Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the 40K Era There Is Only War

I'm so in for this. Disappointed that the terrain they've shown so far is just doors, as I was quite hyped with the description that there are 2 new killzones included. I hope at least one is a proper terrain set
The other killzone is just the other side of the board. I think one is the ship and one is *a* ship. So it'll just be the same doors etc.

Edit: It's the ship and an Imperial Shrine. But yeah, same doors/walls.

The new kill team stuff looks magnificent :D

Also, what kind of fluff ramifications do we think a new black stone fortress may mean?
I imagine there will have to be some kind of fluff reason why large ships can't get close to explain why a small party is being sent rather than a naval engagement.

Otherwise I imagine they won't commit to which side actually captures the Fortress in the fluff any time soon, so probably not loads.

They’re very nice looking models. I’m way too damn slow of a painter to keep up with everything coming out.

The new ship zone looks like it won’t have much line of sight blocking, and everything will be in close quarters. On the one hand, the advantage given to Harlequins through their flip-belts will make my main kill team a lot less advantageous. On the other hand, my opponents who always sit still and ready all their models won’t be able to complain and say the game is broken when I can’t charge them from out of LOS anymore. Double-edged sword, I suppose. :)

Between Rogue Trader and the up coming Warhammer 40k Quest I suspect that these are ways to introduce new factions by moving the perspective out to the periphery.

I wonder if a full box of the voids men at arms will come out.

how much authority does Roboute have over the Imperium currently

like he can't tell the blood angels what to do, that's Dante's call right?
They meet up in Devastation of Baal; pretty sure RG could order the Blood Angels around if he wanted to (and Dante was totally deferential to RG). He was very respectful towards Dante (and probably not crazy about bossing around one of the OG chapters), so he won’t unless he had to for some reason.

In the novels, they show Roboute as completely unafraid to make huge changes to the Imperium when needed (he kicks out many of the High Lords of Terra), but is also perfectly fine leaving other things “as-is” where they are working.

would you say that, overall, Roboute is a better leader than his father?
no.

roboute is an empire builder, but his flaws are more subtle and actually worse for teh imperium.
(I say his gene flaw is his independent nature, and need to control, that all his astartes share.)
basically Robby's gene flaw could trigger multiple imperium secunduses, and mini civil wars

I fully expect a secret war between Guilliman, primaris and ultras/successors against the essechairly and more religious factions of the imperium.

I think robby G as the head of logistics for the imperium is where he needs to be.

Dorn as the planet/defensive line builder

Khan/Lion as the fleet builders

Russ/Lion as the war masters.

alone they are worse than their father, but if 4-6 were working together they may yet make an imperium better than their father could.

----------
Im building my Tau killteam atm, hoping to get it ready by sat or so

no.

roboute is an empire builder, but his flaws are more subtle and actually worse for teh imperium.
(I say his gene flaw is his independent nature, and need to control, that all his astartes share.)
basically Robby's gene flaw could trigger multiple imperium secunduses, and mini civil wars

I fully expect a secret war between Guilliman, primaris and ultras/successors against the essechairly and more religious factions of the imperium.

I think robby G as the head of logistics for the imperium is where he needs to be.

Dorn as the planet/defensive line builder

Khan/Lion as the fleet builders

Russ/Lion as the war masters.

alone they are worse than their father, but if 4-6 were working together they may yet make an imperium better than their father could.

----------
Im building my Tau killteam atm, hoping to get it ready by sat or so
but wasn't the big flaw of the Emperor was never telling the primarchs about the true nature of Chaos?

but wasn't the big flaw of the Emperor was never telling the primarchs about the true nature of Chaos?
theres some debate.

IN wolfsbane

SPOILERS
Russ went to the underverse (warp echo of fenris where the Erkling, lord wights lived)
the erkling suggested to russ that the scattering of the primarchs was intentionaly on some level, that it wasn't a coincidence that russ, who has the canis helix, landed on the ONLY planet in the galaxy that had humans that were compatible out the box with his geneseed.

that while the emperors flaw could be seen as not telling his children of the warp, it is kind of hinted that Khan and Russ may have talked with the emperor, either consciously or subconsciously on how to use it on some safe level.

White scars and Wolves channel the warp through planet deities ( their planets, and thus the world spirit of their homeworlds) to act as a buffer/firewall, so that the warp entities wont see you.

would you say that, overall, Roboute is a better leader than his father?
His father when?

The Emperor was an excellent leader for a time because he had the psychic ability to relatively reliably predict the future prior to the Heresy. But when he lost that he made a lot of much poorer decisions.

But Roboute is generally mortalish rather than a god. He's not able to pull forbidden knowledge of new technology out of the either like the Emperor probably could to some extent.

anyone here got any experience with Armies on Parade?
I'm thinking of taking my Admech & it's not like I expect to win, but I'd like to not embarrass myself, so any tips or advice much appreciated

Besides it being Ad Mech what ideas do you have in mind? What color is your army and what kind of basing were you thinking of?

Besides that, I'd definitely suggest magnetizing everything. Some people organize their armies nicely on their boards but with no fixed idea of where they want certain models, I'd go the extra step and magnetize and then print out a simple drawing indicating where each and every model goes.

I've got an idea for a train themed board - so I've got an old christmas train set that is to the right scale and fits in quite well with my munitorum crates and servohauler bits, so I thought I'd make something of that - haven't gone all in and drawn it up yet

Trains, be still my beating heart.

That's all I got for Christmas and birthdays growing up and I'm currently obsessed with adding an element like that for Warhammer or Infinity terrain. I think that's a great idea for a base.

His father when?

The Emperor was an excellent leader for a time because he had the psychic ability to relatively reliably predict the future prior to the Heresy. But when he lost that he made a lot of much poorer decisions.

But Roboute is generally mortalish rather than a god. He's not able to pull forbidden knowledge of new technology out of the either like the Emperor probably could to some extent.
Is the general consensus among the fan base is that Big E was a god or just a extremely powerful human?

Is the general consensus among the fan base is that Big E was a god or just a extremely powerful human?
At some point the distinction doesn't mean much. He's a massive psychic gestalt entity with a cosmic sense of awareness. That's pretty god like, but the Chaos gods are effectively emotional confluxes rather than independent beings as such. He's a messy baby smudge that is becoming a god.

I'm fairly certain the rumor engine picture today was from a new primaris grav assault vehicle based off the ok rogue trader deodarant grav tank
I think it might be a grav limo for the Genestealer Cult. We don't want really have any releases rumoured for the next six months where a Primaris vehicle fits, and the aesthetic doesn't really match.

Drax

Oregon tag
I think it might be a grav limo for the Genestealer Cult. We don't want really have any releases rumoured for the next six months where a Primaris vehicle fits, and the aesthetic doesn't really match.
There's been primaris rumors for a while, specifically a flier.

Opinions on Titanicus? Game seems like what I've wanted for a long time and potential way to slowly bring back Epic, but the price point of the box set is ridiculous for what you get it feels.

Almost no interest in it myself. I like how Kill Team, and most GW board games come with miniatures that can all be used in one unifying game system, either Sigmar or 40k. Titanicus is a whole new game system that doesn’t have any overlap—even terrain needs to be sized differently and isn’t compatible with 40k.

Maybe if I were having a lull in my collecting I’d be more excited for it being something new, but as it is there’s too much stuff coming out on the regular for me to justify starting a whole new thing.

I get the pricing of Titanicus but I can't justify another game in terms of hobby time, playing time, money or space.

If I were going to dive into something new it'd probably be Necromunda, Hands of Rome or maybe when Battlefleet Gothic gets relaunched. Probably not though.

Yeah, the price of Titanicus isn't the issue for me, as much as GW have released a lot of new games over the last couple of years and I just don't have time for another one atm.

well picked up Kill Team (first post in here?)

quick background.. I've been eyeing mini games for a while. My brother was HUGE into 40K and LOTR back in the 00s. So I've always been curious on getting into GW faire. Even picked up a couple of LOTR minis 5-6 years ago.. and about two years ago my brother just up and gave my all of his NOS 40K Space Marine stuff (he still kept all of his painted Tyranid and CSM stuff, also LOTR). Well, earlier this year my brother passed completely unexpectedly. So my other brother said I was good on all of the minis. And I STILL never got into them... (still want to)

Ok, the sad part out of the way.. So then I picked up Star Wars Legion. I mean it's Star Wars (favorite films/franchise/characters/etc). and I've played one game. Bowed out of the Maximum Firepower events at GenCon and NOVA just because I didn't have the time to play (mostly.. I Also suffer from anxiety in going to an LGS and doing a pick up game with people I don't know for a game I barely know.. serious anxiety)

okokok. so just got back from NOVA.. and again, mini gaming looks so fucking fun. So I head to my LGS and look into Kill Team.

Seems perfect intro. Small scale. 30-45 minutes. I can use all of the minis I get after my brother passed. etc

So what can I expect? Is it really 30-45 minute games? How does it differ from full-blown 40K? Am I actually limited (for the time being) by the models listed in the rulebook? Are additional models listed in the expansions?

well picked up Kill Team (first post in here?)

quick background.. I've been eyeing mini games for a while. My brother was HUGE into 40K and LOTR back in the 00s. So I've always been curious on getting into GW faire. Even picked up a couple of LOTR minis 5-6 years ago.. and about two years ago my brother just up and gave my all of his NOS 40K Space Marine stuff (he still kept all of his painted Tyranid and CSM stuff, also LOTR). Well, earlier this year my brother passed completely unexpectedly. So my other brother said I was good on all of the minis. And I STILL never got into them... (still want to)

Ok, the sad part out of the way.. So then I picked up Star Wars Legion. I mean it's Star Wars (favorite films/franchise/characters/etc). and I've played one game. Bowed out of the Maximum Firepower events at GenCon and NOVA just because I didn't have the time to play (mostly.. I Also suffer from anxiety in going to an LGS and doing a pick up game with people I don't know for a game I barely know.. serious anxiety)

okokok. so just got back from NOVA.. and again, mini gaming looks so fucking fun. So I head to my LGS and look into Kill Team.

Seems perfect intro. Small scale. 30-45 minutes. I can use all of the minis I get after my brother passed. etc

So what can I expect? Is it really 30-45 minute games? How does it differ from full-blown 40K? Am I actually limited (for the time being) by the models listed in the rulebook? Are additional models listed in the expansions?
Kill Team length can be quick, the morale rules and depending on rolls could quickly take one side out of the game. Once both players know the rules and their armies well enough, you can easily play a match in 30-45 min.

Kill Team is very much no 40k, outside some slight rule similarities based on statistics used, the game is more based on Necormunda, with some bits of 8th edition mixed in and some streamlining of Necromunda. The expansions are merely starter boxes, meant to give you a force ready to go for a game of Killteam, but really its easy to make a force for Kill team, pretty much any army and anywhere from 3-20 minis is required. On average a space marine force for Kill Team will be like 5-6 minis. My orks I run around 7-9 models at most. For some factions you can essentially buy one unit box from 40k and make a kill team with options out of it.

Titanicus is insanely priced.
For a new game it's so bizarre how badly they priced it. You would figure they would price it better. You get so much more from their other starter and boxed games compared to Titanicus

Last edited:
Firstly I am really sorry for your loss, that is tragic news. Answering your Kill Team questions, yes you can play it in 30-45 minutes although most games are closer to 45-60 minutes. I did a 33 minute game yesterday but we were speed rolling like lunatics and it was Deathwatch vs Death Guard so we both knew each other stats very well. Kill Team is very different feel from 40k. It shares it units and like 60% of its rules are the same but the smaller scale and the swapping turn structure makes KT a game were you have to play more reactively and make smart small choices where in 40k it is more of a game where you play out a grand strategy that you have planned near the beginning of the game. You are limited to just models in the rule book so far, statwise they are almost identical to their 40k version so you could easily homebrew any 40k minuture into being a KT one although the KT point value of it might be a bit up in the air. The Rogue Trader expansion will include a whole bunch more new KT units, which are in fact backwardly compatible with 40k itself.

I think titanicus is priced that way, because the player base is so limited.

- and for another route of which no one has thought about.

the imperial knights in titanicus are marine sized. which means fodder for iron hands and augment kitbases in addition to them being perfect for automatons for the marines.

I wouldn't be too surprised if in the next 2~ years we see rules for the "mini imperial knights" to be used in 40k as the great crusade era automaton legions the marines controlled.

Apparently it’s selling well enough that major players like Frontline can’t even get stock. Don’t know what kind of people are buying Titanicus but I don’t know a single person in my local who is jumping in. The one guy who was considering it just wanted conversion parts for his Grandmaster Dreadknights, but he wised up to the silliness of that plan.

Apparently it’s selling well enough that major players like Frontline can’t even get stock. Don’t know what kind of people are buying Titanicus but I don’t know a single person in my local who is jumping in. The one guy who was considering it just wanted conversion parts for his Grandmaster Dreadknights, but he wised up to the silliness of that plan.
I think a lot of converters are buying them to do cool kitbashes.
or use the big knights in titanicus as stand ins in standard 40k

I think a lot of converters are buying them to do cool kitbashes.
or use the big knights in titanicus as stand ins in standard 40k
If that was the case (and I really don't understand how you would use Titanicus models in 40k at all) then the individual kits would be selling out but not the Grand Master Edition with all the rules/cardboard and the non-40K compatible terrain. That's the exact opposite of what's happening.

Objectively, Titanicus seems to be selling to people wanting to play the game, and better than GW's (probably modest) expectations.

They meet up in Devastation of Baal; pretty sure RG could order the Blood Angels around if he wanted to (and Dante was totally deferential to RG). He was very respectful towards Dante (and probably not crazy about bossing around one of the OG chapters), so he won’t unless he had to for some reason.

In the novels, they show Roboute as completely unafraid to make huge changes to the Imperium when needed (he kicks out many of the High Lords of Terra), but is also perfectly fine leaving other things “as-is” where they are working.
Is there a particular set of novels that covers Roboute’s return in the 40k ‘present’? I thought it was just updated sourcebook background, would love to read them.

Is there a particular set of novels that covers Roboute’s return in the 40k ‘present’? I thought it was just updated sourcebook background, would love to read them.
Just one book - Dark Imperium. I really liked it.
I believe a sequel is due out soon.
He makes small appearances in Watchers of the Throne (also super good) and Devastation of Baal as well (was ok).
Technically Dark Imperium doesn’t cover his return; it covers the time between his return and current time in 40K. His actual return is only covered in the three Gathering Storm campaign books.

I know quite a lot of people who have been excited about the idea of Epic 40k coming back. I guess Titanicus probably speaks to those people quite well for now.

He makes small appearances in Watchers of the Throne (also super good) and Devastation of Baal as well (was ok).
Technically Dark Imperium doesn’t cover his return; it covers the time between his return and current time in 40K. His actual return is only covered in the three Gathering Storm campaign books.
Lovely, thanks for that. I really enjoyed The Carrion Throne, that was good.

the sequel sounds interesting and I will grab it when it comes out.

Robby and MOrty get into a duel, and "something" happens or reveals itself that shakes Robby to the core.

IM guessing its another primarch. or maybe a ghostly ferrus shows up leading legion of the damned?

Kill Team seems to be killing it at least here locally. Most game stores got regular kill team nights going now, including 3 shops that never even play or carry 40k products due to space. Lot of folks love 40k but can't justify the price/size of the game, plus it takes too long or too much space for regular play. Kill Team is getting people out who haven't played in a long time now it seems, lot of local guys I see are dragging out their old models to play who haven't touched 40k in a while, but now have a use for the figs.

Any Kill Team players know if a broken Kill Team or shaken models can hold objectives?
Broken can, but a shaken model can't.

Ok, we’ve been trying to figure out if the game we just played ended in a tie or a win for me. Spent quarter of an hour trying to find the rules for those two things. That’s my one gripe about the Kill Team rule book, all the rules are kind of scattershot throughout the book with no sort of sequential order to it.

Will have a good look through the rule book tonight.