When will Assassin's Creed just give everyone what they want? (Japanese setting)

What do you think?

For a game that essentially has you playing as a ninja in all sorts of different settings, I'm really surprised they've held off this long and not just gone full Tenchu.

But it's got to happen at some point, right? I'm pretty sure the demand has always been there.

Call me crazy, but I think the next game may be the one that does it. They have refined the series so much, I think it's finally time that they take everything they've learned and move this series to Japan.

There are way too many games in japan, I want the AC series to keep going to weird places.

The weirder and less explored by other games the better

Pretty sure Ubi goes where people want seeing how many polls they do.
If they have not been to Japan, it might be because most people care less about it than other places.

Also, with Ghost of Tsushima being a thing now, I'm pretty sure it won't be before quite some time.

They seemingly do not want to because it would be too rote.

As someone that wants that setting, I agree with them. It would indeed not bring anything new to the table.

I would be interested to see this happen, finally. Seems inevitable and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. China would be a great setting too.

They did, last year, with Ancient Egypt.

To be honest I kind of prefer it when they go somewhere that doesn't show up much in games (Renaissance Italy, Revolutionary Paris etc.) and with Sekiro, Tsushima and Nioh 2 I don't think we'll be without traditional Japanese settings anytime soon.

What I really want is some Mesoamerican/South American stuff.

Last edited:
They will eventually.

I've enjoyed what we have gotten recently, makes me think the eventual Japan one will be excellent in its scope and detail.

Personally I would love to see the teased WWII Europe setting too.

It'll probably happen, but they'd have to create all new art assets for it. With the current Egypt/Greece/Rome trilogy they're able to re-use a lot of stuff.

I want a modern-day Japan if anything. The samurai/ninja stuff is overplayed, but going through small towns and then actual cities would be super cool.

Ghost of Tsushima's a thing. It's just another AssCreed and Arkham Asylum clone, but in a Japanese setting. It's basically what people want.
I do not doubt the talent of Sucker Punch , but when it comes re creating Cities and settings AC games have the edge . I am sure Ghosts gonna be fantastic , I just dont think they are going for full on Japan re creation

Huh, I thought everyone wanted an AC game that takes place entirely in the modern world and you played as a Desmond-like assassin.

But I guess that ship has long sailed.

I did want it, and it will probably happen eventually, but with all the cool-looking samurai games coming soon it doesn't feel all that necessary. Maybe if they went a little crazy and did modern-day Japan.

They took too long, now i have Sekiro, Nioh and Ghost of Tsushima. I No longer need a Assassin's Creed in japan.

Would be cool if they made one, but now it's one more instead of the one, and it's coming late to the party.

China, Korea, India or even the Khmer Empire would be more interesting of we are talking about Asia. I initially wanted Japan, but now that it's so much more common in AAA games, I dont care to see it at this point in time.

that would be awesome. AC , samurai style, upgrading katanas, kimonos, .
also , japanese culture is so rich and awesome, I think it would be a great idea

I would like for AC to come back to a more modern, developed, setting, I think AC shines more in a dense map.

Honestly, Rogue was so close of having the freedom and density I would like in AC, that it makes me more sad that it was treated as a B-game.

Up until recently, I would have been game for that setting, but Ghost of Tsushima is basically gonna be that. Plus we got Sekiro and Nioh 2 (maybe Yakuza Ishin!) so I'm sure Ubi doesn't really want to crowd that space out too much. Give me ancient China instead!

Feels like we aren't too far off from that happening. For all we know, that might be the next one and will be another game that would taken two years to put out there instead of one. Hopefully when they do make it happen, it won't be at a time everyone else is doing it.

Yeah put me in the "they waited to long" camp. Was totally gung-ho for this idea up until the AC3/Black Flag era though, absolutely, but now it just seems like the ship has sailed.

Don't really care about the series anymore, and it looks like there's a renaissance of historical Japan games blossoming at the very moment. Seemed like there wasn't even anything on the market last gen though, outside of Way of the Samurai.

I'd like a Japanese setting but I've enjoyed the places we've been. It enables me to "travel" to places I never really thought about prior and see a somewhat accurate recreation of the era. What I really would like more of is lore. We seem to be getting farther and farther from the actual Assassin Creed lore. Even Origins; which was touted as an origin of the order; was light on the actual lore portion. It just sprinkled it here and there and then ended on a "oh damn that's where the logo came from?!" moment.

I wanted that years ago. Sekiro and Tsushima stole the thunder of any possible AC:Japan.

China, however, would be excellent. Or Korea. Anywhere in ancient Asia, really.

at this point I want more a game on China or Latin America than a Japanese, specilly since the later has been used to death from japanese devs, so isn't something unique anymore

lucebuce

Community Resettler
There's like a million games set in Japan. Hell, there's an open world game set in Japan made by a Western dev coming out just next year!

This. I actively would argue against Japan in favour of India.
This!

I'm Pakistani and I think South Asia has an incredible amount of variety and history that they could easily make a great game in.

This thread is going to make all the contrarians crawl out of the woodwork, but you're right, OP. Fans have wanted this for years.

An AC set in Japan is a no brainer, especially now with all the refinements the series has undergone, and current gen consoles capable of supporting vast detailed worlds.

They did, last year, with Ancient Egypt.

To be honest I kind of prefer it when they go somewhere that doesn't show up much in games (Renaissance Italy, Revolutionary Paris etc.) and with Sekiro, Tsushima and Nioh 2 I don't think we'll be without traditional Japanese settings anytime soon.

What I really want is some Mesoamerican/South American stuff,
Give us Tenochtitlan in all its glory.