WritersEra |OT| Publish before you die

Can't fault you for ambition there, and it's pretty impressive you're sticking with it!
Have you ever thought about splitting it into sub-books/arcs in order to try releasing parts or get something out there?
actually it's already broken up into arcs/books.

There is a good chance I will eventually at least let some people read book 1, but I want to finish a good chunk of it before I actually start releasing it for multiple reasons.

1. I've somehow crafted a very detailed world in general, but only in the areas the story has hit for the most part. I'm apparently good at world building when I need it, but I don't world build a ton outside of my needs.

2. I like setting things up well in advance. For example there is a story line I started setting up in book 1 that wasn't the main overarching story that I am just hitting. I like having a ton of little details that in the context of a book make sense but once you get farther you realize were more than they seemed. Basically one of my big goals with this project is for the books to have a good amount of re-readability as once you learn later details suddenly you see things in a new light. There are only really two ways to do this well. Either have such a detailed plan that you can set up such things like that as you go... which... sometimes I can. or the better way have the much later events done and add little details in. For example there is one scene where a background character yells out something in a crowd that merely sounds like they are rooting for someone, and later it's covered that it was a code that meant something. I've always loved little details like that in shows and if I can pull this off correctly there will be a lot in my writing that people don't notice until later.

3. Some things such as my power system are still not finalized. I have a giant list of details at this point, but I am still from time to time making changes to make it more interesting. (like for example for the first 3 books I was running with people can only transform into various demons and around book 4 started realizing how much that limited me and how it would be more interesting if people could basically transform into any humanoid from the monster manual)

4. This is the big one for me. If I release something I am basically locked into that. I want to avoid retconning as much as I can. If I release something and come up with a better idea I'll be stuck unless I retcon it. That being said as I get farther away it's getting less likely. Really I don't think there will be to much changed in books 2, 4 or 5 as I move forward. The main issue is book 1 sets up the world, so I really want to hold off on releasing that until I am truly happy with my world... or I finish my complete rough draft. Whatever comes first lol.

That being said I will likely have a rough draft of book 1 I share sometime in the next year. Feedback for this story is going to be hard given the scale of everything and I am sure I will have things people don't like that are vital to later plot points. It will be good to know but I won't be able to fully get rid of them, but we will see.

even with the outline I gave out to people I got constant feedback about one thing and my response was repeatedly "because I don't want to end on a big cliffhanger." I fully know that stopping at one point in book 1 would be a great season finale, but I also know the scene after that can't carry the entire next season and would rather resolve it all in one book. So that will be interesting going forward with some conflict of goals of that... but I think after the first book the arcs are a bit more clear

edit: I will also note, it's less ambition, and more obsession and insanity @[email protected]

4. This is the big one for me. If I release something I am basically locked into that. I want to avoid retconning as much as I can. If I release something and come up with a better idea I'll be stuck unless I retcon it. That being said as I get farther away it's getting less likely. Really I don't think there will be to much changed in books 2, 4 or 5 as I move forward. The main issue is book 1 sets up the world, so I really want to hold off on releasing that until I am truly happy with my world... or I finish my complete rough draft. Whatever comes first lol.
I know the feeling with that one! Though I got around it by a) doing a lot of detailed planning in advance so I had a blueprint to reference even with the first book and b) making the first book relatively standalone and light on worldbuilding so it left me room to change my mind later.

I know the feeling with that one! Though I got around it by a) doing a lot of detailed planning in advance so I had a blueprint to reference even with the first book and b) making the first book relatively standalone and light on worldbuilding so it left me room to change my mind later.
my first book could be left light on the world building in terms of how the world works in general, but there is no way to do the plot without having the powers involved and those are the main thing I need to have clear.

there are rules, they need to be followed.

It's #ShareYourRejection on Twitter right now - lots of stories on writers working through this most common of conditions. Personally closing in on about 20 this year; there will undoubtly be more!

It's #ShareYourRejection on Twitter right now - lots of stories on writers working through this most common of conditions. Personally closing in on about 20 this year; there will undoubtly be more!
So I'm about to be grumpy old crazy man who's been particularly off the rails lately and just say, when I went through that twitter, I couldn't help but raise my fist angrily going "Look at these people low-key bragging about their sucess!" Which again, is on me cause I have been particularly crazy lately. It also doesn't help I tend to not consume inspirational stuff the way normal people do.

I'm not going to be contributing to that Twitter hashtag, but if anyone here is interested, I've got over 400 rejections under my belt.

Im still only at the nanowriting stage, but it does feel good to have finally crossed 50K on my 2nd attempt at it, seeing 53K words is so awarding (yes its been 3 yrs since I did this story that Im only crossing it now)
still better than a lot. Most people I know never get past 20k on their nano project.

my second nano project I got to 10k and then stopped.... for some reason shortly after nov 6th 2016 I lost all motivation to write for a while >.>

still better than a lot. Most people I know never get past 20k on their nano project.

my second nano project I got to 10k and then stopped.... for some reason shortly after nov 6th 2016 I lost all motivation to write for a while >.>
Holy crap, my hats off to you Nano-WriMo guys. That's just something I could never do, not with those time constraints. I crank out books, but my process takes MONTHS, not a *single* month, that's just beyond me.

Holy crap, my hats off to you Nano-WriMo guys. That's just something I could never do, not with those time constraints. I crank out books, but my process takes MONTHS, not a *single* month, that's just beyond me.
I've been doing Nano for years and get 50k+ words in a month done quite successfully for the most part.

For Nano I can even hit 50k before day 20(like last year where I did it in 15 days or less).
I have to ask, did you feel it physically?

For myself, my day job is also writing, so I'm at the keyboard pounding out the sentences for several hours of the day. When you're cranking out that many words per day, are you feeling it in your wrists at all?

I have to ask, did you feel it physically?

For myself, my day job is also writing, so I'm at the keyboard pounding out the sentences for several hours of the day. When you're cranking out that many words per day, are you feeling it in your wrists at all?
I kinda do but it's not all bad since I tend to write a lot and then stop for the rest of the day, only to write more on the next. I can do 2-4k+ words a day

Editing book four is going pretty well so far! I'm halfway through, and it's getting smaller and better; the problem is, I'm not taking any notes. I said I would. Hell, I said I would the week before I started, but nope. So I'm cleaning things up and marking a few spots as "uh?" but on the whole, doing nothing that'll help me long-term in drafts three and four. Which is going to bite me in the ass, since the world building is pretty off-the-cuff.

Still, it's nice to see the chapters improving as I go. The first ten were messy as hell, but these last ten have needed less chopping. My action scenes are generally still too long, but even then, the last one was pretty manageable. It's like I'm learning.

I've also enjoyed getting back into writing short stories. I took a very long break from it, but these CWC threads are bringing it back in full force. One of these days I should work on some fo the longer ones I want to do and actually submit them to places.

And that's my blog=style shit for today! up, up, and away!

I've always been inspired by how much Stephen King treats writing like a job (duh, of course he does), but I mean specifically in his routine. He wakes up, gets some food, jogs, then comes back and writes for a few hours. I'm trying to make my routine even stronger, but my problem is that it relies on me not being dead tired after work each day. I've come to realize that I've drained most of my juices at work, and by the time I'm home I have nothing left, including motivation. I still force myself to write, but my output hasn't been anything I'm proud of as of yet. I am contemplating setting my alarm 45 minutes earlier. Wake up at 6:15 AM, get some breakfast and coffee, and by 6:30-6:45 be writing. I'll write until 7:30, then give myself 10 minutes to put on my shoes and shit and head out the door. Why I'm posting here is...I'm curious if anyone does their writing in the morning, or anything else similar? I'm pretty set on giving this a go this week, so I'm curious to hear other's experiences.

I've always been inspired by how much Stephen King treats writing like a job (duh, of course he does), but I mean specifically in his routine. He wakes up, gets some food, jogs, then comes back and writes for a few hours. I'm trying to make my routine even stronger, but my problem is that it relies on me not being dead tired after work each day. I've come to realize that I've drained most of my juices at work, and by the time I'm home I have nothing left, including motivation. I still force myself to write, but my output hasn't been anything I'm proud of as of yet. I am contemplating setting my alarm 45 minutes earlier. Wake up at 6:15 AM, get some breakfast and coffee, and by 6:30-6:45 be writing. I'll write until 7:30, then give myself 10 minutes to put on my shoes and shit and head out the door. Why I'm posting here is...I'm curious if anyone does their writing in the morning, or anything else similar? I'm pretty set on giving this a go this week, so I'm curious to hear other's experiences.
I don't write in the morning, but I do write immediately when I get home, every day. Or edit if I'm at that stage. You really do have to treat it like a job, or you won't get anything big done. I don't quite work full time though (6.5 hour days instead of 8) so I have a bit more energy than the norm when I get home. Snacking helps too.

I have been getting up earlier to work out, but that's miserable and I want to stop :X

I love Stephen King but i've learned the "Write everyday like it's a job!" mentality doesn't really work as well when you already have a day job. If you can't write every day, don't kick yourself in the butt about it and try to write when I can. I typically usually use my off days to get my writing done, usually using the whole day to try and get my thing done.

I've not had much luck with it, but I'm not a morning person... so trying to get that done in the morning was rough and made my day much longer.

i don't really function in the morning, personally. I might be able to if i had the time to detour to a coffee shop or library, but i need that change of scenery in between my home and the world for any constructive thought to be possible.

it seems to occur regardless of how well-rested i am.

I write for an hour most evenings instead - generally around 9pm or so. I've tried morning writing and my concentration isn't usually together enough.

Last edited:
I usually write in the evenings as well. I'm a full-time freelance writer by trade, so I spend most of the day researching and writing for clients, which saps a lot of my energy to write more in the evening, but if I treat my novel as "just another piece for a client," and knuckle down to treat it as a "fun article" that only needs to be 500 or so words, I usually manage to hit that.

Welp, you were all right. This is really hard. I've been waking up at 6:15 AM to write, and the waking up part is the hardest. Once I put my stupid feet on the ground and go downstairs to eat breakfast and make coffee, I absolutely love it. It isn't completely bright out. It is quiet. I get to relax in my office with some music, a cup of coffee, and just write. My biggest roadblock is that I generally wake up multiple times in a night. Monday night I woke up at least 5 times, so then getting up at 6:15 was harder than hell. Today wasn't so bad, but I think I need to try some melatonin before bed to see if it helps me stay asleep.

Welp, you were all right. This is really hard. I've been waking up at 6:15 AM to write, and the waking up part is the hardest. Once I put my stupid feet on the ground and go downstairs to eat breakfast and make coffee, I absolutely love it. It isn't completely bright out. It is quiet. I get to relax in my office with some music, a cup of coffee, and just write. My biggest roadblock is that I generally wake up multiple times in a night. Monday night I woke up at least 5 times, so then getting up at 6:15 was harder than hell. Today wasn't so bad, but I think I need to try some melatonin before bed to see if it helps me stay asleep.
getting your brain to work fully in the morning is so hard @[email protected]
As for melatonin I hope it works for you. It's hit or miss for people.
It does absolutely nothing for me on its own. However mixed with my ambian it does have some effect (basically allows me to take half the dose of ambian)
but uh... don't mix the two without your doctor telling you too. They are known to be dangerous together for some people. I can take both and still be up for hours so not a big deal for me. but my mom has memory gaps with just ambian if she mixed them it would likely be bad.

I don't know how I feel about how my brain works.
I'm sitting here finally being good and typing out the actual history of some things. as with false histories (and alternate histories) I need to keep track of all of them.
I've got the next 4 arcs fairly well planned out and haven't been thinking to much about beyond that... and now I have details for two of the arcs after it that came to me while working on how genetics work in my story >.<:

oh well slowly planning 4 arcs, slowly planning 6 arcs... doesn't change to much @[email protected]

anyway, I should ideally wrap up this book in the next week or so for real this time... I'm about done with my writing of scenes I know won't make it directly into the final version (but did as I can only really world build as I go so I like typing out scenes that could be interesting and both helped some details quite a bit) then I think the plan is to go back to book 1 for a while to update it again. Give it a new draft, as well as see what i set up that I forgot. Plus I plan on visiting some things from book 1 in book 9 or 10 so with that in mind I want to make better notes of them.

but yeah just felt like speaking out loud a bit here.
Just a reminder: you don't suck as you think you do.

what if you are at a loss of how your work got so complex and involved?
Though in general I feel like my writing sucks but my ideas are okay... so that's something right? at least I don't think they are really good :P

So I saw this game on Twitter and thought it might go down well here!
For instance, mine would be:
How to tell if you're in an Appleby-Dean novel:
1. You don't know if any of this is even real
2. But it's out to get you regardless
3. You don't have any special powers to make up for it
4. All your straight friends are dead
5. Unexpected poetry
Anyone else fancy a try?

Last edited:
I have decided to get off my ass and actually start writing the picture books i have in my head. I was wondering though how to go about finding an editor when i reach that point. Any suggestions?

I have decided to get off my ass and actually start writing the picture books i have in my head. I was wondering though how to go about finding an editor when i reach that point. Any suggestions?
there are places you can go to get feedback about editors. I'm sure some in here know, or you can always hit up writing reddit as they can direct you.

I haven't won the lotto yet so I can't even think about an editor as by usual going rates with the size of my story I would need a lot of money for an editor lol.

Anyone else fancy a try?
Yeah fuck it. I love taking a piss on myself.

1. It stars a slender, long black haired woman who is kinda apathetic, smokes, and is probably a bit depressed.
2. Love is dead, and everyone in a relationship secretly kind of hates each other either very actively or passively.
3. The female characters are actually pretty good. Better than you'd expect from a guy.
4. Don't quite 'get' the ending, but it feels like its probably really depressing.
5. Everyone is more miserable at the end of the story than they were in the beginning.

sept contest log is up
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7MN6BfjyAw4ouC02ClpRI8GyY/edit#gid=1593262670

usual get 10k get prizes
I will come up with a secondary eventually.

since the secondary last month was
"the secondary hmmmm.... Try your best to pick out one thing that you know you need to improve and spend this month trying to improve it. If you can tell me what you tried to improve and that you honesty put effort into improving it than you will get a prize regardless of words written."

so I want to give
DTL
Xagarath
Flowers
Conker
wee

a chance to say whether or not they managed to do that before I hand out prizes.

I also haven't a clue how to rank Conker as I would credit their negative words as succeeding but it's still a weird situation lol. (for convince sake I might just leave things in that order since that seems to be the order. though unless Wee and Flowers chime in that they did the secondary they don't actually get prizes this month since they didn't hit 10k o.o)

As for my own personal goal. I did some work on my descriptions. but they are still terrible. I ended up not doing as much with that as I wanted because I spent the last chunk of august basically doing in character world building (back and forth dialogue between two characters talking about their goals, and the world in general. Terrible for inclusion in a story but great for fleshing out characters and details about the world)

I have a little side project I am working on that ideally will help me work on my descriptions, but i have something else to work on tonight first..

Things I've improved?
I tried to improve my joke writing (I normally suck at humour) by brainstorming a bunch of one-liners and non-sequiteurs for a freelance contest/open submissions thing that might turn into some occasional work.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Ok all you people, September has started, which means we need to work on the plans for NaNoWriMo.

Cyan How’s the theoretical script that might be called NanoBot coming along?

Who would like to volunteer to run the NaNo 2018 thread? It’s a lot of work and I would prefer not to do it. I will if necessary though.

I utterly failed at being more regular in writing. Unless “doing it once” counts as “more than zero”.
But no, I can do better.
Do you feel like you at least seriously tried? like you at least tried to motivate yourself to do more but then just failed at that?

Ok all you people, September has started, which means we need to work on the plans for NaNoWriMo.

Cyan How’s the theoretical script that might be called NanoBot coming along?

Who would like to volunteer to run the NaNo 2018 thread? It’s a lot of work and I would prefer not to do it. I will if necessary though.
Planning? what's that. I don't know that word :P

May I ask who here publishes on Kindle?

Do you use Kindle Unlimited? What are your thoughts on being exclusive to Amazon vs. diversifying to other sites?

I have both my novels on Kindle/Kindle Unlimited, but I'm small press rather than self-published, so it was really more my publisher's decision.

One of my books is also on Smashwords, but I don't think I've had many sales through there by comparison.

May I ask who here publishes on Kindle?

Do you use Kindle Unlimited? What are your thoughts on being exclusive to Amazon vs. diversifying to other sites?
I self publish through Amazon and use Kindle Unlimited, so yeah I'm exclusive to the platform. I'm not raking in the dough like some others are, but it wasn't really about money for me anyway. Mostly I find just renewing the KU and putting deals/freebies out regularly is easier than going through the process of adding my stuff to other sites. I think I looked into Smashwords once and they didn't just accept the same formatting that I had already gone through with Kindle. There were dozens of things their formatting policy kicked back to me, and I was like, "Nah I'm good."

What type of preparation do people do for nano? Im usually a night before im like "lets do it" and let the whims of creativity dictate what I write.
for my main project it's not much different. I plan things out randomly, and in general have a broad outline of the next 50-100k words and a more detailed outline in my head of the next 5k or so.

the secondary project I did last year I did a quick overall outline, and I should try to do that again. I remember where I left off but I don't remember what the plan was for the rest of the first season of that project.

first season - investigating the mysteries of the town
season 2 - main characters getting stronger and starting missions to the north where the monsters are.
season 3 - learn the secrets of the monsters and various other things eventually leading to a peaceful compromise.

I'm getting prepped for Nano myself. I am going to continue writing a novel idea I've had in my head since 2013, and even wrote a short story on it. I actually started the novel form and finished 2 chapters beforehand, so I'm planning to start early and hit around 20-30k before nano, and finish with hitting the last 50k for Nano on this novel and trying to finish it this year if possible. I am estimating this story to be somewhere around 80-90k words total. We'll see how it goes.

I think I will try planning it out a bit more than usual, as if I don't plan, I rely mostly on inspirational energy which can run out if I'm not careful. Plus I want to finish this thing.