Zeraora, the final 3DS Pokémon, out now in Europe.

Does anyone else just not give a shit about mythicals anymore? They were cool before, you either got them through a spin-off or through an in-game quest, like the islands in RSE / DPPt. Now I don't even bother to get them because they just give them to me.

Although considering that recent mythicals are some of the least memorable Pokes of all time, like say Magearna, I feel like that thought is pretty widespread.
I legit forgot that Zeraora hadn't been released in Europe.

Honestly I am kinda leaning toward skipping the Pokémon as I don't feel compelled to get it if the Pokémon doesn't feel part of the region and lore.

It is weird, this one doesn't feel "Mythical" in any way. Like, we've had fairy type creatures, time travelers, Pokémon that inhabit nightmares, and so on. What's this guy's deal?

I know Mythical really just refers to the type of distribution, but even so, they usually have something special, lore-wise.

(Or maybe this does and I missed it?)
Nope, since gen 6 Game Freak stopped bothering with the lore for event Pokémon for some daft reason.

No NPC mentions Zeraora, there are no new area for Zeraora nor is there an event that plays out when you get Zeraora.

You just get given it and that's it.

Is there any way to get this in Sun/Moon, or do I have to have US/UM?
The Pokémon doesn't exist in Sun and Moon, it's exclusive to Ultra Sun and Moon.

Why does Zereora even exist? They could have saved it for Gen 8 and tried to push it as the new Lucario, but now it's just being unceremoniously trotted out in the extremely awkward timeframe in which Gamefreak doesn't give a damn about 650 Pokemon.

So is Meltan most likely not going to be in the 3DS games even though it could still be Gen 7?
Definitely won't be. They could technically update the games to include it, but they never have so far when a new Pokémon comes to the same gen but in a later game.

Why does Zereora even exist? They could have saved it for Gen 8 and tried to push it as the new Lucario, but now it's just being unceremoniously trotted out in the extremely awkward timeframe in which Gamefreak doesn't give a damn about 650 Pokemon.
I guess it's their way of gaas-ing? It's pretty ineffective at that with the yearly releases and the lack of compelling content. The games have natural legs, and the content distro is absolutely fucked.

So I guess calling this GaaS doesn't really apply

I love the design. Can't wait for a United States release. Hopefully its not at Best Buy or Gamestop and I can just mystery gift him.

I'm sure i heard something about it coming to Smyths toystore in the UK?
Am I imagining that? I can't remember where I read it

Datamining did ruin this. Look how awesome that guy is, imagine the buzz if people were just seeing him for the first time today.
They showed it off officially months ago, though. Even without the datamine we'd still just be sitting around waiting for it.

I hope gamefreak hosts a battle spot special or tournament again featuring Zeraora. Last time they did, it wad only out in Japan and to be totally honest... by all acounts, Zeraora was not a very good singles Pokemon, getting mostly outclassed by Tapu Koko. However, its the fastest user of Fake Out in the game, and Plasma Fists has intresesting applications in doubles, so I hope gamefreak makes a format more suites towards Zeraora’s specific strengths!

Datamining did ruin this. Look how awesome that guy is, imagine the buzz if people were just seeing him for the first time today.
I'm seeing this for the first time today and think he's kinda boring like all the other event Pokemon since DPP

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Sha era hora :v

That thing looks modelled for Smash.
The base roster for Smash Ultimate was finalized almost 3 years ago, so Zeraora is likely out of the running for that (Sakurai probably only had access to the designs from OG Sun/Moon). Maybe Zeraora could be DLC, but then Gen 8 will be a thing.

Does anyone else just not give a shit about mythicals anymore? They were cool before, you either got them through a spin-off or through an in-game quest, like the islands in RSE / DPPt. Now I don't even bother to get them because they just give them to me.

Although considering that recent mythicals are some of the least memorable Pokes of all time, like say Magearna, I feel like that thought is pretty widespread.
Exactly this they give them out there's so many of them and when they do give them out it's not about convience for us it's about which retailer they get to pay them that month.

How about update the game with a limited time event that players have to complete, sometimes on our own sometimes as a community. I like the accessability but damn make it fun not an errand on my way home from work

I'm sure i heard something about it coming to Smyths toystore in the UK?
Am I imagining that? I can't remember where I read it
You are probably thinking of the ongoing Shiny Poipole distribution which is at Smyths in the UK and Ireland.

They could combat it. Just release everything that references it in a patch the day it drops.
They could. But they could have done that since Gen VI. So the fact that they haven't yet means they probably won't. Not impossible but certainly improbable.

Last edited:
Is Zeraora even mentioned by anyone in USUM?

I still want one since it's the last one I'm missing, but it feels kinda tacked on :/
None of the event Pokémon since gen 6 onward are mentioned by the NPC, they exist in a bubble and completely disconnected to the game. Not sure why they decided to take that route but it's making them unremarkable.

Agreed, I like Zeraora and would have used one in my team had it been a regular Pokémon. But now it's just wasted and just thrown out with little fanfare well integrated with the game.

To be fair, Zeraora was unveiled way back on April 9 (before Let's Go! had even been announced) and released on July 1 for Japan. I don't know why TPC waited so much to release it in the West.

Oh, well. I need it to keep my USuMo Pokédex complete. Off to a GAME, I guess...

They worked better when they had in-game events tied into them or hinted towards them, like Ilex Forest Shrine for Celebi, Newmoon Island for Darkrai, Liberty Island for Victini, etc.

Of course, since Gen 6 they don't do that anymore. Thanks again Kalos.

I guess Meltan got a fun reveal because of Go at least.
I think they could make these exciting again if they didn't put the mythicals in the game files at launch and added a small new quest or area into the game in a random update a few months later. Just drop a twitter post saying "something seems different about the world of Alola" and it turns into a community event; you'll have tons of people searching every corner of the game and eventually someone will stumble onto the brand new pokemon. Then "officially" reveal it like a day later after the pokemon has been discovered and everyone is talking about it.

With their insistence to tie these things to movies and gamestop distributions I don't think this'll ever happen though.