When will Assassin's Creed just give everyone what they want? (Japanese setting)

What do you think?

For a game that essentially has you playing as a ninja in all sorts of different settings, I'm really surprised they've held off this long and not just gone full Tenchu.

But it's got to happen at some point, right? I'm pretty sure the demand has always been there.

Call me crazy, but I think the next game may be the one that does it. They have refined the series so much, I think it's finally time that they take everything they've learned and move this series to Japan.
I’m not convinced it does particularly have the player act as a ninja (as opposed to any other historical murderous cultist like the origin of the term ‘assassin’ or various stealth/infiltration agents etc). It’s just that the sheer number of Japanese games and it’s media influence on players means that the ‘ninja’ is more well-known to gamers than most such stabby types.

Again, not really. There's a couple series that take place in modern Japanese towns but only a couple. Japan isn't really represented that much in games.
GiantBomb lists 1113 games being set in japan

for reference, Jerusalem, the most popular location from the first AC has 12 games

Ubisoft will do it now that we're all Japaned out with Nioh 2, Shadows Die Twice, and oh god, that Sony one?

Anyway, what everyone wants is no modern bullshit and Animus HUD.

How many games set in the Aztec, Mayan or Inca civilizations?
Aztec has 7 locations (none at the time the civilizations were active)
It does not appear to even have articles about mayan or inca civilizations =/

So yeah, perfect location for an AC game

Not everyone wants Japan though... hate it when people use 'everyone', when in fact they mean themselves lol
It's a sentiment I've seen repeated many, many times over the years. Obviously you can never really use "everyone" in the literal sense. It's just a shorthand expression for, "quite a few people want this".

It's a sentiment I've seen repeated many, many times over the years. Obviously you can never really use "everyone" in the literal sense. It's just a shorthand expression for, "quite a few people want this".
Fair enough ;)

For me personally, i really liked Egypt and looking forward to Greece.
If AC would go towards Asia, i would prefer Ancient China over Japan

Personally really don’t care for the Ninja/Japan Assassins Creed mentioned in the OP. I feel like that’s a different IP entirely (although so is the Spartan experience we’re getting in Odyssey so what do I know?)

Would love a return to Rome in the Ancient Roman Empire as mentioned by a few others. Would also like something that explores the ancient South America cultures (Mayans/Incas etc). Do not want a modern day one, not at any stage... but it’ll probably come one day.

Most of the time, when people want Japan it's just because it's "cool". People like anime, they like video games so therefore they like Japan and want Japan just because of anime and games.

Why does no one ever mention China? (Apart from this topic) Especially when we consider so much of Japanese culture comes from or is derived from China.

Every time someone screams for Japan I imagine it's just some hardcore anime fan.

But I dont want it?

I prefer the next one being Rome in all its ancient splendour. Or New York from the 1890's to the 1930's. Climbing the first skyscrapers and travelling through the lost new york (that was pretty amazing) would be incredible.

Also, you know the most boring part of Westworld? shogun world lol

I want Southeast Asia.

But not just any Southeast Asia.

I want the one that is as close to Baahubali as possible. I want them to go all the fuck out and be unrepentantly awesome at it. The gaud, the gild, the celebration of it all... I want that.

And it will never happen.

I’d be cool with Japan, but I’m actually really happy with their current trend of pulling from Western/Near Eastern antiquity for right now. It’s a really interesting and underutilized setting that I think they could probably get another game or two out of.

Ninja and Samurai would be a great fit for Assassins and it would be a cool setting for the series.

I just hope the series actually goes back to the Assassin / Templar story in a good and interesting way, as it's a little weird that potentially the best game in the series (Odyssey) has pretty much nothing to do with being an Assassin.

A game as the first AC could work really well in ancient japan as a setting.

Today's AC with this rpg-lite systems, tedious combat with skills and damage numbers by the tens of thousands on "bullet sponges" enemies, the parkour system that has been almost cast aside as something secondary and the idiotic stealth CANNOT WORK IN A JAPANEESE SETTING as you imagine OP.

I think there is a huge difference between what “everybody” wants and what ERA always wants (always Japan, regardless of context).

I’d argue that a Greek or Egyptian setting is way more appealing to the masses.
I like this meme too, but for once I don't agree. You hear about AC Japan everywhere online.

I'm sure they could do it, but I'd rather have other places. I'm kinda bummed they did a AC China, 'cause I know we'll probably never get that now.

An Asian Assassin’s Creed is long overdue period. Be it Feudal Japan or Meiji Japan, India under the Raj or the Mughals, or basically any period of Korean or Chinese or Southeast Asian history. Overflowing with potential. The beauty of Assassin’s Creed is that historical potential, you can do so much with it. I’ll second the Aztec suggestions as well; seeing Tenochtitlan in all its glory would be incredible.

My personal pick however would be Thirty Years War Germany.

Or Vikings.
Or Russia during World War I.
Or Austria-Hungary during World War I.
Or the sacking of Baghdad by the Mongols.
Or the Crusades again in next gen glory.
Or—

Last edited:
Hey OP, Alexios got you covered

They are having way too much fun with this, lol.

I’m stanning for AC China myself. Would love to see an AAA budget game tackle that East Asia setting. And following their current modus operandi there are a lot of historical periods they could use, that would let that have sufficient historical ambiguity and mythicism that they could play around with for an original story.

Last edited:
It would be fun and beautiful setting, I agree. But is it what 'everyone' wants.

Personally I'd rather see one set around Mesapotamia and in an earlier tine. Stuff like Pathia, Assyria, Babylonia. We haven't had many games set in ancient times.

It is too late now. With Nioh, Sekiro and Ghosts of Tsushima the market is now saturated that a Assassins Creed in Japan will not have the same impact. China or somewhere else in Asia would be a better choice.

As much as I'd love the settings for Assassin's Creed, the next couple of years are already busy with games set in Japan. Also think it's a too obvious choice of location. I'd rather see something different and unexpected. I didn't think an Assassin's Creed game set in Egypt would be good, but it turned out great.

I agree with those arguing for India, China or Russia before Japan.

Not only are they a lot more diverse and significant than Japan, they all had huge revolutions that play well into the AC mythos. Japan would be neat too, but... not even close.

I want them to leave the European comfort zone first
Or at least give us places like Ancient Britain, or Scandinavia or Russia or Eastern Europe in general

China/India would be much more preferable to Japan even though we have never seen a historically accurate feudal Japan in games
Japan/Korea should be combined for a single game so that we get some variety

I want them to leave the European comfort zone first
Or at least give us places like Ancient Britain, or Scandinavia or Russia or Eastern Europe in general

China/India would be much more preferable to Japan even though we have never seen a historically accurate feudal Japan in games
Japan/Korea should be combined for a single game so that we get some variety
I mean, Chronicles did give it in some form for China, India and Russia.

Nikolai Orelov is the key Russian assassin. He's been in the Chronicles game, and in the comics, like The Fall.

Maybe something during the Japanese invasion of Korea in the 16th century then?
Controversial but sure. You can bet some Japanese gamers would be pissed. "Baka Gaijin telling lies!!"
To clarify, there is some animosity between the two nations (when is there not? lol) regarding this

I mean, Chronicles did give it in some form for China, India and Russia.

Nikolai Orelov is the key Russian assassin. He's been in the Chronicles game, and in the comics, like The Fall.
I don't want 2D table scraps.... I WANT THE MAIN COURSE! ASSASSINS CREED: DEVAS!

Somewhere in time, I think it´s almost inevitable for them to go to feudal / Bakumatsu / Meiji Japan, but as has already been pointed out here, there are at least three upcoming games with that setting (Sekiro: SDT, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima). Ubisoft would need a generational leap over those in order to avoid consumer fatigue.

Last edited:
I think it´s almost inevitable for them to go to feudal / Bakumatsu / Meiji Japan, but as has already been pointed out here, there are at least three upcoming games with that setting (Sekiro: SDD, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima). Ubisoft would need a generational leap over those in order to avoide consumer fatigue.
Two of these are fantasy gobbledygook that have Japan purely as an aesthetic and not a living, breathing historical place

I would've liked for Assassin's Creed to become more like Hitman, focused on assassinations while Ubisoft makes a new historical RPG IP. As for what setting I'd like to see eventually, give me something in ancient Mesopotamia. Seeing ancient cities like Babylon or Nineveh would be incredible.

Controversial but sure. You can bet some Japanese gamers would be pissed. "Baka Gaijin telling lies!!"
To clarify, there is some animosity between the two nations (when is there not? lol) regarding this
It's got the right setup for an AC game though. You've the war as a backdrop providing random skirmishes and occupied towns and strongholds to liberate, maybe with Japanese Templar equivalents using the war as a cover for seizing pieces of Eden from Korean assassins.

It's not the most original setup by any stretch but if they were to do it then I'd imagine that'd be their approach.

And as far as settings go it'd probably be no more controversial than something like the British Raj, though if they could do that well then it'd be a great setting.