’s been like a 10 year wait and while plastics alone are nice, I’m still hoping that it’s going to give them more depth than the half an army they currently are.

I would also be entirely fine if they dropped some of the crap that their brief Witch Hunters stint hoisted upon them. A melee unit that isn’t as gross as the Repentia squad would be appreciated.
Nobody said these were all the weapons they'd had. They aren't going to show exciting and new stuff at this point.

I got to play a 40k game over the weekend! It interrupted World of Warcraft level time, but that's okay. I need a guild / friends in it anyways.

Anyhoo, I deployed Necrons and I was happy with the list. Quick synopsis.

6 Destroyers
2 Heavy destroyers (two squads of 3 destroyers and one heavy)
9 wraiths (squads of 5 and 4)
7 Deathmarks
1 Doomsday Ark
15 Immortals (5 Gauss) split into 3 squads
1 Lord
1 Overlord
1 Cryptek
1 Nightbringer
I leave to go get a drink and come back and see this lined up (all pics spoiled for size)

An Atropos!
..the fuck is an Atropos...?
Well, let's try it!
Open War, Supply Cache, a pretty close deployment. The game starts. I did not go first. The Knights move forward and open fire. The Doomsday Ark Quantum Shielding is a champ and totally mitigates a 5 damage hit. Doomsday Ark ends the turn at 8 (to be healed to 9) of 14 wounds. The Wraiths take some fire, but 3++'s for days means only light casualties. And here is where my first major mistake occurs.

I placed the Nightbringer too far forward and the deployment was too close. First turn charges by the Knights got the Atropos into melee and he obliterated the Nightbringer with some weapon that's like 14 strength / 6 damage versus monsters....which the Nightbringer is! The Nightbringer survived initially, but a stratagem that let the Knight fight again solved that issue. And, of course..

Reality Unravels.

I said screw it, did not re-roll, and then took 3 mortals on two separate squads of Immortals each and 2 mortals on my Lord. The Knights actually also took 2 and 3 Mortals (the other forge world knight was also in melee).

The Wraiths, meanwhile, continued to mitigate damage like the scary mofos they are and strike back, doing a surprising amount of damage, but both knights are fine.

My turn begins and I fire back. The Doomsday Ark, after a re-roll for shots, lands SIX HITS and wounds SIX TIMES on the Atropos. I am giddy as fuck because he did not rotate ion shields (he was trying to do it afterwards so I couldn't just switch the Destroyers to the other Knight I presume). This, THIS will surely cost him thinks I. Six wounds on a D6 damage weapon? Maybe I can come back from losing the Nightbringer like an idiot by placing him too far forward?

Or the Atropos can make three of six saves and then use his warlord re-roll and a command point re-roll to mitigate five of six wounds. Okay, sure, that works too. Atropos ends up only taking 5 damage from the Doomsday Ark.

The Destroyers and follow-up charges by the Wraith squads occurs. Both squads of Destroyers are My Will Be Done'd via stratagem and emerge to open fire. Rotate ion shields happen here, but I say F it, possibly foolishly?, and still concentrate fire. Use of Destroyer stratagem + My Will Be Done + the follow up Wraith charge and melees causes the Atropos to be dropped to one wound above his bottom damage track. 3++ save makes sure the Wraiths don't suffer too greatly from this and I am now surprised by how well Wraiths do against Knights. I file that away for future battles.

An amusing moment occurs when on his following turn, he finds some space to fall back (my consolidation of the Wraiths could have prevented this due to screens and that they're not infantry and can't be walked over, but I screwed up) and again fires at the Doomsday Ark with the Atropos. The big cannon (black hole cannon?) rolls a die. On a 6, he's guaranteed 6 damage. On a 1, he takes a mortal wound....but he's firing at a Doomsday Ark with quantum shielding. He rolls a six. Realizing that that means that I'll most likely make the quantum shield roll no matter what (and command point re-roll if I don't), HE command point re-rolls....into a 1. The Atropos takes a mortal wound and that puts him in his lowest damage track. Expletives follow.

The attrition grind continues with no one finding the supply cache despite five of six objectives being occupied at all times. Reanimation protocols cause most of the Immortals to return from Reality Unravels amusingly, and they get some wounds in, but the Knights carve their way forward....but due to terrain and screening and the Wraiths ducking in and out of melee (3++, toughness 5's just do not die), it's not as easy going as expected.

Post screens followed by another round and my front line falls back.

I am down to two Wraiths, but the Atropos finally go down. I waste some command points trying to bring back Wraiths, but only manage to bring back one. That is definitely payback for bringing back three of four in a prior game. At this point, though, damage is slowly accruing on the Knights and damage tracks are starting to matter. The Supply Cache has still not been found.

The Knights push forward, but due to terrain and screens, the Destroyers are able to keep moving back and firing. Foolish use of command points loses me their stratagem, but the Knights are being whittled down and, more importantly, the Destroyers that are killed on return fire are re-animating. His Guardsmen are now advancing, but their flashlights do nothing.

Finally, at turn 4, the supply cache is found on the opposite side of the map by some responsible Guardsmen. There's no way I can make it to them with two Knights in the way and not get melee'd to death.

The game is over.

I will learn placement one of these days!

I know it's a separate post, but, I did a desperation Deathmark drop in and fired at the Knights fishing for mortals. Got two mortals and a normal unsaved wound. It actually helped!

Nice! As a fellow Necron player, my answer to the Knights was bucket of dice Mephrit infantry (-1 Tesla can do a lot of work, as can a warrior unit firing 40 shots of -2 gauss). Also used Nephrekh for destroyers so I could keep them in deep strike so they aren't killed first turn.

I got myself a doomsday ark recently and interested to try that out

I got to play a 40k game over the weekend! It interrupted World of Warcraft level time, but that's okay. I need a guild / friends in it anyways.

Anyhoo, I deployed Necrons and I was happy with the list. Quick synopsis.

6 Destroyers
2 Heavy destroyers (two squads of 3 destroyers and one heavy)
9 wraiths (squads of 5 and 4)
7 Deathmarks
1 Doomsday Ark
15 Immortals (5 Gauss) split into 3 squads
1 Lord
1 Overlord
1 Cryptek
1 Nightbringer
I leave to go get a drink and come back and see this lined up (all pics spoiled for size)

An Atropos!
..the fuck is an Atropos...?
Well, let's try it!
Open War, Supply Cache, a pretty close deployment. The game starts. I did not go first. The Knights move forward and open fire. The Doomsday Ark Quantum Shielding is a champ and totally mitigates a 5 damage hit. Doomsday Ark ends the turn at 8 (to be healed to 9) of 14 wounds. The Wraiths take some fire, but 3++'s for days means only light casualties. And here is where my first major mistake occurs.

I placed the Nightbringer too far forward and the deployment was too close. First turn charges by the Knights got the Atropos into melee and he obliterated the Nightbringer with some weapon that's like 14 strength / 6 damage versus monsters....which the Nightbringer is! The Nightbringer survived initially, but a stratagem that let the Knight fight again solved that issue. And, of course..

Reality Unravels.

I said screw it, did not re-roll, and then took 3 mortals on two separate squads of Immortals each and 2 mortals on my Lord. The Knights actually also took 2 and 3 Mortals (the other forge world knight was also in melee).

The Wraiths, meanwhile, continued to mitigate damage like the scary mofos they are and strike back, doing a surprising amount of damage, but both knights are fine.

My turn begins and I fire back. The Doomsday Ark, after a re-roll for shots, lands SIX HITS and wounds SIX TIMES on the Atropos. I am giddy as fuck because he did not rotate ion shields (he was trying to do it afterwards so I couldn't just switch the Destroyers to the other Knight I presume). This, THIS will surely cost him thinks I. Six wounds on a D6 damage weapon? Maybe I can come back from losing the Nightbringer like an idiot by placing him too far forward?

Or the Atropos can make three of six saves and then use his warlord re-roll and a command point re-roll to mitigate five of six wounds. Okay, sure, that works too. Atropos ends up only taking 5 damage from the Doomsday Ark.

The Destroyers and follow-up charges by the Wraith squads occurs. Both squads of Destroyers are My Will Be Done'd via stratagem and emerge to open fire. Rotate ion shields happen here, but I say F it, possibly foolishly?, and still concentrate fire. Use of Destroyer stratagem + My Will Be Done + the follow up Wraith charge and melees causes the Atropos to be dropped to one wound above his bottom damage track. 3++ save makes sure the Wraiths don't suffer too greatly from this and I am now surprised by how well Wraiths do against Knights. I file that away for future battles.

An amusing moment occurs when on his following turn, he finds some space to fall back (my consolidation of the Wraiths could have prevented this due to screens and that they're not infantry and can't be walked over, but I screwed up) and again fires at the Doomsday Ark with the Atropos. The big cannon (black hole cannon?) rolls a die. On a 6, he's guaranteed 6 damage. On a 1, he takes a mortal wound....but he's firing at a Doomsday Ark with quantum shielding. He rolls a six. Realizing that that means that I'll most likely make the quantum shield roll no matter what (and command point re-roll if I don't), HE command point re-rolls....into a 1. The Atropos takes a mortal wound and that puts him in his lowest damage track. Expletives follow.

The attrition grind continues with no one finding the supply cache despite five of six objectives being occupied at all times. Reanimation protocols cause most of the Immortals to return from Reality Unravels amusingly, and they get some wounds in, but the Knights carve their way forward....but due to terrain and screening and the Wraiths ducking in and out of melee (3++, toughness 5's just do not die), it's not as easy going as expected.

Post screens followed by another round and my front line falls back.

I am down to two Wraiths, but the Atropos finally go down. I waste some command points trying to bring back Wraiths, but only manage to bring back one. That is definitely payback for bringing back three of four in a prior game. At this point, though, damage is slowly accruing on the Knights and damage tracks are starting to matter. The Supply Cache has still not been found.

The Knights push forward, but due to terrain and screens, the Destroyers are able to keep moving back and firing. Foolish use of command points loses me their stratagem, but the Knights are being whittled down and, more importantly, the Destroyers that are killed on return fire are re-animating. His Guardsmen are now advancing, but their flashlights do nothing.

Finally, at turn 4, the supply cache is found on the opposite side of the map by some responsible Guardsmen. There's no way I can make it to them with two Knights in the way and not get melee'd to death.

The game is over.

I will learn placement one of these days!
I love posts like these breaking down a game. Sounds like a good game, especially for learning. Fight him again with what you learned and see if you can beat him.

Nice! As a fellow Necron player, my answer to the Knights was bucket of dice Mephrit infantry (-1 Tesla can do a lot of work, as can a warrior unit firing 40 shots of -2 gauss). Also used Nephrekh for destroyers so I could keep them in deep strike so they aren't killed first turn.

I got myself a doomsday ark recently and interested to try that out
If the game had went on indefinitely, that Destroyer blob kills both remaining Knights and then annihilates the remainder of his army. Granted, even on games that don't auto-end on 5, you don't have indefinitely, but.....

I was considering deep striking one of the wraith squads and almost did, but the deployment was so close I wanted them in melee first round. And yes, my entire army was Nephrekh. I have been running Mephrit, but...…

Overlords not being able to MWBD other dynasties except by some of the named guys sucks.
Crypteks not being able to help other dynasties sucks (again, except some named guys).

I might try them again on some troop heavy lists I want to try, but this army was entirely Nephrekh. It was awesome to allow the Overlord and Cryptek guaranteed 11 inch moves to keep up with the Destroyers.

Sigh, another Space Hulk game.

There's about what, 5 games or so out within the last couple of years? I get that it's lilely a good game but hasn't GW heard of franchise fatigue?

5 games if you count the re-releases.
Space Hulk, Space Hulk: Ascended Edition, Space Hulk: Deathwing, Space Hulk: Deathwing: Definitive Edition and now Space Hulk: Tactics.

If the game had went on indefinitely, that Destroyer blob kills both remaining Knights and then annihilates the remainder of his army. Granted, even on games that don't auto-end on 5, you don't have indefinitely, but.....

I was considering deep striking one of the wraith squads and almost did, but the deployment was so close I wanted them in melee first round. And yes, my entire army was Nephrekh. I have been running Mephrit, but...…

Overlords not being able to MWBD other dynasties except by some of the named guys sucks.
Crypteks not being able to help other dynasties sucks (again, except some named guys).

I might try them again on some troop heavy lists I want to try, but this army was entirely Nephrekh. It was awesome to allow the Overlord and Cryptek guaranteed 11 inch moves to keep up with the Destroyers.
I tend to get good results if I mix Dynastys in my army, giving my battalion the Sautekh Code and the Outrider Nephrekh. Especially if you're farming Command Points with the Sautekh Warlord Trait. Some of the Dynasty Codes are flat out useless on certain units, but synergy exists because the Dynasty specific strategems are good. For example, Nihilakh Canoptek Wraiths sounds stupid on paper: when are you going to be standing still with them to reroll 1s when shooting? However, the Nihilakh Stratagem can give them a 2++ Invulnerable Save and an extra attack if they're on an objective.

I've got a list I want to take at the moment but can't find an opponent to play which sucks.

I'm actually kind of surprised they've not done a 40K MOBA. Feels like it might get some marketshare, but I guess it's because they'd find it hard to break into Korea.

Loving Kill Team, it's what I needed cause playing 40k has become such a chore and getting hard to get ppl together for it.

One rule not sure on and it feels annoying, but if you're army is broken or needs morale tests, it seems really weird to be making tests for models in HtH combat. My Ork Nob boss was wrecking ppl left and right in CC and because of some losses the army broke and forced him into a LD test so he's shaken and does nothing in HtH combat suddenly, just stands there? Lame.

Wow.

And people say you can't do 40k film.

You can, from the human perspective, and show Marines like the super humans they are, in all the awe and shockingly terrifying shock that are.

Treat them as boogiemen
I agree, at least to start with. You need to do...I dunno, the second war for Armageddon. It's got political intrigue (incompetence by the leadership) - a gruff, experienced commander pulled out of retirement to lead a desperate defense (Yarrick) in the face of impossible odds. The daily life of the average imperial citizen can be followed from the beginning, with said characters just trying to eek out a living. They can interact with gangers, arbites, establish a real feel for the world...then those characters can get drafted into the ad-hoc militias Yarrick forms later to defend the planet. The conflict builds and builds, culminating in a desperate last stand where our viewpoint characters are well and truly screwed.

Then, and only then, do you bring in the space marines. Commander Dante and the Blood Angels arrive like mythical titans at Hive Acheron, obliterating the Orcs. You finish the war out (the third war can be its own series).

Then, maybe, maybe, you do a series based on a relatable chapter like the Salamanders (who are closer to human than the other chapters). After that you can do all kinds of stories set in 40k, introduce us to other chapters gradually alongside regular human characters.

Starting out with Space Marines just won't work in my opinion.

I agree, at least to start with. You need to do...I dunno, the second war for Armageddon. It's got political intrigue (incompetence by the leadership) - a gruff, experienced commander pulled out of retirement to lead a desperate defense (Yarrick) in the face of impossible odds. The daily life of the average imperial citizen can be followed from the beginning, with said characters just trying to eek out a living. They can interact with gangers, arbites, establish a real feel for the world...then those characters can get drafted into the ad-hoc militias Yarrick forms later to defend the planet. The conflict builds and builds, culminating in a desperate last stand where our viewpoint characters are well and truly screwed.

Then, and only then, do you bring in the space marines. Commander Dante and the Blood Angels arrive like mythical titans at Hive Acheron, obliterating the Orcs. You finish the war out (the third war can be its own series).

Then, maybe, maybe, you do a series based on a relatable chapter like the Salamanders (who are closer to human than the other chapters). After that you can do all kinds of stories set in 40k, introduce us to other chapters gradually alongside regular human characters.

Starting out with Space Marines just won't work in my opinion.
Yo where's your Kickstarter, I'd like to invest

So more than 20 years after my first 40k game and almost one year after my comeback to 40k, I've convinced myself to *finally* paint my army. And what a better unit to start painting White Scars than a Dread* :P

In b4 Heresy claims: he's from Terra XD

*I blame GW for forcing me to use these. I really miss my okish/niceish Speeders and Attack Bikes from 3rd/4th/5th edition. Not counting 2nd, as I only played Chaos back then.

Last edited:
White Scars are the coolest and dreads are the coolest. Not mixing the two together would be criminal. My starter box dread is also White Scars, fuck da lore police!