When will Assassin's Creed just give everyone what they want? (Japanese setting)

I'll admit, if they make a ninja assassin's Creed I'm totally in. Black Flag was the last one I enjoyed and that's because it turned out to be a sweet pirate game. It's time for ninjas.

I've always wanted an AC set in Japan, but I understand that there are literally dozens of very underutilized settings in games (which I even made a thread about). I really want to see more representation from other cultures that aren't discussed often in games. South Korea, as someone else posted here, would be very interesting as it's sparesly used in games for example.

Not many climbable buildings at that time xD

But something along the lines of when Aleijadinho was doing his work (1800) would be awesome and full of huge houses and churches
That is true lmao. And wow, you're right! Ouro Preto looks like an old Templar city already, it would be amazing to explore it in an AC game.

Shame we're probably never getting it. Brazilian settings are underrated. (And I'm not saying that just because I'm brazilian, I swear!)

I remember when the original game hinted at japan and egypt and we had nothing else to go by. Then Italy happened and us fans were all like, cool this has been a great detour, we'll wrap back around next time. And then the series will close out in a modern setting with Desmond using all his acquired knowledge and skill as an assassin in the real world, right?

We were young then.

At least they finally did Egypt, and it wasn't half bad.

For those that are saying China or Russia, they've already done those

(I know people actually mean mainline games, I've just finished playing them recently. =P Relatively fun Mark of the Ninja clones, for what it's worth)

Anyway, I imagine they'll do Japan at some point.

I think there is a huge difference between what “everybody” wants and what ERA always wants (always Japan, regardless of context).

I’d argue that a Greek or Egyptian setting is way more appealing to the masses.

I am glad assassins creed has never done japan, feudal japan has been pretty well represented in videogames, the assassins creed series has always been good about letting you experience different historical periods, there are a lot of different settings that i would like to see before they do japan.

So many great opportunities with both China and Japan. So many periods throughout Chinese history ancient, medieval and colonial that could serve as great settings. And in Japan you could Sengoku period or around the Meiji Restoration and Empire of Japan, which I'm more partial to.

I would also love to see something set in Central or South America. Incas really need some loving and would be truly stunning. Incan empire was massive and encompassed a ton of different peoples and geographies. From mountains to jungles to desert plains and coastal areas. And you could easily cover events before or during the introduction of Europeans.

But you could easily do Mayan or Aztec stuff as well. Not to mention all the other civs that don't get much mention, but might be a bit harder to recreate/sell.

I really enjoyed the war time setting of the AC Syndicate flashforward segment. So I would say of all possibilities something like China during the Boxer Rebellion or wartime Japan could be really interesting.

I'm not interested in a Japan-themed Assassin's Creed. Japanese games already have that setting covered.

Just about anywhere else would be more interesting to me tbqh.

Also where the fuck is the Aztec Assassin's Creed game? Set it at the time of the Spanish conquest. Boom, awesome, cool, underused setting with all sorts of historical figures you could use.

Nah, let's go to Rome and make our character even less "assassiny".

Japanese setting would at least make me hope for a story about, you know, being an actual assassin, assassinating targets after carefuly finding them. Like... Like in Hitman. Just, idk, make it a spin-off. I feel like stealth-based assassination game could be a real spiritual successor to the first AC.

I don't know if Japan would work that much for the series. Assassin's Creed has always portrayed several historical periods not much portrayed in the games. Japan with ninjas and samurais have been made in practically every videogame gen. And now with Nioh, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima, the market will be well served on this theme.

Another feature always present in Assassin's Creed is the use of famous historical characters. In every game, there are several historical characters as "star guests". Famous historical figures here in the West. Throughout the series we have seen: Richard the Lionheart, Da Vinci, Machiavelli, the Borgias, George Washington, Blackbeard, Marquis de Sade, Napoleon, Dickens, Darwin, Marx, Queen Victoria, Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, and many others.
I don't know if a AC in Japan would have many famous characters for the average audience in the West to recognize. In many Western countries, at school, the focus is on West history. So it's easier for most people to recognize West historical characters, rather than Eastern historical characters.

Although, a historical game in Japan, can encourage more people to seek to know more about Eastern culture. That would be a good point to make a AC in Japan.

they waited too long.

if anything "save it" for whenever they decide to jump into the future so we can be technoninjas in neo Tokyo...aka my fucking dream game

Yep I've wanted a Japan setting since this series has been a thing. I would have bought it/them day 1. But now with GoT/Sekiro/Nioh 2, I have no need for a Japan AC. They lost their chance for me.

There are loads of games set in Japan, I don't think we need an AC game there. There was a side scroller AC in China on the other hand, would be kinda cool to have a full fledged AC game in China.

There are way too many games in japan, I want the AC series to keep going to weird places.

The weirder and less explored by other games the better
What am I reading? Ninja stealth games are a true rarity, and ninja games set in sprawling fully-realized feudal japan settings are pretty much nonexistent. Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much it in that regard, and it's not even out yet.

I'm not a fan of the AC games, but I'd buy a feudal japan one without hesitation. It's an extremely underrepresented setting in games of this scope.

It's an extremely underrepresented setting in games of this scope.
I'm of the mind that there are extremely interesting settings that are in barely any video games at all, never mind of this scope. Huge swathes of history and culture that are practically ignored in the medium. Given AC's history of going a little bit offbeat with its settings, I'm kind of hopeful they keep doing that.

There kinda aren't though. There really are no big, open world Japanese Samurai games. Way of the Samurai kinda counts but that's a dead franchise.
What am I reading? Ninja stealth games are a true rarity, and ninja games set in sprawling fully-realized feudal japan settings are pretty much nonexistent. Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much it in that regard, and it's not even out yet.

I'm not a fan of the AC games, but I'd buy a feudal japan one without hesitation. It's an extremely underrepresented setting in games of this scope.
I mean in general.
There are lots of videogames in general set in japan.

AC started with middle east, had games all over the place in the world and history and deserves to keep having awesome games everywhere that videoagames in general tend to ignore. Go to africa in the future, to colonial south america, to australia in the wild west. No USA or Japan =P

I mean in general.
There are lots of videogames in general set in japan.

AC started with middle east, had games all over the place in the world and history and deserves to keep having awesome games everywhere that videoagames in general tend to ignore. Go to africa in the future, to colonial south america, to australia in the wild west. No USA or Japan =P
Again, not really. There's a couple series that take place in modern Japanese towns but only a couple. Japan isn't really represented that much in games.