Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the 40K Era There Is Only War

My local shop was having a customer appreciation day. With a deal where you roll 5 six sided dice adding up to a maximum of 35% off. Managed to snag a Riptide for 76 with tax. Just need one more to finish my army.

I probably could have gotten one cheaper on eBay but I enjoy putting models together and painting them myself.

Boomdakka Snazzwagon:

Glorious!
There’s also exciting news about Warhammer TV – it’s going stateside!

We’ve already announced that the wonderful duo of Geoff Robinson and Frankie Giampapa will be our presenting team for next week’s Warhammer 40,000 gaming at the NOVA Open event. We’re delighted to announce today that we’ll also be working with them to produce a brand new regular show – Theoryhammer – discussing matched play tips and tactics for Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

We’re also creating a new regular live feature for competitive Warhammer 40,000 – Lords of War – a show based in the US, but with guests from all over, featuring the world’s best Warhammer 40,000 players in hard-fought competitive games, accompanied by expert commentary.
Official Grand Tournaments for the US:
Last – but by no means least – was the announcement that official Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Age of Sigmar Grand Tournaments are coming to the US. We know that there is a vibrant independent tournament scene already in North America, and these events will complement those, with a chance to compete in a fully official Warhammer tournament. We can’t wait to see the standard of competition it brings.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/25/breaking-news-from-the-warhammer-citadel/

First thing is first---huge shout out to Mr. Griselbrand. My Riptide I bought used was missing a lot of pieces, and the most important was a heavy burst canon. He was quite the gentleman and sent me an extra he had sitting on a sprue still, no charge. I love this community :)

I think I'm done messing with my Riptide. He was bought used with an army, and he was in rough shape. It had a lot of spots where paint was glopped on and covering detail...at least I thought. I gave it a long bath in LAs Totally Awesome, which did wonders. However, when washed my Riptide after it's bath, I noticed that these spots where it looked glopped on wasn't paint. In fact...I have no clue what it was. Or is, rather. It was strong as hell, like putty of some kind? Silver on the outside, reddish past it's first layer. You can't see much of it too well in this breakdown image, but it got into a lot of details. I used an exacto knife to try and dig it out where I could, but some places were so thick with it that I was doing more damage than good. The front pelvis, chest, shield, and feet got it bad. It was especially thick on the feet, but I somehow managed to get most off there.

Once I got it as clean as I could, I primed, painted, and put him back together. Last night as I was putting him back on base, I realized his left foot was waaay shorter than his right. I had to think quick, and was also losing patience, so I whipped out an imperial knight helmet, painted it up, scraped and tore into it, and shoved it onto the base for his foot to rest on. Theeen I realized the base looked awful and plain with a random imperial knight mask on it, and I've never based before. So I winged the crap out of it with a mixture of expanding gorilla glue that I pushed down with my finger when it hardened, then painted over it. I think maybe they are rocks? Or mounds of mud? I don't know. I just threw a bunch of crap on.

I think I am going to need to put a stand on the base to hold him up in the back because most of the weight is behind held on his right foot. I'm afraid of it snapping off.

That's a really, really cool scheme. I love it.

On my part, I've finished the Contemptor. Next: my WS Kill Team.

Thank ya! Any kind words always feel good since I still feel like a painting beginner, but I really like doing it. Still trying to get better. Curious what you use for white paint on this guy? I have had two separate Citadel Ceramic White paints dry or turn into a grey pool with a clump of soggy white in middle. I need to get a new white that won't go bad in the pot.

Also, I am sad that halfway through painting Riptide with orange I realized I'm wanting 3 riptides, and therefore I could've painted green, red, and blue scheme for the Powerpuff Girls.

Curious what you use for white paint on this guy? I have had two separate Citadel Ceramic White paints dry or turn into a grey pool with a clump of soggy white in middle. I need to get a new white that won't go bad in the pot.
I use... grey :P. Vallejo grey primer, Ulthuan Grey as base coat, and just a bit of White (any should work, I just happen to have some from Vallejo) for the highlights (which are almost invisible on those pictures, in part due the weathering).

Using White as base coat has a couple problems. One, it can be a nightmare to paint a smooth surface. The other, you can't go brighter than that, so bye bye highlights.

Thank ya! Any kind words always feel good since I still feel like a painting beginner, but I really like doing it. Still trying to get better. Curious what you use for white paint on this guy? I have had two separate Citadel Ceramic White paints dry or turn into a grey pool with a clump of soggy white in middle. I need to get a new white that won't go bad in the pot.

Also, I am sad that halfway through painting Riptide with orange I realized I'm wanting 3 riptides, and therefore I could've painted green, red, and blue scheme for the Powerpuff Girls.
I've had good luck with White Scar. So I would try that next. Kudos on the Riptide, that's a more unique color scheme than what I go with (will post pictures later).

My go-to for painting white is Vallejo Game Air colour grey white. It's great also with a brush and you can even use it on black if you are careful and take your time.

That one bottle solved all my issues with painting white.

Hey guys. Is there a recommended beginner's paint set? I've never painted figurines before but I want to try it out as a potential new hobby, and I've always been interested in the Warhammer lore. But I have absolutely no idea where to begin.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Thanks for suggestions. I actually just bought an airbrush, so my next Riptide I'm putting together now will use it. Then I am out of stuff to paint until I get a 3rd Riptide. And I'll be sad.

Last edited:
Question...I am wanting to pose my new Riptide on a knee, so he'll be shorter than a standard Riptide. Is this frowned upon or illegal in tournaments? I am nervous it being seen as an unfair advantage since he'll be easier to hide compared to normal.

Maybe I just put rocks or something under him to boost him up?

Started to paint my infantry (and more exactly, my Kill Team guys), with the idea of doing some zenital highlighting, as I would be doing anyway the main work on airbrush as I refuse to paint another "white" armor with regular brush. Being "white" I didn't want too much contrast between parts, but I'm not sure if I've been too subtle.

I used Vallejo Grey primer, Ulthuan Grey as basecoat at ~45º and then pure White from their head. Maybe I should add another intermediate color between the primer and Ulthuan (using this at ~75º), but it's not like I dislike how they look.

EDIT: A friend tells me to use a different color as primer (i.e. Bone) instead grey to add that extra contrast. I'll try with other miniatures.

Question...I am wanting to pose my new Riptide on a knee, so he'll be shorter than a standard Riptide. Is this frowned upon or illegal in tournaments? I am nervous it being seen as an unfair advantage since he'll be easier to hide compared to normal.

*I* don't think there would be any problem. Conversions are everywhere, and many times they change the shape or heigh of the miniature on either way. Kneeling the Riptide shouldn't be a too drastic change to cause any problem, it's not like you'll put him lying down :P. Adding some height on the base could be an elegant solution if you really fear this, tho.

Last edited:
Will upload images of the my riptide in a bit, imgur is being dumb today...

Well since Imgur is apparently down for me right now, we'll go with some sharable links from google drive - probably better anyways so it doesn't murder the post.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MfREK8p0NFAIJ3hN0chO7VN9R0sSR3ZU/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tz7_e5ZSgdPS8RaKMsXW-dJ6LbAl0XL5/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNDOBm8oYUaGOxBHKyqZFeoCKoc1eBH7/view

Obviously still in progress. I've been pacing myself since I need to buy another one after this to finish my army (and I can't right now...) - and doing one section at a time.

Last edited:
Looking good so far.

On the subject of Riptide poses, quite happy with how I got my second one. I went for shield up, advancing.

Maybe one day I’ll get around to painting it, I’m still slowly chipping away at my 20 Ork command Roster for Kill Team.

New stuff from NOVA!

For years, you’ve clashed across the most war-torn battlefields of the 41st Millennium in hard-fought skirmishes and titanic conflicts – but the galaxy is a huge place, with many dark corners still to explore.

Just as Warhammer Quest allowed you to visit the sinister labyrinth of the Silver Tower and the bustling underworld of Hammerhal, now it will put you at the heart of one of Warhammer 40,000’s most enduring mysteries – a Blackstone Fortress.

Part role-playing adventure, part battle game, Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress promises a cooperative narrative experience in the 41st Millennium like no other – and will feature a host of stunning new miniatures that bring all manner of champions and villains from the lore to life as never before.

Speed Freeks is a high-Orktane racing game set in the desert expanses of Vigilus, pitting Orkish bikes and buggies against one another in brutal, unpredictable death races. As well as containing the Shokkjump Dragsta and the Kustom Boosta-blasta, you’ll be able to bring all the rest of the new Ork buggies to your games.

Warboss on Deffkilla Wartrike:

Adepta Sororitas beta codex to be in the next Chapter Approved - some heads:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...iews-and-reveals-from-novagw-homepage-post-1/

they need to slow down, I can't possibly afford all the shit I want that they're releasing

Upcoming:
Rogue Trader
Speed Freeks
Warhammer 40k Quest
New Imperial Knight Character
Warhammer Underworlds stuff
New Blood Angels Forgeworld stuff

More importantly, I'm falling so far behind with my painting queue!

Anyone in the UK been picking up the Conquest collection magazines in Newsagents? Just randomly came across it going my local show today. A £10 primaris starter kit and £7.50 worth of paint for £1.99. A litteral steal. Legit shocked this is real.

New stuff from NOVA!

Warboss on Deffkilla Wartrike:

Adepta Sororitas beta codex to be in the next Chapter Approved - some heads:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...iews-and-reveals-from-novagw-homepage-post-1/
Like the quality on the sculpt on them new orks. Always felt like people ignore them when talking about armies needing new models. Sisters open helmet is also pretty cool looking.

Last edited:
Anyone in the UK been picking up the Conquest collection magazines in Newsagents? Just randomly came across it going my local show today. A £10 primaris starter kit and £7.50 worth of paint for £1.99. A litteral steal. Legit shocked this is real.
I've got the subscription going. Not going the entire way but I'll collect for the first few issues at least. Got both a Death Guard and Deathwatch kill team going so the early models are very usable. Although someone did the maths and found out if you go through all the 80 issues you get about £850 worth of Space Marine, Death Guard and terrain models for about £600, and that is ignoring all the potential paints and other stuff they may throw in. But yeah the first issue for £2 is a bananas good deal,

I've got the subscription going. Not going the entire way but I'll collect for the first few issues at least. Got both a Death Guard and Deathwatch kill team going so the early models are very usable. Although someone did the maths and found out if you go through all the 80 issues you get about £850 worth of Space Marine, Death Guard and terrain models for about £600, and that is ignoring all the potential paints and other stuff they may throw in. But yeah the first issue for £2 is a bananas good deal,
Yeah it's not really something I'd go for the full collection. £600 is saving a lot but it's still £600 and a lot of te loyalist units on the big poster aren't that optimised for like a 2000pts list. But it's excellent for kill-team/ a small 500pts collection and I'll certainly grab the issues for the hero charcters and cheap paints.

Yeah, I can't imagine staying for the whole thing but you'd have to be mad not to buy the first six given the pricing for the subs/freebies and issue five having a seemingly exclusive model.

Yeah, I can't imagine staying for the whole thing but you'd have to be mad not to buy the first six given the pricing for the subs/freebies and issue five having a seemingly exclusive model.
Five is an exclusive model? That's cool for me, I've planned to stop getting them after my 2nd sub payment which will cause us to part ways at issue six. Fingers crossed issue six is the Lord of Contagion, no use for that model but I love it so it would be cool to add it to my collection.

Lord of Contagion is my favourite of the new model line.

Individual tournaments have different rules but generally I'm pretty sure no one's gonna have a problem with a riptide crouching. LOS is drawn from any point of the model anyhow.

I feel your pain about your models leg though. I don't have a riptide myself but everytime I see one in the standard pose it always look seconds away from their legs breaking because of how top heavy they are.

I tried to take a decent photo of my killteam for this month's painting competition on the Warhammer 40k Facebook page, so here's my Rad Scorpions

I'm not going to win, but I'm very happy to have them finished

I was really pleased to read today that Chris Wraight is writing a sequel to both ‘the Carrion throne’ (the inquisition on earth in 40k’s present setting) and ‘the emperors legion’ (politics within the Custodians/High Lords of Terra in 40k’s present setting). Both are up there with Dan Abnett’s books as far as I’m concerned, nicely separating themselves from the rest of the pulp stuff and creating their own intricate world of competing factions.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/29/ask-the-author-chris-wraight/

I tried to take a decent photo of my killteam for this month's painting competition on the Warhammer 40k Facebook page, so here's my Rad Scorpions

Nicely done! I’ve always had a soft spot for the Adeptus Mechanicus. Back in the day I converted all my imperial guard stormtroopers to be skittari with all kinds of weird cybernetic augmentations, such units always exemplified what I like about the setting, the new models are just lovely for that kind of thing.

They look great, makes me want to get mine finished ASAP. I’ve been doing an hour or more a night when the kids are in bed but I’m a painfully slow painter. Doesn’t help that I’m painting the entire 20 Ork command roster at once.

Excellent name too!

Nice choice on the custom banner. And I love the blood effect on the Rustalker, has a very creepy feel to it.

Alright, prototype color scheme on these Primaris. I already have a bunch of normal marines as Dark Angel successors so I decided to just go with Ultramarines for this Conquest stuff.

Still gotta highlight it and texture the base (plus I missed a couple of bits out) but I like it.

Mostly done until my magnets come in from Amazon. Went ahead and spruced up the base since I had the time and some spare land raider bits lying around.

Looking real nice, red is a good color for mechs. Make sure to whip out your phone and play the Char theme whenever you use this model.

I think Riptide kneeling is one of the poses the kit has instructions for, so no one can have any complaints about that. It’s no different from kneeling pathfinders or FWs.

Modeling for advantage is something I think really only applies to outlier cases where a model is heavily converted, like that infamous case at the ATC with rough riders on crocodiles.