When will Assassin's Creed just give everyone what they want? (Japanese setting)

Eventually, Ancient Egypt was pretty much that tier of setting for many, as is Ancient Greece. I have a feeling/hope somewhere Ancient Asia will be next preferably Ancient India, Japan or China.

A lot of people really wanted either Paris or London in the middle of World War 2. Ubisoft hearing that then decided to do both Paris and London, both long before WW2, both of which had levels that gave you a taste of what it would be like in WW2, and both missing iconic landmarks that could only be seen in those levels.

So be careful what you wish for.

its especailly frustrating given the level of detail we know the AC teams put into their game worlds. Now imagine tht in feudal japan (or whenever Ninjas were actually around, I dunno lol)

They gotta keep something in their back pocket in case they ever need to get people back on side.

Like Square did with FFVII remake and I imagine Capcom will do with a RE4 Remake.

Based on what I've read about ghosts of tsushima it seems like it's going to turn out to be really close to a AC game, for better or worse. So you'll get what you wanted soon enough.

I don't think Ubisoft can live up to what people really want out of the Japanese setting. Most people want to really feel like ninjas. Super stealthy, great combat, and fast paced parkour. Right now the combat can feel kinda clunky, parkour is not as favorable as it was in the past, and the stealth is.... well I think previous entries were better.

Until they fix those things, I don't think they should touch Japan.

Huh, I thought everyone wanted an AC game that takes place entirely in the modern world and you played as a Desmond-like assassin.

But I guess that ship has long sailed.
I still want that.

Well, next year we're getting Sekiro, Nioh 2 and Tsushima(?), so I don't know if releasing a Japan-themed AC next year is really a good idea either.

They gotta keep something in their back pocket in case they ever need to get people back on side.

Like Square did with FFVII remake and I imagine Capcom will do with a RE4 Remake.
I can see that. For their next reboot, even if I'm just 'ok then' on Japan as a setting. Would be cool, but you guys talking about South America have sold me on that.

Interesting ratio of responses in this thread. It's to be expected the demand for feudal/ancient Japan setting in AC has diminished recently with several high-profile games covering the subject/time period.

I only saw maybe 2 or 3 responses with Middle East or South Asia setting. Of course, AC1 is in the Middle East, but a new one farther from the Mediterranean Sea and more in the Mesopotamia region would be neat. With Origins and Odyssey, the reliance on dense urban settings is less integral to moden AC design, so environments like Mesopotamia would totally work.

I don't think Ubisoft can live up to what people really want out of the Japanese setting. Most people want to really feel like ninjas. Super stealthy, great combat, and fast paced parkour. Right now the combat can feel kinda clunky, parkour is not as favorable as it was in the past, and the stealth is.... well I think previous entries were better.

Until they fix those things, I don't think they should touch Japan.

I still want that.
Parkour is better than ever tho. And combat is fine, not all games that go for Japan setting needs to do flashy fast paced combat like nioh or ninja gaiden. Ghost of Tsuchima is taking more realistic , slower approach to combat.
Agree about stealth tho. They would need to improve it a lot if you are controlling ninja

Based on what I've read about ghosts of tsushima it seems like it's going to turn out to be really close to a AC game, for better or worse. So you'll get what you wanted soon enough.
Sword fighting likely wouldn't be similar, Ghosts doesn't look like it'd handle multiple (like 5+) opponents at once well at all. More of a 1v1 and if you don't deal with it fast, you're fucked.
Though I guess if you go by Origins they'll completely revamp combat for a new era.

JaseC

You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel
Huh, I thought everyone wanted an AC game that takes place entirely in the modern world and you played as a Desmond-like assassin.

But I guess that ship has long sailed.
Yeah, I'd say so. An AssCreed game with a modern setting would encroach too far into territory now firmly occupied by Watch Dogs.

Parkour is better than ever tho. And combat is fine, not all games that go for Japan setting needs to do flashy fast paced combat like nioh or ninja gaiden. Ghost of Tsuchima is taking more realistic , slower approach to combat.
Agree about stealth tho. They would need to improve it a lot if you are controlling ninja
I just don't think the parkour is smooth/flashy enough. At least not for a ninja. I would expect to do flips and shit.

I'm surprised they haven't used shadows as a stealth mechanic yet in this game. Like everyone in AC Origins can see so perfectly clear in the pitch black of night lol

As far as historical settings go, ancient Japan is possibly the most over-represented time period in the genre - second only to WW2-era Europe.

Better idea - Set it in Japan, but in the 1980s. Follow an aging Assassin as they uphold ancient tradition & combat in the age of the Yakuza.

I want Japan too.

But I would love even more medieval settings but not like the first one, make it happen in England during the time of the knights of the round table in search for the holy grail.

That would be awesome there is a lot of potentials for this period (Inquisition, plague, legends and tons of legendary place like the Stonehenge)

Sword fighting likely wouldn't be similar, Ghosts doesn't look like it'd handle multiple (like 5+) opponents at once well at all. More of a 1v1 and if you don't deal with it fast, you're fucked.
Though I guess if you go by Origins they'll completely revamp combat for a new era.
To be fair since they changed the combat in Origins AC can't handle large scale groups anymore either. It's so janky it barely handles 1 on 1 :P.

After reinassance Italy, colonial America, the Caribbean pirates, French Revolution, London, ancient Egypt, and Ancient Greece they have to be running out of AC historic settings for future games that are more popular than feudal Japan.

I'll buy you first AC game when they announce finally do it.

From what I remember, Egypt was something like that.

I woudn't be surprised if eventually they revisit some places visited before in a different period, like the reign of William I and the Norse invasions.

To be fair since they changed the combat in Origins AC can't handle large scale groups anymore either. It's so janky it barely handles 1 on 1 :P.
That's true enough I guess. Definitely took time, skills and a 1 shot bow before I was able to handle multi enemy fights well, though I'd tie that up to no I-frame dodges than anything else.

They seemingly do not want to because it would be too rote.

As someone that wants that setting, I agree with them. It would indeed not bring anything new to the table.
I do not get this mentality.

How many big budget AAA, rockstar quality worlds do we have set in Japan, feudal or otherwise?

I can think of Yakuza and that's it, and it's still so far from what I want in an open world Japanese setting game.

Sure we have the upcoming Tsushima but for years we had diddly squat.

I still want Japan or China.

Until they make the combat less ass and stop with the countless fetch quests I don't really care where the game takes place. I really wanted Egypt, and exploring it was awesome but the rest of Origins sucked the life out of the game.